Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Have you had a waterpump fail on your Solstice? (please also chose NA or GXP as well)

• No.....don't jinx me!! (I'm under 50,000miles)

Votes: 45 39.1%
  • No....I'm on borrowed time (I have over 50,000 miles)

Votes: 20 17.4%
  • Yes (My car had less then 60,000 miles when it happend)

Votes: 37 32.2%
  • Yes...(My car had between 60,000 and 100,000 miles)

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • Yes....(My car had over 100,000 when the waterpump failed)

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • NA - Normally Aspirated

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • GXP - turbo

Votes: 47 40.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
121 - 122 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
I wish there was a step by step instruction PDA or something in the way of detailed instructions on how to change out our water pumps using all the appropriate tools (full circle water pump holder, etc...), and ways to absolutely prevent the dreaded chain-tension whine afterwards. The possibility of not doing something correctly during the changing of the water pump & getting the whine is what's keeping me from buying all the necessary parts to change this out myself. I'd hate to create more work for myself, despite loving to wrench on my cars myself. :cautious::(:cautious::(
If you have an '09 or '10, they changed the oil return line by straightening it out from the turbo and you cannot just slide the wp out. You will have to remove the turbo. That's why the shop manual states that the turbo must be removed. I have seen this!!!

Reactions: RedSolstice2006

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you have an '09 or '10, they changed the oil return line by straightening it out from the turbo and you cannot just slide the wp out. You will have to remove the turbo. That's why the shop manual states that the turbo must be removed. I have seen this!!!
Fortunately the leak hasn't happened to my GXP yet (*knock on wood), but there is a leak on my 2.4 that happens every now and again. Only noticed it twice over the last 7 drives I've taken it out on.
I'm havin fun putting bolt-ons on my GXP at the moment: charge pipes, K&N Typhoon intake, DDMWorks brace bundle, Trifecta tune, high flow cat, etc... My heart's gonna break when the water pump on my GXP starts to show signs of leaking.

121 - 122 of 122 Posts