Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Have you pre-ordered a Solstice?

• I've already pre-ordered and I'm in the top 5 at my dealer.

Votes: 30 40.5%
  • I've already pre-ordered and I'm NOT in the top 5 at my dealer.

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • I've already pre-ordered and I don't know my place in line.

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • I plan on pre-ordering before April 15th with a dealer to try to get one of the 1000.

Votes: 14 18.9%
  • I'm going to pre-order with a dealer but I don't care about the first 1000.

Votes: 4 5.4%
  • I'm not going to pre-order at all.

Votes: 24 32.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some discussion has come up about how likely the chances of getting one of the first 1000 Solsti would be. It's also been a while since we did the last poll on if people had pre-ordered or not, and that was before all the recent dealer information had been let out.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I will actually be moving to PA in the next couple months, so preordering here and transporting the car to my new residence wouldn't make a lot of sense. I will probably preorder once I move, but I'm not going to bother trying to get one of the first 1000.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I have an understanding with my dealer that I am first on the list. We will spec order a Solstice once we are capable of doing so. Don't like my chances on the first 1000 because I think most are going to bigger and warmer markets. Gonna try though. I am getting a little tired :yawn: of waiting, but Apr 15th is only a little over a month away!

·
Registered
33 Posts
is it worth it?

I really don't see the point of trying for the first 1000 personally. With the number of these cars being produced for regular production and the fact its just anohter GM other than having a few gimiks I highly doubt they will be worth anymore than a regular solsitice when it comes time to sell. Unless they come with something so special that it makes them a must have like say unique colours, special wheels, unique interior etc... just a few badges hardly sets them apart. If collecting the car for resale of this "special edition" people need to keep the car PERFECT with zero moddifications, I think there was a topic a long while back about storing a Sostice for future resale, I belive the concensus was it was not worth while.

Now if you get these first 1000 say two months before the rest it might be "cool" to have the only one on the block for that time.

Just my opinion, lets see where everyone else is at on this one.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I am buying this car because I want it for myself. I have no plans on resale... I just want the first 1,000 because it is just very cool. I guess being the only kid on the block AT LEAST for two months or so will be a nice side-effect.

I work at a music store and I collect guitars... and I have a number of very expensive guitars... but I don't buy them for resale (although I could)... I buy because I enjoy having them.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Personally it's a matter of timing for me

I'll be switching coasts on July 15th. I'm afraid if I don't get one of the first 1,000, I might have to canx my order with my dealer here and take my chances on having to pay over MSRP or wait 'til they come back down in CA. Needless to say, I'd like to arrive in California with roadster-in-hand. I'll only be living there for 10 months, and I want to enjoy it while I can.

As for the "added value" factor, that doesn't really concern me. I plan to modify mine, so I'll effectively make the other 999 "special" cars worth a little more in 20 years when that might mean something to a collector.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
I've had $500 deposit down in Jan. They tell me I'm #1 but I'll believe it when my order is into GM's system.

·
Registered
46 Posts
2KWK4U said:
I'll be switching coasts on July 15th. I'm afraid if I don't get one of the first 1,000, I might have to canx my order with my dealer here and take my chances on having to pay over MSRP or wait 'til they come back down in CA. Needless to say, I'd like to arrive in California with roadster-in-hand. I'll only be living there for 10 months, and I want to enjoy it while I can.

As for the "added value" factor, that doesn't really concern me. I plan to modify mine, so I'll effectively make the other 999 "special" cars worth a little more in 20 years when that might mean something to a collector.
California and a Roadster! You'll be living the dream.

I'm not going to buy off the lot, but I'll wait a few months before I head to the Pontiac dealer. Nothing against car salespeople, but I think my local Pontiac dealers are going to be pretty aggressive about price at first.

