Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am flumixed. The right hand turn signal on Punisher is fast flashing. The left is not. They are set up identically Same lights same load resistance
I have had the rear LED swirl lights for years. They worked fine with 6 ohm load resisters in parallel sith the turn signal leads. I put led bulbs on the front turns and added resisters. That worked fine. Then one failed so I went to brighter leds with built in resistance do I disconnected the front load resisters. Now one side is fine the other is fast flash. I swapped the front leds, same result. Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
7,544 Posts
The built-in resistors are marginally large enough, and the resistance is slightly less than adequate.

I believe I remember that the fronts and rears are checked together by the BCM and that the resistors, if needed, can all be put on the front or the rear. If switching the fronts didn't make a difference the "problem" is in the rears.

Can you switch the rears side-to side?

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
Is it fast flashing when the engine is running? Or just when engine off? This is another indication that the load resistance is too high: when the charging circuit is not engaged, the battery voltage is too low to 'push' the current required by the BCM failure detect circuit.

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
Maybe a resistor failed.

·
Super Moderator
16,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tested it in parallel and series. No difference.
Swapped the entire front and rear light assemblies to the left side, worked normally.

I am into tracing the right side wiring to see if there is an issue

·
Super Moderator
16,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Woke up last night at 4am thinking the only thing I changed was the right rear light socket. The wires became brittle and broke. I’m now in pursuit of tools to remove the pins so I can repair the socket

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
Probably a Molex pin tool.

·
Super Moderator
16,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I found the problem. A solder joint I did three years ago and that has functioned for that time came apart so the continuity to the load resister went open circuit. I found it when I disassembled the entire socket and cabling. Finally.

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
I used to solder all my connections until my brother-in-law who does aircraft maintenance told me in his industry, crimping is preferred. Solder joints become brittle and fail due to vibration, crimp connections do not.

Reactions: JohnWR

·
Super Moderator
7,544 Posts
I used to solder all my connections until my brother-in-law who does aircraft maintenance told me in his industry, crimping is preferred. Solder joints become brittle and fail due to vibration, crimp connections do not.
Agreed. The last time we did mil-spec work, soldering was strictly prohibited. The key is to use the right terminals and crimpers, and most of what is available to consumers is not adequate.

·
Registered
2007 Sky Redline
24 Posts
The marine business is the same - crimp not solder.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts