Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried to buy several "hot" cars in their first year of production. I tried getting a Honda S2000 when they came out. The dealers were gouging left and right. One dealer had the balls to ask $50,000.

I also more recently tried to buy a Mustang GT. Again the dealers all wanted premiums. Most were around $3,000. So just on principle I refused to buy one.

I really believed when I started calling around on the Solstice that the dealers would be asking for big premiums over MSRP. So far I've probably called 15 dealers. Of the 15 dealers 13 said they would sell it at MSRP. 1 said they wanted a $1,000 premium. 1 said they believed they could get under MSRP.

One of the dealers told me that it came down from Pontiac that they better not sell for more than MSRP. The implication being that there would be some sort of penalty (reduced allocations, more audits, etc). This is technically illegal for Pontiac to do, but my guess is that they must have threatened the dealers somehow. I can't believe that they aren't trying to take advantage of the situation like the Honda and Ford dealers have done.

So be sure to thank your dealers for being sooooo cool about the pricing!

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
My dealer's just the opposite. They told everyone before the Apprentice showing that they had already decided to sell them at MSRP, but after the response to the Apprentice, they were reconsidering and had heard that every other dealer in the Bay Area was going over. In all likelyhood now they will go over MSRP. They realize that demand is far out stripping supply, and will no doubt be the case until maybe 2007.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Yes, Thank You Pontiac! My daughter wanted a PT Cruiser when they first came out. I couldn't get one unless I was willing to pay 2,000-3,000 over MSRP. Needless to say, she didn't get the PT Cruiser and still has the 2000 Toyota Corolla, bought at 2,000 below MSRP. She is like me, Chrysler lost a sale and possible future sales for life, HEMI or not!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Premiums

We were told up to 2K over MSRP when we registered for the first 1000. So I guess we'll see when the bill comes by the sounds of this it should be up to zero. They may have recieved a follow-up warning from the dealership? :cuss:

Good News, we were officially confirmed by Pontiac's personal series of phone calls, solstice hat, solstice poster and confirmation letter). :party:

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Mine is at MSRP

I am in San Francisco this week on top of the great sights of the city I would love to see a Solstice live does anyone know if there is one in the Bay area.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
If all the local dealers in an area collectively decide to charge over MSRP, even unofficially, isn't that collusion?

If several gas stations get together, even informally, and decide to charge $0.29 per gallon more for fuel, they can get in trouble with the state attorney general.

If during a natural disaster, someone grabs up all the generators available and trucks down to the location of a disaster and charges triple normal cost for the generators, they can get in trouble.

During the BIG blackout, there were two gas stations in MI that decided to charge over $5.00/gallon because everyone was freaking out and lining up at pumps to make sure they were full in case it was weeks before power was restored. The Attorney General ordered the stations to refund the difference between fair market value and what they charged, or face charges (they complied).

I fail to see how a few local Pontiac dealers can decide to take advantage of a supply situation (even though it has happened in the past) and not see any consequences. There is precedence here - if you get stuffed with the markup, report the dealer to the BBB in your local area and if you really have heard they are participating in collusion, contact the state attorney general office and see if this is legal.

Or, contact GTOJ, in TX, and get your car from out of state at MSRP. :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
solsticeman said:
If all the local dealers in an area collectively decide to charge over MSRP, even unofficially, isn't that collusion?

If several gas stations get together, even informally, and decide to charge $0.29 per gallon more for fuel, they can get in trouble with the state attorney general.

If during a natural disaster, someone grabs up all the generators available and trucks down to the location of a disaster and charges triple normal cost for the generators, they can get in trouble.

During the BIG blackout, there were two gas stations in MI that decided to charge over $5.00/gallon because everyone was freaking out and lining up at pumps to make sure they were full in case it was weeks before power was restored. The Attorney General ordered the stations to refund the difference between fair market value and what they charged, or face charges (they complied).

I fail to see how a few local Pontiac dealers can decide to take advantage of a supply situation (even though it has happened in the past) and not see any consequences. There is precedence here - if you get stuffed with the markup, report the dealer to the BBB in your local area and if you really have heard they are participating in collusion, contact the state attorney general office and see if this is legal.

Or, contact GTOJ, in TX, and get your car from out of state at MSRP. :thumbs:
It comes down to NEEDS and WANTS.

People NEEDED gas, and disaster torn area's may NEED generators.
But no one NEEDS a solstice, they WANT them. Fair market value is determined by supply and demand, and in this case if you WANT a solstice, your going to have to pay the premium. Not in all cases though, not every dealer is selling over MSRP, as the thread starter mentioned he was able to find one that wasn't.

·
Registered
114 Posts
this is all well and good.

they have no premiums, but unless GM gets it act together and fixes the problems stopping the car from going into production - they won't have any cars or buyers either, so premiums should be the last thing they are concerned about right now.

as the delays mount, people are going to start cancelling their orders, that will stop price gouging pretty fast.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
SlipSlider said:
It comes down to NEEDS and WANTS.

People NEEDED gas, and disaster torn area's may NEED generators.
But no one NEEDS a solstice, they WANT them. Fair market value is determined by supply and demand, and in this case if you WANT a solstice, your going to have to pay the premium. Not in all cases though, not every dealer is selling over MSRP, as the thread starter mentioned he was able to find one that wasn't.
Good point - was too :brentil: to think that out clearly.

Am calm now.... :)

·
Founding Member
5,849 Posts
Price gouging is blatant cheating and fraud. The practice is rightfully regarded as unlawful and unethical. Although an inflated MSRP can seem unethical, it is well within the definitions of the contract: The manufacturer's suggested retail price. In GM's case, I suspect they want the dealers to comply for the overall health of the company. This is the car that's supposed to bail them out of their bind.
sman, don't worry, be happy. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts