Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried painting the interior trim? I'm talking about the piece that goes over the gauge cluster and through the shifter and radio. I have the black and silver colorway for the interior and I really like the look of it. But the silver paint on the plastic piece is starting to look a little bit rough with marks and stains that I've tried to get out.
Either way I think I need to repaint it to get it back to "new". I'm thinking about going with satin black to match the rest of the interior, or the gunmetal gray/silver look it already has.

If anyone has done this and/or knows where the clips are and how to remove the piece and get it prepped for painting, I'd really appreciate any help or advice.
-Thanks

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
There was someone that did this. Do a search in the search bar for something like "Painting dash"....

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Yes, I did it. Be sure to remove the old paint first, or your new paint will wrinkle and/or not stick. Here's how (later posts show mine repainted):

Pics are on Photobucket, so make sure you have a 'Photobucket plugin' to view them.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Funny you should ask as I am painting mine now to hydrodip silver carbon fiber. I removed the original paint with EZ Off which worked well. A word of caution: that stuff is very caustic. I have a chemical burn on my arm where I accidently came in contact with the boomerang as I picked it up. I immediately washed it off but too late. I have painted and dipped the small interior parts such as switch plates and E brake handle and now doing the boomerang along with the auto shifter. Next I have to remove the steering wheel control plates.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I did it. Be sure to remove the old paint first, or your new paint will wrinkle and/or not stick. Here's how (later posts show mine repainted):

Pics are on Photobucket, so make sure you have a 'Photobucket plugin' to view them.
Thanks I just read up on the post. That red looks so cool. I think I'm ready to start the process on mine. I'm just a little bit worried about the clips snapping. It seems like the easiest place to start undoing the clips is under the shift boot and work up from there. Would I need a butter knife or maybe some plastic trim removing knife?

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Thanks I just read up on the post. That red looks so cool. I think I'm ready to start the process on mine. I'm just a little bit worried about the clips snapping. It seems like the easiest place to start undoing the clips is under the shift boot and work up from there. Would I need a butter knife or maybe some plastic trim removing knife?
The clips are metal springs. They won't snap, though it is possible that they could come off the tabs and fly off. Still, I've had my boomerangs (Ive had two) on and off multiple times without issue. I agree it's easy to start at one end and work around, but just use your fingers, not a tool.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts