Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Have you had a waterpump fail on your Solstice? (please also chose NA or GXP as well)

• No.....don't jinx me!! (I'm under 50,000miles)

Votes: 45 39.1%
  • No....I'm on borrowed time (I have over 50,000 miles)

Votes: 20 17.4%
  • Yes (My car had less then 60,000 miles when it happend)

Votes: 37 32.2%
  • Yes...(My car had between 60,000 and 100,000 miles)

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • Yes....(My car had over 100,000 when the waterpump failed)

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • NA - Normally Aspirated

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • GXP - turbo

Votes: 47 40.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
41 - 60 of 104 Posts

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Not yet, but it's starting to look like it. Looks like antifreeze around the right front of the block. :( 30,675 miles so far.

·
Registered
333 Posts
If it makes anyone feel better; remember in the late 90's, Honda recommended that owners replace the water pump at the 60K maximum timing belt replacement interval. In many instances, more than I bet the percentage of premature Ecotec water pump failures because of the high amount of Accords sold, the water pump would fail and take out the timing belt, potentially ruining the engine (interference engine). The cost to replace the timing belt and water pump in 90's dollars? $700-$800.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Might be jinxing myself here, but since the dealer performed a "pressure test" on my GXP's cooling system several weeks ago, I've not smelled coolant nor had the low coolant warning light come on. Is it possible that the pressure test somehow re-seated the WP gaskets? I'm not sure if the pressure used in the pressure test is higher than running pressure....

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
If it makes anyone feel better; remember in the late 90's, Honda recommended that owners replace the water pump at the 60K maximum timing belt replacement interval...
Kind of the same for Isuzu's 3.2L and changing out the water pump with the timing belt. I have to admit I did it, saved me $500 later in the labor arena. I'll do it again when I hit another 100k.

·
Registered
733 Posts
My car failed at around 15k kms (IIRC).

I think when it happened would be good info to capture as well, as there were earlier talks about how Dexcool starts to become uber-corrosive after 5 years sitting in the tank. I'm under the impression that my pump failure had more to do with that, since my car was already 7 years old from the factory at that time and I never did a coolant flush (and got a free one as a result of the GMPP pump replacement :D).

·
Registered
1 Posts
water pump

I'm just under 50,000 and just picked up my car with a new water pump. $542.00. Special tool is needed for this job.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
What's interesting, if you read the other threads on this issue is that it's only on the kappas. The Cobalt and HHR do not have the same issue. It will be interesting to see how the ATS, CTS, Regal and new Camaro are all going to fair in the future with this. I had once suggested that it was because our WP was heat soaked....the turbo right above it, the cat right behind.....

·
Registered
69 Posts
Just replaced mine at 46k mi. Bit of of a PITA job, but doable. Used the half moon tool bought from Amazon and no whine. I did drop a bolt from the water pump gear into the timing cover, but was able to retrieve it with a flexible magnet (best $10 I've spent in a while!) Thanks to this forum and DDM for all the reference material!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I'm prolly jinxing myself by posting this, but 69,800 Mi. on my Redline and original WP is still going strong. (Fingers crossed!)

Yogi

·
Registered
333 Posts
(Sung to that Martha and The Vandellas song..)

"Summer's here and the time is right, for Waterpump anxiet..eee".

·
Registered
413 Posts
So guess what happened today? No fair you read the subject post.

Anyway in an effort to document for others how the water pump fails for some (like me) I saw the following this morning at the back of my car in the garage. I have expecting this eventuality and been catching an occasional whiff of steamed coolant every now and then for about 3+ months.

You will notice the pink color

Trail goes to the front, center passenger side.

About an inch low on the coolant reservoir.

Various moistness and grime

Now the really good news. I have an extended warranty through Carmax. 0 deductible 72 mos 72,000mi. I have only 3 yrs of ownership and only 42k. Car rental included. I'll call them tomorrow and they will probably elect to have the Chevy dealer do it as they did with the thermostat last year after I warned the crap out of them.

I'm glad this happened before a long trip I'm taking through The Tail of the Dragon mid July on my way to the Outer Banks NC.

Edit Update 6/15/153:56pm
So took it to a local x Pontiac/Buick dealer we recently bought a new Buick from. They say they can't get it to actively leak and the warranty company will not fix that unless it's actively leaking. Mentioned my pictures (that I showed the service rep) and she said they would pressure test it. I told her it may not leak unless it's under heat and pressure because I went to Dairy Queen 3 miles away, smelled the steam and list an inch of fluid! She said she would have them run it hard and hot and see what happens but the warranty company can come audit them and hey will want pictures of an active leak.

I hope this is just a bump in the road arrrgghhh
Update:
Well it puked the next day and they got it covered.

06/19/15
Update went to pick it up and when I got home there was a whine. I knew exactly what it was. Returned it to the dealer this morning and later they called to say it was the timing chain and tensioner as I thought. So they are calling it bad and not their fault. Now the warranty company wants proof of maintenance like oil changes. Yesh this is a pain!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Zombie thread alert!

·
Registered
413 Posts
So guess what happened today? No fair you read the subject post.

Anyway in an effort to document for others how the water pump fails for some (like me) I saw the following this morning at the back of my car in the garage. I have expecting this eventuality and been catching an occasional whiff of steamed coolant every now and then for about 3+ months.

You will notice the pink color

Trail goes to the front, center passenger side.

About an inch low on the coolant reservoir.

Various moistness and grime

Now the really good news. I have an extended warranty through Carmax. 0 deductible 72 mos 72,000mi. I have only 3 yrs of ownership and only 42k. Car rental included. I'll call them tomorrow and they will probably elect to have the Chevy dealer do it as they did with the thermostat last year after I warned the crap out of them.

I'm glad this happened before a long trip I'm taking through The Tail of the Dragon mid July on my way to the Outer Banks NC.

Edit Update 6/15/153:56pm
So took it to a local x Pontiac/Buick dealer we recently bought a new Buick from. They say they can't get it to actively leak and the warranty company will not fix that unless it's actively leaking. Mentioned my pictures (that I showed the service rep) and she said they would pressure test it. I told her it may not leak unless it's under heat and pressure because I went to Dairy Queen 3 miles away, smelled the steam and list an inch of fluid! She said she would have them run it hard and hot and see what happens but the warranty company can come audit them and hey will want pictures of an active leak.

I hope this is just a bump in the road arrrgghhh
Update:
Well it puked the next day and they got it covered.

06/19/15
Update went to pick it up and when I got home there was a whine. I knew exactly what it was. Returned it to the dealer this morning and later they called to say it was the timing chain and tensioner as I thought. So they are calling it bad and not their fault. Now the warranty company wants proof of maintenance like oil changes. Yesh this is a pain!

7/5/15 Finally got this back last week. The dealer said the warranty company should cover the need for a new timing chain, tensioner, guides etc. took forever to get approval and they wanted all maintenance records (I had to fax). They then asked for the front cover to be removed so an adjuster could come take a look. Ultimately it was approved and they paid about $2,400. Now some other issues in that there was a bit of oil / coolant on the lower crossmember. Hopi g it's not leaking. I changed the oil to see if the new oil would appear (plus it needed it). Also getting a CEL for lean condition bank 1 at idle. Hopefully it goes back Monday.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
7/5/15 Finally got this back last week. The dealer said the warranty company should cover the need for a new timing chain, tensioner, guides etc. took forever to get approval and they wanted all maintenance records (I had to fax). They then asked for the front cover to be removed so an adjuster could come take a look. Ultimately it was approved and they paid about $2,400. Now some other issues in that there was a bit of oil / coolant on the lower crossmember. Hopi g it's not leaking. I changed the oil to see if the new oil would appear (plus it needed it). Also getting a CEL for lean condition bank 1 at idle. Hopefully it goes back Monday.
Do you have the torque App???? If so, there is a "freeze frame" option that you can look at on your lean condition. It will give you all the pertinent parameters at the exact time the code was set. Very handy! I think my too rich at idle bank 1 is from my MAF..... Going to wait till it sets it again before I spend the $65 to replace it.

41 - 60 of 104 Posts