·
Registered
58 Posts
If history is any indication of what the future value of the solstice will be then it makes alot of sense to hold onto it for some fuure value. In my life I've owned a 1963 Corvette split window, A 1963 1/2 Mustang convertible, a 1967 Camarro. I consider these cars very collectable and their current price shows that alot of other people do too. I didn't hold on to any of these cars and I have always thought that if ever I get the chance again to buy a sure thing (and Solstice is a sure thing to me) that I would buy it and hold on to it. Will I ever sell...who knows, but I am going to keep this car for a long time. And :) :) :)

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GreatWhiteNorth said:
I would gladly pre-order if I could but does not look like GM Canada is going to participate in the program.
You can more then likely go pre-order with a dealer, you just can't participate in the first 1000 pre-order.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have been a member of this forum for a couple months now. It has been of tremondous value to me and has allowed me to build upon the excitement I first caught while attending the NAIAS in Detroit. I plan on ordering my Solstice on April 15th along with many other's I am certain. This forum has been of great help to me. I just hope that I am one of the first 1000. My Hats off to all the members - You're GREAT !! :) :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think this site will become a great asset for everyone once we have the cars too! Ive been a member on http://www.mirafiori.com/ for years, i just sold my car in the fall, but i still go back to chat once in a while, forums can be great communites for information and ideas.

dlent said:
I have been a member of this forum for a couple months now. It has been of tremondous value to me and has allowed me to build upon the excitement I first caught while attending the NAIAS in Detroit. I plan on ordering my Solstice on April 15th along with many other's I am certain. This forum has been of great help to me. I just hope that I am one of the first 1000. My Hats off to all the members - You're GREAT !! :) :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
ambient said:
I really don't see the point of trying for the first 1000 personally. With the number of these cars being produced for regular production and the fact its just anohter GM other than having a few gimiks I highly doubt they will be worth anymore than a regular solsitice when it comes time to sell. Unless they come with something so special that it makes them a must have like say unique colours, special wheels, unique interior etc... just a few badges hardly sets them apart. If collecting the car for resale of this "special edition" people need to keep the car PERFECT with zero moddifications, I think there was a topic a long while back about storing a Sostice for future resale, I belive the concensus was it was not worth while.

Now if you get these first 1000 say two months before the rest it might be "cool" to have the only one on the block for that time.

Just my opinion, lets see where everyone else is at on this one.

Everyone puts a different value on different things. All you have to do is go to a household auction or look on eBay. One person's junk is another person's treasure.

My father-in-law had one of the first '55 T-birds made. He sold it last year after it had been stored for 25 years. It was not in great shape anymore, but you know what? He got a premium price for it because it was one of the earlier models. I think the same will hold true for the Solstice and I'm going to go for one of the first 1000. Been saving my nickles and dimes for something special like this, and the time is now.

I bought a PT because it was "cool". But when 300,000 had been made it turned out to be just another car. With a limited production of 20,000 the scarcity is going to make it special, just my opinion.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Personally, I tend not to think of a car as an investment since it will take 30 years to get a return, and that implies that the car is in nice condition. With that thought, I would rather wait a little while to see what I am buying before I sign on the dotted line. I would really hate to order the car, pay the dealer, and not fit. Also, being a student and borowing 35k a year for the next 3 years will sort of prohibit me from buying a solstice, but once I graduate I can't wait to get a nice red one with a pair of black stripes and a boosted engine. :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Blk37Special said:
I bought a PT because it was "cool". But when 300,000 had been made it turned out to be just another car. With a limited production of 20,000 the scarcity is going to make it special, just my opinion.
Add to that the even larger scarcity of the first 1000 specially badged Solsti with unique VINs and you've got collector items on your hands one day.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Brian said:
With that thought, I would rather wait a little while to see what I am buying before I sign on the dotted line. I would really hate to order the car, pay the dealer, and not fit.
That is my big dilemma, I really want this car, but do I want to sign/or put a deposit down and risk losing it without even sitting in it to see if it's comfortable, or to see if there really is a trunk that will hold more than 1 bag of groceries. What do I do What do I do, only if I was a millionare

·
Registered
8 Posts
It would be nice to be to get one of the first 1000, but if not if would be nicer if the car can be out before labor day (living in the north alows this car only to be used for six months). I have lucked out being number two on the list at my dealership, the sales manager says he has twenty three names down already.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts