Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, everyone. Just signed on to the forum. Yesterday, I got my GM card with the Solstice on the front. It looks pretty cool and I figure I'll max out out on the reward dollars for a new Solstice before I ever get my hands on one.

The Solistice is the best looking affordable car I've seen since the old Datsun 280Z. I've had a restored 240Z, a Celica, an RX-7, a Miata, and an MR2 Spyder over the years and now I'm settling in for the wait to get a Solstice when the turbo version is released later next year.

I'm glad to be on board with fellow enthusiasts and share the excitement with all of you. I'm particularly interested in any recommendations you may have on getting my order in with a dealer for the turbo Solistice. I'm patient but want to avoid getting totally gouged when going for the turbo Solstice.

The situation with the Solstice kind of reminds me when Mazda first came out with the Miata. I got one of the first, before some of the dealers really started adding on all of the extra charges when the initial demand skyrocketed. It wasn't too long before the "craziness" subsided and things became more reasonable.

Here's to lots of happy miles with the new Solstice! :)

CK

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Welcome King :thumbs:

I had a 260-Z many years ago.

You'd be smart to get in early for the turbo. We are hopefull some time next year but there is nothing firm yet. Keep your eyes peeled here and then get a deposit down. You can try talking to a dealer to see if they'll take $500 now and start a separate list for the turbo. Might pay if you can afford to put down cash a year ahead of time.

·
Registered
352 Posts
If you just got your new GM card..

call 1800-947-1000 and ask specifically a couple of the tranfer checks that are offered in the first 60 days of a new card...

Ask to make sure it comes with no transfer fee and generates 5% for the new car purchase.

When you get the checks....and have no balance on your credit card....deposit the transfer check one at a time....into your checking account....then wait till the check clears and mail your check to GM card services for the amount of the short term loan plus 25 dollars for the interest..

I did it a few times with new cards and made $500 per 10,000 dollar check deposited. I used to mail the 10,025 dollar check back to GM the day or so after I made the 10,000 deposit and they would somehow pass through the night so I ended up absolutely no interest...

I'd rather suggest to others to wait until the deposited check clears and then mail new payment plus a few bucks to GM...

The new cards offer the no transfer fee checks and still accumulate bonus points ......You must be specific in what you want when you call GM..

HTH

that turbo Solstice sounds like an awesome ride.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Congrats on your new GM Card, CK! I'm building up a rebate in hopes of getting a Solstice Coupe. Anything that will take a credit card I'm now paying with my card (e.g., cell phone bill, car insurance, etc).

JBsZ06 said:
When you get the checks....and have no balance on your credit card....deposit the transfer check one at a time....into your checking account....then wait till the check clears and mail your check to GM card services for the amount of the short term loan plus 25 dollars for the interest..

I did it a few times with new cards and made $500 per 10,000 dollar check deposited. I used to mail the 10,025 dollar check back to GM the day or so after I made the 10,000 deposit and they would somehow pass through the night so I ended up absolutely no interest...
:lol: I did the more or less the same thing with a twist... After receiving my first bill, I pre-paid several thousand dollars with my own funds. Yeah, you can do that. If you owe $30 on your credit card, and send them a check for $5030, they'll cash it and you'll have a credit balance. This guaranteed that I'd have owe no interest when I wrote the convenience checks.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcomes. I guess I'll start querying some of the local dealers to see what I can work for getting on a turbo list.

Also, thanks for the GM card tips. I may try them out to max out the card ASAP for the Solstice. My first experience using the card hasn't been good. I made some minor, routine charges to it yesterday (phone, cable, cellular). I tried charging a gas purchase to it today and it was rejected. I tried reaching GM on the 800 number on the back of the card and that proved to be a frustrating waste of time... continously cut-off. When I got home, I had an email from the GM Card folks stating I needed to call them to confirm my charges from yesterday and in the meantime they'd conveniently frozen the card. Well after repeated calls to the email's 800 number and again being cut-off over and over again, I tried their number for customers out of the U.S. Success!!! I finally got a card rep. Get this. They wanted to confirm the charges because I hadn't charged to those accounts before. Say what!!! I pointed out I'd just received the card!!! :cuss: Kind of difficult to have previous charges on a brand new card. I hope GM's performance with the Solstice is better!

Aardvark, I can understand your interest in the coupe. I'd probably go that route as well if the production was a little more firmed-up. I know Lutz has spoken some words indicating he didn't see why a coupe wouldn't be in the cards. Any word when? I can live with the 'vert, when it's a turbo, though.

The Solstice is sure one sweet looking set of wheels, top or no top! It looks better every time I see a photo. Can't wait to see the real machine. Make mine Envious. :)

CK

·
Registered
139 Posts
Nothing firm about a coupe yet, as far as I know.

A few months ago, a GM exec was showing off a picture of a coupe labeled 2007 Solstice GT.
During a panel discussion at the SAE World Congress in Detroit last month, Mark Reuss, executive director of GM's Performance Division, showed a picture of a car labeled the 2007 Solstice GT. The photo showed the car in coupe form with a sloping, fixed roof.
http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102426

The 2007 model year may be way too optimistic, though. I don't know. I'd like one ASAP, but I guess the longer they take, the bigger my rebate will be (I have the original "blue" GM card, so in theory I could get it up to $3500).

·
Registered
210 Posts
Wish I would have gotten one!

Aardvark said:
Congrats on your new GM Card, CK! I'm building up a rebate in hopes of getting a Solstice Coupe. Anything that will take a credit card I'm now paying with my card (e.g., cell phone bill, car insurance, etc).

Wish I would have gotten the card - I've charged more than 10,000 on my Discover within the last 6 months - I do the same thing with it - for its cash value back - I pay it off each month and then I request the my rebate points as gift cards constantly - and I stock pile them for gifts! Just went online to apply for GM card - I will try to get $20,000 on it within next month or so so I can use the $1000 towards car!

Thanks for info!

·
Registered
3 Posts
General Motors Executives-Please Help!

I think the GM card product is awesome. To be honest with you that is why I buy GM. HSBC's customer service sucks!!! You need to switch to Citibank or Chase like you have for business customers. I was told repeatedly that there is not a Solstice card even produced. I actually have two accounts. One black and 1 Platinum. Have been loyal customer for 13 years, but getting very upset lately. To top it off their customer service is just like Wal-mart in India. Two iconic American Corporations with customer service in India. I realize it is cheap and I do not have a problem with it, but they do not solve any problems and just end up transferring to supervisor domestically so you can re-explain the same thing. I sent them a check for more than my credit line and they told me that was a mandatory hold that they could not determine the duration of weeks after the check cleared my brokerage account. I am a 1st 1000 owner with a FICO score of 800 and can not get a Solstice card, come on. :cuss:

·
5,600 Posts
I need to get my GM card!

Great screen name. The Great Escape is one of my favorite movies. It is one of EVERY guys's favorite movies. I just hope your screen name doesn't have any deeper meaning. :D

·
Registered
352 Posts
Call 1800-947-1000.

From what I remember they give the no fee transfer checks that accumulate 5% bonus only in the first 60 days of card ownership.

After that they don't give the 5% and charge a transfer fee...

If you do it right and ask for the no fee and 5% bonus points...and drop 10 grand into your checking account and the next few days mail a 10,025 dollar check back to them with your account number on the check...

It practically costs nothing to gather 500 dollars in bonus points. Do it twice with the each of the two checks they give you and you've got a thousand dollars off.

Worked for me a few years ago...Worth a phone call at the very least to see if they still do it.

Then get the citicard drivers edge where they give you 2% back to you for each purchase up to $500 fo each year...

I've been doing this nonsense game for years and its a nice savings.

Worth a few laughs anyway...

I'd guess I save between 3 and 5 grand every three years as I lease my wifes Suv's.(using both the GM card and the drivers edge card ) drivers edge check goes to you after you purchase or lease. GM card points go to the dealer. They love these cards...Doesn't effect cost of car to them. GM pays them directly.

HTH

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I hear you HTH. I'm going to pursue your recommendations and I appreciate the tips. Might as well use my wait time productively. ;)

Well I've got one local dealer that seems to have a pretty good rep interested in keeping a separate file on the turbo. Of course, info is scarce amongst the dealers concerning the turbo, at this point. Anyone have any further recommendations, let me know.

Yep, Jimbo, you got it. I'm just a Steve McQueen fan. I think he would have loved the Solstice. No deeper meaning. Yet. :devil:

CK

"WWSMcD?"

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Cooler King said:
Well I've got one local dealer that seems to have a pretty good rep interested in keeping a separate file on the turbo. Of course, info is scarce amongst the dealers concerning the turbo, at this point. Anyone have any further recommendations, let me know.
Great. Most dealers will know nothing about the turbo just like 9 months ago they knew nothing about Solstice when many of us got on various lists. Just tell him it's coming (some day) and to keep you at top of list. Check once every few months and shoot the breeze to make sure they still know your name (and you are top of the list).

Oh and 1 more thing, make sure the "top guys" at the dealer know about this list (GM or sales mgr). This way you don't get lost on 1 sales guy's private list.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bad news to report on using the balance transfer checks or any balance transfer transaction. I received "Welcome" transfer checks yesterday and several queries with GM Card revealed the rules have apparently changed. According to GM Card reps (I've talked with 2 different reps just to be sure), the checks have no transfer fee and 0% APR for the first 6 months but NO 5% credit earnings, even during the first 60 days.

Guess I'd better get charging.

·
Registered
265 Posts
ahh drat. i knew it was too good to be true. sigh. back to earning miles then on my northwest card..

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It used to be true but no longer, at least for the new card. The good news is you can still earn 5% on regular charges, with no annual accumulation limit, up to a maximum of $1000 for the Solstice.

I've never been a big credit card user but I'm charging now. It's amazing how much you can put on a credit card now days (groceries, utilities, cellular bill, gift cards, insurance, medical, ...). I get funny looks from checkout clerks when I use cash, anyway. Ah to heck with the checkout clerks, I just use the do-yourself-checkouts anyway. :lol:

Anyone know any reason why you can't put a deposit on the current GM Card when you place your Solstice order at the dealer? That's another $500-$1000 right there. A $1000 charge here, a $1000 charge there..... before you know it, you've maxed out for the Solstice. ;)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Cooler King said:
It used to be true but no longer, at least for the new card. The good news is you can still earn 5% on regular charges, with no annual accumulation limit, up to a maximum of $1000 for the Solstice.

I've never been a big credit card user but I'm charging now. It's amazing how much you can put on a credit card now days (groceries, utilities, cellular bill, gift cards, insurance, medical, ...). I get funny looks from checkout clerks when I use cash, anyway. Ah to heck with the checkout clerks, I just use the do-yourself-checkouts anyway. :lol:

Anyone know any reason why you can't put a deposit on the current GM Card when you place your Solstice order at the dealer? That's another $500-$1000 right there. A $1000 charge here, a $1000 charge there..... before you know it, you've maxed out for the Solstice. ;)
The grocery store where I work doesn't even take credit cards. Just debit or check cards. I do have my Solstice GM card though, I use it everywhere else.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Cooler King said:

The dealer might not to pay the 3% charge from the card that they have to pay for all transaction.

#507, Sly, Fully Loaded, Standard Radio, no smoker package

·
Registered
496 Posts
Solstice Credit card

Does anybody know if the credit card with the Solstice image is still available?
If so, what bank?
Also, and bank checks with the Solstice image?
If so, what bank?

·
5,641 Posts
GreatWhiteNorth said:
Does anybody know if the credit card with the Solstice image is still available?
If so, what bank?
Over the years most of the GM Card types have offered a "Pontiac" version. These where the Master Cards issued in the US through HSBC Bank. WIth the wind-down of Pontiac, not sure if it is still an option.

Not sure if the Visa Cards issue in Canada offered the same brand customization.

·
Registered
496 Posts
GM card

Over the years most of the GM Card types have offered a "Pontiac" version. These where the Master Cards issued in the US through HSBC Bank. WIth the wind-down of Pontiac, not sure if it is still an option.

Not sure if the Visa Cards issue in Canada offered the same brand customization.

thanks SD, you have come through for me again.
Looks like Chase may still offer this Solstice card.

The GM Business Card World MasterCard

Now I just have to figure out how to get them to accept my application
without an SSN# using a Florida address.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts