Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Have you had a waterpump fail on your Solstice? (please also chose NA or GXP as well)

• No.....don't jinx me!! (I'm under 50,000miles)

Votes: 45 39.1%
  • No....I'm on borrowed time (I have over 50,000 miles)

Votes: 20 17.4%
  • Yes (My car had less then 60,000 miles when it happend)

Votes: 37 32.2%
  • Yes...(My car had between 60,000 and 100,000 miles)

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • Yes....(My car had over 100,000 when the waterpump failed)

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • NA - Normally Aspirated

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • GXP - turbo

Votes: 47 40.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you had a waterpump fail?

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
Ghost, you beat me to it. Yours looks better, but I think it would be good too to learn current total miles on each car, failure or not. And, if you haven't done so already, post your survey over on the Sky forum so that you will have a larger sampling in the data base.

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
Just voted .... I am at 37,600 miles.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Thankfully mine was still under my initial warranty when I lost the pump, so it happened somewhere under 30,000 miles.
I just spent $1,400 last month for repairs and now the engine light went on a few days ago..........we'll see what it is this time later when I find more cash.

·
Registered
192 Posts
There was no provision in the poll for those who've had more than one WP failure, so I checked both the "less than 60k" and "between 60K and 100K" choices (mine failed at around 35k and again at 65k -- and I'm now at 95k and hoping to break the cycle!).

I hope checking two boxes computes properly.

·
Administrator
9,188 Posts
Mine went out just before my warranty expired. Had no warning until I pulled into the driveway. I suppose if it was going to happen that was the best place!

BTW...it's now a sticky.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I should have divided it into 2 different surveys...one for NA and one for GXPs. It will allow you to click on more then one selection because everyone is supposed to chose NA or GXP at the bottom too.... oh well, there's always next time.

·
Registered
117 Posts
No water pump failure.
'07 GXP is up to 3,700 miles now.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
So far, 34k miles, so good. I had the coolant replaced at 5 years, as called for in the manual; hope that helps.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Start it over?

I should have divided it into 2 different surveys...one for NA and one for GXPs. It will allow you to click on more then one selection because everyone is supposed to chose NA or GXP at the bottom too.... oh well, there's always next time.
It's still early, with very few total votes cast -- especially relative to the total membership of this forum (and then throw in the Sky forum, if you include them in the survey) -- so since there are some flaws with this original survey, why not make the changes and start over?

I'm sure virtually everyone who's already voted would do so again, if it meant more useful results in the end.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Heck no... N/A and at 76k of daily-driven, active abuse.

I haven't had the air dam on since I first lowered it all those years ago and have been missing the all of the primary air ducts since I picked up that battered gxp fascia (for $50 :)) and added the turbo. Maybe 30k ago? I also added Water Wetter at that time with the IC blocking the rad AND directing considerably less air through the system. Adding the turbo without a larger radiator system and the silly parts I left off bumped idle temps to ~ 210 from a constant 190.

During one of the many conversations about this, someone did mention frequent coolant changes and I can't remember if there was any validity to their reasoning but due to the backyard nature of my system, I've drained the coolant every few years. Other than that it's been absolutely abused between autocross and daily driving.

·
Premium Member
3,558 Posts
Your a newbe so just to enlighten you the GXP's for some reason seem to have water pump failures usually around the 30000 mile mark and up . Not all mind you but enough that there is some concern, for some reason the NAs are not affected by this as much there have been a lot of posts on the forum addressing this problem .

·
Registered
192 Posts
Your a newbe so just to enlighten you the GXP's for some reason seem to have water pump failures usually around the 30000 mile mark and up . Not all mind you but enough that there is some concern, for some reason the NAs are not affected by this as much there have been a lot of posts on the forum addressing this problem .
This is news to me -- that the failures happen far more often in the GXPs than the NAs.

As I'm sure I've already said far too many times, my 2006 NA had the original WP replaced at around 36k, that one replaced around 66k and may need another one now (at 95k) -- unless my low coolant level ISN'T a warning sign of anything other than the need to add some coolant, which I'll do today.

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
40K N/A auto, recently bought Coupe at 37K, no known repairs, WP still going strong.

Is there any disparity in WP failure between autos and sticks, hard driving and granny driving, etc. as there appears to be between the Turbos and the N/A's? Do autos have seperate tranny coolers?

I ask, because in my experience, engines with autos last much longer than ones with sticks. Of course, the extra wear that manuals impart to an engine concerns mostly the pistons and rings, I'm just curious if WP's are somehow affected by the wilder swings of rpm and torque reversal from engine braking from manuals. It doesn't seem likely, but I just thought I'd ask.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts