Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has the GMPP tune been discontinued? Per a post asking about available Solstice tunes the GMPP tune was mentioned as an option and the below reply was posted. I see that Crate Engine Depot website still advertises the GMPP tune, but I know that just because something listed doesn't mean it's available.

"This kit has been officially discontinued from GM, if you are able to find a dealership that is wiling to install and do the ECM calibration it will be nearly $1000 and that will yield you +18whp / +38wtq... true the sensors and harness are available from a few vendors and they can be calibrated by a "competent" tuner"

·
Administrator
17,164 Posts
I would guess that CED still has them in stock. And the "officially discontinued" is meaningless in this context. GM stopped stocking parts for the cars when the time limit ran out. But all the parts are still out there. You just need to find them. And some are being made by after market suppliers.

"wiling"??? I believe that a dealership will continue to maintain your kappa for as long as you can pay for the work. The only issue is how long GM will maintain the tune info for your car in their LAN. I suspect that they will maintain the code (tune) unless and until a change in their system makes it uneconomical to maintain the info. But that will not be for a long time.
Call CED and find out then call your dealer and ask them to do the install.

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
There are several better and cheaper tunes out there so demand will have dropped, but I expect they will sell the tune as long as they can get the sensors needed for it.

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The reply was made by a known vendor who also sells tunes. His reply surprised me since I've never read that GM had discontinued the LNF tune. Along with his claim that the GM tune only adds 18HP/38TQ.

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
The reply was made by a known vendor who also sells tunes. His reply surprised me since I've never read that GM had discontinued the LNF tune. Along with his claim that the GM tune only adds 18HP/38TQ.
Well according to GM it adds 30 bhp and 80 Tq. If we can't believe that how can we believe the stock figures from GM (260/260) as they came off the same dynos.

·
Administrator
8,976 Posts
Well according to GM it adds 30 bhp and 80 Tq. If we can't believe that how can we believe the stock figures from GM (260/260) as they came off the same dynos.
The vendor may have accidentally misspoken, or may have a vested interest in playing down the tune he doesn't sell.

·
Administrator
17,164 Posts
My GMPP tuned car dyno'd 305 hp at the wheels.

The phrase "discontinued" is in my opinion an unfortunate choice of words.

ALL the parts that GM maintained in their inventory systems have been purged. If you go to a GM parts place and look for a part, you generally receive a status of "discontinued". That means they no longer stock them, they no longer order them from their vendors but it does not mean that the parts are not still in existence and generally available. they are just not available from GM. You need to locate the after market reseller who bought the parts from GM when they purged their stocks. GM sells the parts that remain in their inventory to third party vendors who then sell them to the public.

At the same time, GM having purged the vast majority of the repair parts, will continue to do maintenance on the cars for as long as people keep bringing them back to the dealer for work. If you take a 1950 Oldsmobile to a local GM dealer they will happily do maintenance on the car. Finding parts can be a challenge.

Software on the other hand, is still in the GM system as they uniquely retain that code and those records.

·
Registered
7,471 Posts

·
Premium Member
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe 001136
302 Posts
’Ruby‘ has the GMPP tune. It was explained to me that Competition Mode ups the top allowable boost to 21-23… and does not tune down over time. I have engaged it a few times, but never pushed it anywhere near its limits, as I’ve not taken her to the track. Nor to a dyno.

(Yet.)

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
3,173 Posts
If you buy HPTuners (299.00) and buy the upgraded MAP and TMAP sensors with pigtails and proper o-rings (130.00)
WERKSracing 3 bar LNF map sensor kit, Performance Autowerks

You can be up and running in no time. HPTuners has a "tune repository" where you can download a stock GMPP tune from and you can then flash it to your vehicles ECM. The MAP and TMAP sensors are plug and play so no soldering of wires needs to be done and they bolt right in. Shouldn't take more then 30-45 minutes for a novice to complete. The total cost would be 430.00 + shipping. It is really easy to do.

I would be more then happy to walk you through how to do it.

·
Administrator
17,164 Posts
Competition mode does not affect the boost criteria. Competition mode changes the settings in the stability control system to allow the car to "drift" to a significant extent. When in normal mode, the stability system will automatically apply differential braking and cut the throttle to recover from a slip condition. In competition mode, the slip conditions are relaxed slightly so some slipping, as in sliding around a corner on the track, is allowed without cutting power or apply differential braking.

When you turn off traction control, one push, the system will allow some increased rear wheel differential speed without cutting power. In normal mode, when rear wheel differential speed (spinning the reartires) is detected, the ECM cuts power. Turn off TC, you can spin the tires.

Hold down the button, enter Competition Mode and you can spin the tires AND do some limited sliding / skiding without automatic correction.

There is no relationship to boost. The system cuts power totally but does not limit boost.

The only limit to boost that I am aware of is max throttle boost cut off but it then maintains that boost level continuously, and "cold engine" condition. When the coolant is below I think its 180 F the ECM limits boost. Once the coolant is up to temp, normal boost is allowed.

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Competition mode does not affect the boost criteria.
[…]
There is no relationship to boost. The system cuts power totally but does not limit boost.
[…]
I was instrcutd to push the ESC button twice to activate...? Seems to work without holding down the button, but I’m the newb here.

As to the boost, well, I must have been misled by this guy, who wrote: “It adds immediate HP and torque gains that are very noticeable. Boost will go up by about 5 pounds for example…”

;)

OP, PM me if you want copies of the docs from the original install in 2009. The install took the GM tech 1.2 hrs. labor, FYI.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I was instrcutd to push the ESC button twice to activate...? Seems to work without holding down the button, but I’m the newb here.

As to the boost, well, I must have been misled by this guy, who wrote: “It adds immediate HP and torque gains that are very noticeable. Boost will go up by about 5 pounds for example…”

;)

OP, PM me if you want copies of the docs from the original install in 2009. The install took the GM tech 1.2 hrs. labor, FYI.
Sounds more like the Trifecta tune than the GMPP tune. You sure it a Trifecta tune wasn't installed later after the GMPP tune?

·
Administrator
8,976 Posts
Sounds more like the Trifecta tune than the GMPP tune. You sure it a Trifecta tune wasn't installed later after the GMPP tune?
That is the way I read it too. A Trifecta tune switched on and off using ESC status.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Push the TC button once turns “off” traction control. Hold the button down for 10? 15? Seconds puts the car into competition mode.
1 push turns off traction control

2 pushes turns on competitive mode

Push and hold turns off traction and stability control

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
The guy in the linked post--who was saying specifically that the GMPP tune bumped boost by 4-5 lbs.--was Rob the Elder.

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
3,173 Posts
and it does do that at a minimum. I believe at sea level the stock max boost is about 14 PSI. This is not to be confused with peak boost as that is higher. The max boost is the maximum boost that is given once the ECM throttles it back. How much higher if at all depends on when the ECM has been instructed to start limiting the boost. There are many factors that control that on the GXP it is usually in the 1-2 psi area.

When the car has the GMPP tune the typical max boost pressure seen at sea level is 18psi. 4 psi higher then the stock pressure. This is the reason why the MAP and TMAP sensors are replaced. It is because that pressure is higher then whatever GM has for the operating range of the OE ones. What GM has for the maximum is not the same as what the manufacturer of the sensors deems as the maximum, it is a percentage of that number. The manufacturers maximum is the max, you go over that and the sensor is damaged so GM has thresholds they do not cross so if an anomaly occurs it will not kill the sensor.

·
Administrator
17,164 Posts
The GMPP tune does bump max boost. The traction control or stability control do not affect boost. I read the OPs input as turning off TC gives more boost. This is not the case. The GMPP took my car up 5 pounds. 18 average to 23 average. While boost is related to HP, the absolute boost value is related to a number of factors including air density, humidity etc.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts