Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Have you had a waterpump fail on your Solstice? (please also chose NA or GXP as well)

• No.....don't jinx me!! (I'm under 50,000miles)

Votes: 45 39.1%
  • No....I'm on borrowed time (I have over 50,000 miles)

Votes: 20 17.4%
  • Yes (My car had less then 60,000 miles when it happend)

Votes: 37 32.2%
  • Yes...(My car had between 60,000 and 100,000 miles)

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • Yes....(My car had over 100,000 when the waterpump failed)

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • NA - Normally Aspirated

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • GXP - turbo

Votes: 47 40.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
81 - 100 of 110 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
Does anyone know the brand name of the OE pump? My spare pump is a Bosch and I'm hoping it is not OE. If I ever have to replace my pump, I would rather not replace it with another OE pump which, according to many on this forum, is prone to failure.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
water pump failures are not rare on this forum...

???
True, but we need to remember that nobody shows up on an internet forum to report that their water pump hasn't failed. Like the news never reports on the building that didn't catch on fire.

As John stated, there is speculation that the longitudinal mounting of the engine and/or the turbo might have something to do with it. That is logical in that all of the other applications of this engine don't seem to be problematic to the water pump. His statement of storage periods may well be true also - how many of us record miles driven versus hours/days stored?

As for OEM versus "aftermarket" replacements being better I'm not sure we can nail that down either. There may have been materials and/or design changes along the way for the OEM pumps that would be difficult to trace. The aftermarket versions may have chosen some different materials and/or designs (intentionally or otherwise) that may (or may not) have increased it's lifespan.

Unfortunately I think we're left to our own diligence to keep an eye on these things and continue to share what we all learn.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Does anyone know the brand name of the OE pump? My spare pump is a Bosch and I'm hoping it is not OE. If I ever have to replace my pump, I would rather not replace it with another OE pump which, according to many on this forum, is prone to failure.
The "brand" of the OE pump would likely be Delco - GM's parts subsidiary (though I don't know that for certain.) That being said, Bosch may have been making that pump and selling it to GM all along who sold the replacements as "Delco".

Someone else more familiar please chime in if you can.

·
Super Moderator
7,151 Posts
Just looked up the Daewoo...it looks just like the Sky.
The Daewoo and Opel are both nearly Skys. Dave's point is that there were 100k Kappas built in total.

That poll doesn't represent all failures, so the real percentage is higher, and based on a small sample of the rest of the EcoTec production, non-Kappa failure rate is closer to zero. Maybe.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,445 Posts
Just looked up the Daewoo...it looks just like the Sky.
If you were to see a build sheet for a Daewoo, it, too, would look just like a Sky build sheet, with only 2 changes. It was so close to being a Saturn Sky that GM included the Daewoo builds in their monthly production reports as Saturn Skys.

:thumbs:

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,445 Posts
The Daewoo and Opel are both nearly Skys. Dave's point is that there were 100k Kappas built in total.

That poll doesn't represent all failures, so the real percentage is higher, and based on a small sample of the rest of the EcoTec production, non-Kappa failure rate is closer to zero. Maybe.
Thanks for pointing that little detail.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,445 Posts
General Motors made 65,724 Solstices, and 34,233 Skys and 7519 Opel GTs and 182 Daewoo G2xs.
My point was that GM made about 100,000 Kappas, not Solstices.

More than 40,000 were wearing Saturn Sky clothing (Sky, GT and G2x).

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
The "brand" of the OE pump would likely be Delco - GM's parts subsidiary (though I don't know that for certain.) That being said, Bosch may have been making that pump and selling it to GM all along who sold the replacements as "Delco".

Someone else more familiar please chime in if you can.
You are CORRECT, sir! AC Delco.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Are you basing this on any data? I am not disagreeing, but I haven't seen any data other than what has been posted here.
No, not basing it on any data other than every car website I've ever been to has a thread or two on an issue that seems blown way out of proportion.
I think if it was a MAJOR problem it would have been listed on that car complaints site I posted above, they're pretty thorough

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mine is a 2008. Water pump never 'failed' but at 11 years old and 30,000 miles it started to leak a few drops every time I parked it. I tool it to Buick who still services Pontiacs. $1050 with 3 year guarantee.

·
Super Moderator
7,151 Posts
ALSO SOMETIMES I LOOK AT THIS AND SEE BIG GRAY CIRCLES ALL DOWN THE PAGE. WHAT THE HECK IS THAT PLEASE????????
It usually means that you are using an out-of-date browser or operating system.

Does it come and go on the same computer, or are you using different ones?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2008 GXP with 23k and no water pump problem yet either. Bought it new in 2009 with 80 miles and the only issue I have is the hazard light switch doesn't catch, I have to hold it in for those to work... Anyone know a good place to have a Solstice serviced in Orlando? We just moved down from Indy and I'm looking for someone to service and repair.

·
Registered
586 Posts
"OE" brand is a box. they sell almost everything for all cars.buy from china put in OE box and....most people think it's a genuine ac delco pump for 1/2 the price. it isant. but the quality may be better os worse. Ive seen some with stamped impellers and some with cast machined impellers...I personaly like the cast impellers, but they may be harder on the pump as they are heaver and if not balanced can be hard on the bearings. but might be eazer on the chain than a lighter stamped sheep mattel impeller..... I have one on the shelf too, made in japan according to "JAP"parts.....but that cant be confirmed. and these were global sorced cars so...who is to say where your h20 pump came from? china? japan? mexiaco? argentina? germany? most of what Ive seen on my car say made in germany.....yet much of it is made in mexiaco too. I wish the :poop:rear ends were made in mexiaco... :eek: :unsure: well atleast the ones in the 06's

81 - 100 of 110 Posts