Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one into HDTV yet?

I started up with it a few years ago with DISH network. Last year came back to my local cable company because they were doing HDTV without extra cost and tons more channels than DISH or DIRECT TV had.

I now have all major networks + PBS + all movie channels.

Football is awesome in HDTV.

I have a rear projection Mitisubishi 46" but wish I had waited a few years to check out one of the flat panel deals.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
667 Posts
Mike; As far as viewing quality goes what is the difference between the old style and one with a flat panel screen? What's the deal with plasma screen? Is the picture improvment worth the big bucks?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As far as flat panel plasma goes I'm not really up on those (yet). I'd just like one for the space savings. The RP TVs take up a lot of space in a room.

In the end they all have high resolution capable of handling the higher res HD signal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
I haven't watched any HDTV yet, but I have a DLP Projector capable of HD Resolutions at a screen size of >100 inches. DVDs and video games look amazing, I'm sure that HDTV would look spectacular on the big screen! I'm just afraid HDTV would make me stuck in my dark room (requirement for most projectors) to never see light again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,570 Posts
No doubt HDTV is better, but until all broadcasts are high def, I'll wait to go out and get a new TV. I have Dish Network, but much of the programing I watch is not high def yet, and without a high def broadcast, the HDTV set is kind of a waste. Yeah, movies would look a little better, but the improvement of DVDs over VHS is so great that I'm still happy enough with that for now. I guess if my TV were to die, I'd get an HDTV set at this point, but my set isn't that old and should last awhile yet. Besides I have to save for my new Solstice!
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
I don’t have any HDTV yet. With few programs being broadcast in HDTV at this point and the high cost of equipment and cable bills to take advantage HDTV, I have remained on the outside of this technology. The price of the HDTV’s should come down as more sell and the technology gets cheaper, maybe I’ll pick up a TV and get the HD cable. But as of now, I just don’t see the advantages as being worth the investment costs. But also realize I am not a big TV watcher, and aside from some sporting events and the occasional on-air movie, I don’t really watch TV anyway to take advantage of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
535 Posts
AeroDave said:
No doubt HDTV is better, but until all broadcasts are high def, I'll wait to go out and get a new TV. I have Dish Network, but much of the programing I watch is not high def yet, and without a high def broadcast, the HDTV set is kind of a waste. Yeah, movies would look a little better, but the improvement of DVDs over VHS is so great that I'm still happy enough with that for now. I guess if my TV were to die, I'd get an HDTV set at this point, but my set isn't that old and should last awhile yet. Besides I have to save for my new Solstice!
Your comments reflect the vast majority of consumers and it the "chicken or the egg" problem for the industry. You don't want to upgrade equipment until there is more content, but the content providers don't want to spend on equipment or give up so much of their bandwidth with no viewers to sell to sponsors. LOL


I have been doing HDTV for awhile now and can add a few comments. It is far better than current NTSC broadcasts and is well worth the investment. There is currently quite a few broadcasters supplying HD content but it varies by region. My cable company carries 24 channels including TMM HD and one preview loop. Most cable companies are simulcasting the HD channels in the clear as part of the basic cable package so there is no extra fees, except you need QAM receiver. Many new HDTV's have built-in QAM receivers or you have to buy / rent a STB (set-top box).

As far as a tv purchase do ALOT of research. Some quick points;

1) CRT based RPT's are the best bang for the buck, but are typically large. Some of the new DLP RPT's are less than a foot deep.

2) Plasma displays have good contrast which appeals to alot of people but the black level detail is poor and dark scenes become invisible and disappointing. Notice how demo loops are always bright flowers and stuff? lol
*also be very careful as most plasma's in the mid to low end are only HD capable! Meaning they do not display the full resolution, they down convert to their own native resolution! This is the biggest dirt secret right now.


I very well versed on this topic so if anyone has specific questions, fire away!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,570 Posts
Plazma screens also have a reletively limited life span comparred to other technologies. As they get older, they get fuzzier, so if you watch alot of TV, I wouldn't recomend them because of thier pretty high cost. Not so easy to do in the CRT.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
535 Posts
AeroDave said:
Plazma screens also have a reletively limited life span comparred to other technologies. As they get older, they get fuzzier, so if you watch alot of TV, I wouldn't recomend them because of thier pretty high cost. Not so easy to do in the CRT.
Aero, would you have a link to support that? I understand Plasma screens to have an effective life of 30K - 50K hours as compared to CRT based RPT's of 2k - 3k hours.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,570 Posts
Darkhamr- I didn't really have a link, it was just my experience with them professionaly. I work with them in the entertainment and event world, and we have had to send some back from rental houses because they are fuzzy or dim. The video techs I work with have always told me that they have a shorted life span than regular CRTs, but maybe this is just the originals, as I have been fooling with them since they first hit the market and no doubt they have made improvements. However I did do a search and found this link. Link I might have been talking out my ass again, but that's what I've been told. Maybe you're right, maybe they're much better now. :cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
mceb,

I been into the HDTV stuff for about three years now. I've got a 57" Hitachi Ultravision in the living room and 34" Panny in the bedroom both getting Direct TV through a pair of Samsung HDTV receivers. My Hitachi looked pretty good right out of the box but after a little tweaking with the DVE(Digital Video Essentials) disk it looked much better. Last year I had it calibrated and that brought out the best picture I've ever seen out the TV. I highly recommend it if you what the best out of your TV. Also XBOX games look amazing on it. I can't wait to play Halo 2 on it.

Fred
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
Could it be that the plasma screen TV’s have a longer lifespan overall, but the actual lifespan where you get an improved picture over a CRT is shorter than the CRT’s lifespan? Also, could they be getting fuzzy from some kind of image burn-in or something? I don’t know a ton about Plasmas, except that they cost a fortune, but I have heard a lot of complaints about them too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
535 Posts
AeroDave said:
Darkhamr- I didn't really have a link, it was just my experience with them professionaly. I work with them in the entertainment and event world, and we have had to send some back from rental houses because they are fuzzy or dim. The video techs I work with have always told me that they have a shorted life span than regular CRTs, but maybe this is just the originals, as I have been fooling with them since they first hit the market and no doubt they have made improvements. However I did do a search and found this link. Link I might have been talking out my ass again, but that's what I've been told. Maybe you're right, maybe they're much better now. :cheers
Yeah, I'm not sure about the fuzzy part, though I have always found them grainy, but they shouldn't be dim, though that could be due to defective circuitry more so than the screen having issues. The half life mentioned in that article is what I would expect. I have had good luck with CRT based RPT and have well exceeded their typical life span, but that is due in part to proper calibration as fred mentioned. At the very least pick up a copy of Video Essentials, but if you are spending several g's invest in a professional ISF calibration. You won't regret it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
fred96ws6 said:
mceb,

I been into the HDTV stuff for about three years now. I've got a 57" Hitachi Ultravision in the living room and 34" Panny in the bedroom both getting Direct TV through a pair of Samsung HDTV receivers. My Hitachi looked pretty good right out of the box but after a little tweaking with the DVE(Digital Video Essentials) disk it looked much better. Last year I had it calibrated and that brought out the best picture I've ever seen out the TV. I highly recommend it if you what the best out of your TV. Also XBOX games look amazing on it. I can't wait to play Halo 2 on it.

Fred
Thanks, I've been meaning to get my set calibrated for years now. I've heard it is awesome.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,266 Posts
You don't have to spend a lot of money to get into it.

I bought a 47" panny rear-projection a year and a half ago at Fry's when they were closing out the model for 900 bucks. I bought a Samsung HDTV settop box for 300 bucks at Walmart. I put a $ 30 antenna in the attic, and I now watch all nfl games, Jay Leno, some Nascar races, Enterprise, MLB playoff games, NOVA, NBA playoffs, and many prime time dramas in HD.

Now that Fox has finally gotten off their duff, I'm really looking forward to the next season of 24.

I bought a progressive scan Home Theatre in a Box system for another 300 bucks, and now my widescreen DVD's rock too. No one can believe how good my system is for a measly 1500 bucks.

The only drawback is everyone is always coming over to your house to watch THEIR shows on YOUR tv.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes I've noticed how much the sets are dropping. Cable is kicking butt on HD so it's free with their digital TV packages. All I had to do is call for a free HD box (satellite charged several hundred for box). Also if you live close enough to a city you can pull it off the air with an outside attenna.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top