Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Have you had a waterpump fail on your Solstice? (please also chose NA or GXP as well)

• No.....don't jinx me!! (I'm under 50,000miles)

Votes: 45 39.1%
  • No....I'm on borrowed time (I have over 50,000 miles)

Votes: 20 17.4%
  • Yes (My car had less then 60,000 miles when it happend)

Votes: 37 32.2%
  • Yes...(My car had between 60,000 and 100,000 miles)

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • Yes....(My car had over 100,000 when the waterpump failed)

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • NA - Normally Aspirated

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • GXP - turbo

Votes: 47 40.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
101 - 110 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Looking at the number of people that responded to this poll, I would say the real rarity is people that gave enough of a damn to click a box. It is a shame that we have such an excellent opportunity to collect real data and people couldn't be bothered.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've been looking at the Solstice and see a lot about water pumps. I believe I read it costs $1000 to replace one. Why so expensive?

·
Super Moderator
7,151 Posts
Labor, mostly. The pump is driven by the timing chain and a fair amount of disassembly has to be done to get it out.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I've been looking at the Solstice and see a lot about water pumps. I believe I read it costs $1000 to replace one. Why so expensive?
I don't think it's that expensive on the 2.4....not as much labor.....and they don't fail as often either.
I think Heat from the turbo shortens the life of the water pump.

·
Registered
271 Posts
adding to the thread as I am currently going thru this.

my water pump if fine as I only have 35,000 miles; but the gaskets have started leaking so that I have to refill the coolant about once a weak and considering where it is and how it's attached; it's apparently the norm to replace the whole thing rather than just the gaskets by the time you pull the pump to get to the gaskets.

i'm being quoted $1200.

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
adding to the thread as I am currently going thru this.

my water pump if fine as I only have 35,000 miles; but the gaskets have started leaking so that I have to refill the coolant about once a weak and considering where it is and how it's attached; it's apparently the norm to replace the whole thing rather than just the gaskets by the time you pull the pump to get to the gaskets.

i'm being quoted $1200.
The water pump itself is not that expensive. You have to remove it anyway so I would advise just replacing the pump. New pumps come with new gaskets.

·
Registered
586 Posts
yes it may not be the gaskets....I dont even think it has gaskets...just seals.I tink you have a bad pumper. Im at almost 58000 miles no leeks,I did add some prestone wp lube last year.

101 - 110 of 110 Posts