Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a new car. I am driving a 1988 Prelude right now that has 199k miles on it. The car has been dependable and gets 30MPG driving over a mountain 40 miles to work every day. I can't complain. Last week there was a problem that resulted in a rubber part coming off and landing on the exhaust pipe that lead to a fire. Fortunately I put it out in time to save the car and after repairs and a safety check it is back on the road. That episode last week showed me that I need a new car.

I haven't yet ordered a new Solstice but I do know that it is the car I want. There are a few things keeping me from buying one now:

· I need a new car. I am driving a 1988 Prelude right now that has 199k miles on it. The car has been dependable and gets 30MPG driving over a mountain 40 miles to work every day. I can't complain. Last week there was a problem that resulted in a rubber part coming off and landing on the exhaust pipe that lead to a fire. Fortunately I put it out in time to save the car and after repairs and a safety check it is back on the road. That episode last week showed me that I need a new car.

· I haven't yet ordered a new Solstice but I do know that it is the car I want. There are a few things keeping me from buying one now:

· I am 6'05". I know everyone says I will fit in the car but I am not putting any money down until I sit in the car.

· No gauges. I wonder if they will include temperature and oil pressure gauges on the GT model

· First year. Everyone says I have nothing to worry about because of extensive testing but I am still worried about buying the first year of a new car. I am not worried about the drive train as much as I am worried about things like leaking tops, finding out that things on the dash or cabin would have been better in different places (the cup holder comes to mind), and maybe some other small issues that will be fixed on production year two.

· More options may be available next year. Wouldn't it be nice to get things like the dual exhaust factory and not pay for two exhaust systems and labor to install the new one.

The things that make me want to buy a new Solstice this year are:

· I need a new car. My car makes me worried.

· I wonder if they are going to raise the base price next year

As you can see the list of reasons to wait is longer than the list to buy now. Is there anything you can think of to talk me out of it other than I can have a Solstice earlier if I bought now?

·
Registered
281 Posts
No love for a Honda S2000?

No, wait, I'm not being a troll. Really. The S2000 has gone through half-a-decade of improvement and build refinement. It's a great car, great looking car, great performance car.

A new Solstice is going to be hard to get for a while. If you need a new car now, a new S2000 can be had today for thousands under sticker.

Actually, if you got a new S2000, it'd hold its under sticker sale value pretty well, I bet, for a few years, at least, and when the Turbo Solstice hits the streets, you can trade-in the S2000.

·
Banned
69 Posts
The Batman said:
No love for a Honda S2000?

No, wait, I'm not being a troll. Really. The S2000 has gone through half-a-decade of improvement and build refinement. It's a great car, great looking car, great performance car.

A new Solstice is going to be hard to get for a while. If you need a new car now, a new S2000 can be had today for thousands under sticker.

Actually, if you got a new S2000, it'd hold its under sticker sale value pretty well, I bet, for a few years, at least, and when the Turbo Solstice hits the streets, you can trade-in the S2000.
Thats exactly what im doing, my S2k will be out the door when i can get my hands on a Sky...or maybe a sol, i like the Sky better though. but ya, i see your concern man, its just all your decision...but also keep in mind that if you have not ordered one yet like me. then we will not be able to get cars until probably early next year...they are going to sell like no other, and the first 10,000 or so are already spoken for...so if you need a new car now. then you better keep looking

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't need a new car today. I am a mechanic and fix cars so I can keep this one on the road for as long as I need to. The trouble is I am worried that there will be a major failure that will cost more than the car is worth. I for sure don't want to buy another new car and then trade it in later.

What I was after is do you think there is anything that I am missing that would sway me to order now? How legitimate do you think my concerns are?

·
Registered
350 Posts
bob95065 said:
How legitimate do you think my concerns are?
I think that some are quite legitimate. Although I have heard a report saying that at 6'5" the person fit in the car, but I have also heard that at 6'1" the person didn't fit. I think that this is going to be rather subjective. If a person is use to driving an SUV there is a good chance that they might think that they don't fit. I think the true of it all is that over 6'1" it is questionable as to whether people will fit or not.

I don't think anyone knows what they will do with the base price. IMO I don't think that they will raise it. From the very begining (3 years ago) they set out to sell if for under 20 grand and they are doing that why would they all of sudden abandon that. Maybe after the first redesign they will raise it.

My car makes me worried too. I am leaking power steering fluid and coolant from the engine block. It is not worth fixing, but I can keep it running until my new Sol comes. It just means putting water in the the thing every day

There might not be as many gauges, but I am pretty sure that the DIC offers and engine temp gauge, so that may not be as big of a concern and I think that there is a warning light for the oil pressure.

More options will be available next year, but that it up to you to decide that one.

1st year model will have more problems, but any major ones they will fix and they others you could fix or they could be delt with

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'd keep the Prelude & try to nurse it along. Alternately, maybe you can find a decent used-but-newer-than-the-Prelude car that won't blow up but that you can sell when your Solstice concerns have been satisfied.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
I would order the Solstice, but hedge your bets. Make sure that if you order a Solstice, you get in writing that your deposit is 100% refundable.

Then you will have your Solstice on order and an estimated timeframe of when you might get it (based on where you fall in your dealership's allocation of Solstices, i.e. first four month allocation, second four months, etc.). With that timeframe in mind, you can look at some of the other vehicle choices out there, while nursing your Prelude along. If something else catches your eye and meets your needs, or you find the Prelude can't last that long, you could then cancel your Solstice order and get your deposit back.

So long as you are considering the Solstice, I would recommend getting at least a deposit down to hold your place in line so to speak, because the longer you wait, the further "back" in line you are likely to be.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts