Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious to see how many other Kappa fans own or have owned high performance sportbikes. My plan was to find a car that would give me some of the same "smiles" as does a spirited ride on my VFR. If this car lives up to my expectations I will hang up my helmet. What do / did you own and why did you quit riding? I don't really believe anything on four wheels will replace the fun of a twisty road on two wheels. :thumbs

·
4,592 Posts
I have! Although not a true sport bike, it was built for the same gear and speed. It was a Suzuki GS700, d*mn fast! also had a suzuki cruiser (can't remember the name - it had that harley like style)

I also road dirt bikes in my youth, although I prefer quads now.

Why gave it up, like many, wrecked it, and moved on (ggod thing I had a helmet on). But mostly, I always found motos to cost way too much in maitenance (i.e. tires, clutch,...)

still, i loved them.

How does a MSM or solstice compare in a twisty canyon, roadsters are more fun unless you are an adrenaline junky, roadsters can rock without the intimidation of death at every curve. Actually, I raced a few sports bikes in the canyons in my MGs and Fiat, and depending on the driver and amount of straight aways, a roadster can hold it's own, unless the biker is hell bent on risking his life. just my two cents. I bet there are going to be some disagreements with a roadster vs sportbike comment like mine, but, again, depends on the canyon road and driver.

It'a a question of "insane fun" on a bike, or "controlled fun" in the roadster :thumbs

:lurk

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
wow, this looks like a padgett or solsticeman post!

I had a pair of GSX-Rs. My first bike was a '92 GSX-R 600. It was an absolute pig. It was the first water-cooled Gixxer, and it weighed something like 515 lbs dry. That's pretty much what made it a halfway decent first bike, even though it was a 600cc sportbike. It didn't have the phenomenal power to weight ratio of my second bike.

My then fiance saw me total that one. She was following me in her car. I was passing some moron on a 4-lane road, doing about 40 mph in a 35 mph zone. I was in the left lane in his blind spot, he was in the right. Well, he decided he had to make a left turn... right then, right there... from the right lane. So that's what ended my riding for awhile. She swore she would leave me if I ever got another bike, because she didn't ever want to see that happen to me again. That was in March '95.

Fast forward to August '96. By that time, we were married and living in Monterey, CA. I was stationed there for 10 months at the beginning of my Air Force career. I wanted a sportbike so bad it was killing me. I begged, pleaded, and whined every time one went by and she was with me. I was pathetic. Finally, my wife caved and actually let me take some of the money we got as wedding gifts to buy a '96 GSX-R 750. '96 was an evolutionary year for the GSX-R 750. It was significantly lighter, and at the same time way more powerful than the previous generation.

Monterey is full of rich punks who have nothing better to do than spend daddy's money on their "hobbies" then sell them when they get bored. When I bought the bike, it had 500 miles on the clock, but it was well-modified. Had a full yoshimura exhaust, jet kit, corbin seat, second look tank bra, 49-state cams and computer, and a few other odds and ends I can't even remember. It dyno'd at 110 wheel horsepower. With the ram air, it was probably making 115 at speed. And it weighed 376 lbs dry. It was a rocket!
The brakes were better by leaps and bounds compared to my first bike, it was the most "flickable" bike I had ever ridden, and it had cajones!

My wife rode on it with me a total of two times. It scared the poo out of her. Probably didn't help that I did a wheelie the first time, and we rode with a group the second time, and my ego forced us to try to stay at the front of the pack.

After I left Monterey, I went to west Texas for four months' more training while my wife stayed in Monterey to work. West Texas roads aren't the most fun, to say the least. While I was there, we found out that one of my riding buddies in CA was in a coma as a result of a motorcycle accident. He had sold his ZX-7R and bought a bike just like mine. Admittedly, he was showboating when he crashed, passing a car on the PCH around a blind turn. Between the boring roads, having nobody to ride with, and finding out about Tim, I started to lose my interest in having a sportbike. Tim died two months later at the age of 43. Fortunately both of his children were grown.

I didn't sell the bike in Texas. I decided to hang on to it and see if maybe the riding in Maryland would respawn my interest. It never did. No roads compare to the roads around Monterey... at least not to me. I tried to find other riders to hang out with, but never really found anybody I could relate to. So I decided to sell the bike and hang on to the fond memories of riding to Big Sur and back every Sunday morning with Tim and the gang.

Now it looks like I'll be back in Monterey from Aug '05 - May '06. It'll be tempting to beg and plead for another sportbike so I can relive those days, but my life is different now. I have two daughters (one is 4 and the other is 5 months) that mean the world to me. I can't bear to think of leaving them fatherless or leaving my wife to raise them on her own. I used to have the invincible "won't happen to me" attitude about horrific motorcycle crashes. But that attitude has no effect on the odds. I can't take the risk anymore... and that's why the Solstice fits the bill for me!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Not a sportbike, though I have ridden them. I prefer to cruise. Which is good, 'cause in Kansas every road is straight and level. (mostly) I haven't stopped riding except today it is only ten degrees outside. I have a Honda Magna (far left in pic) and love it. Dad says I will stop riding when I have a really close call or worse. I may, but until then, this car will have to compete with the bike for summer sun.

Attachments

·
4,592 Posts
solsticeman said:
2kwk...

... are you saying I'm wordy? :D
maybe 2kwk didn't catch you're the new, almighty, moderator, careful 2kwk :jester

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
As 2KWIK pointed out, sport bikes and Texas aren't the best mix. Although more a sport/cruiser, I had a deposit down on a new 1200 Sportster that I pulled when I heard about the Solstice. Still might end up with both. It's a mid-life thing I guess.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
solsticeman said:
2kwk...

... are you saying I'm wordy? :D
:eek er, No sir. :blush :willy: :leaving

·
4,592 Posts
2KWK4U said:
:eek er, No sir. :blush :willy: :leaving
Looks like 2kwk found out :jester

Careful DreamerDave, hurts like H*LL when you get bounced off one of those things - and I know. I like dirt bikes and quads better these days, dirts more forgiving, and even better....sand (as in dunes). Leave the hard crashes for the youth who can take the trauma, I lool at it like an NFL player, eventually, you just get too old for that sh*t! But maybe that's just me!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi- I'm a sportbike guy too, temporarily bikeless though. I started with a 600 ninja, then got serious with a Yamaha yzf1000, and then got a Yamaha fz1. Two years ago I hit a deer at 75 mph, totalled the bike, and seriously injured myself. I was wearing full leathers, back protector, etc. (the only way I will ever ride!). I dislocated a hip, fractured my pelvis, fractured my humerus, and dislocated my shoulder. Although I am recovered, I will never be the same. In fact, the fracture in my arm never healed.

I desperately want another bike, and intend to get one, but I admit I'm secretly hoping that the Solstice combined with Virginia's awesome mountain roads will be enough for me. I was a very fit and active person before- hiking, kayaking, jogging, lifting weights and so on. Believe it or not, I still do all those things, but it hurts a lot more, and I've had to decrease the intensity of my workouts. Also, there are many things I just can't do anymore. The thought of another accident, and more permanent damage, does not appeal to me, but I sure love to ride. I've never owned a convertible, but I have high hopes for this new car. July can't come soon enough!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a CBR600f3 Honda for about 4 years. Before that a 600 Hurricane. I love bikes, but am without one now. Living in Michigan doesn't allow me to get the most out of owning one, so I hung it up until I can move somewhere with nicer weather year round. Or until I have so much money that it doesn't matter anymore. :smile The challenge of riding motorcycles is so much greater than driving a car, but they are both fun in their own ways. Lord knows that I can drive a car a lot faster than I can ride a sportbike. At least when the road gets twisty anyway. Just too many factors on the road that keep me from exploring the bike's limits. But I would definitely love to rekindle that 2 wheeled relationship again when the time is right.

·
5,600 Posts
I have a 2001 VFR. Vastly prefer my 2002 H-D Road King. I'd rather do my flying low and slow.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
inspector16 said:
...The challenge of riding motorcycles is so much greater than driving a car, but they are both fun in their own ways. Lord knows that I can drive a car a lot faster than I can ride a sportbike. At least when the road gets twisty anyway. Just too many factors on the road that keep me from exploring the bike's limits. But I would definitely love to rekindle that 2 wheeled relationship again when the time is right.
I16; I think your right. A mistake made on four wheels can be lethal on two. I just don't think a car can give you the grins that a leaned over bike will give you, but that's OK.
Ray; Man I am really sorry to hear of your wreck! I have friends that have had the same bad experience with deer. Hope your situation improves. I think if it happened to me I would leave the two wheel world. Hell, it hasn't happened to me and I going to hang my helmet up as soon as I get a Kappa.
Where in VA do you live?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ariel Atom

Have you guys seen the Ariel Atom. It's an open cockpit, open wheel 2 seater, with an exposed trellis frame. It uses a supercharged Honda Type R motor, and will do 0-60 in 2.8 seconds. I only mention it here because I always felt that no car could ever beat a superbike in performance. And although I wouldn't consider the Atom a "real" car, it does have 4 wheels and 2 seats. And the performance is just phenomenal. Anyway, just thought I'd share.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I've seen it... sorta. But only in the XBOX game "Project Gotham Racing 2." I just assumed it was nowhere near street legal in the US, and thus a simply toy that I couldn't possibly afford. I never really looked into it any deeper.

·
Registered
13 Posts
2KWK4U said:
I've seen it... sorta. But only in the XBOX game "Project Gotham Racing 2." I just assumed it was nowhere near street legal in the US, and thus a simply toy that I couldn't possibly afford. I never really looked into it any deeper.
Yeah, I don't know much about it either. Just saw some video on it from Top Gear, and it was really amazing to watch. If you want, I can send it to you if you have a fast internet connection and either Divx or Windows Media Player. I can use my whalemail account.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I PM'd ya. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Got the vid. Thanks! Man, imagine the complaints we'd read here if this were an Arial Atom forum. The "boot" is about the size of a 6-pack cooler, and there is absolutely no top at all! Sounds like a dream machine to me!

·
Registered
55 Posts
BAH!! All i see here is "i USED to have..." and "it's not a sportbike but..."

leave it to the chick to own up!! My 2001 CBR F4i. I now have new exhaust and rim tape installed and am doing a headlight conversion over the winter (pic was taken last summer). :cool

kristina

1 - 20 of 26 Posts