Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The latch handle for my top was rattling yesterday because it wasn't fully tightened during assembly, or worked it's way loose. If anyone else encounters this, it's a simple fix. I popped the plastic cap out of the center by carefully prying it up (down) with a jewler's screwdriver. The handle is held on with a 13mm locknut. I just snugged it up a bit and all is well now. If it works its way loose again, I'll put a bit of locktite on the threads (which probably should be there from the factory anyway).

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
dori-san said:
Um, actually... this isn't a Japanese car, so that would be a ½" nut there buddy. I know because that's the socket I used to tighten mine on Sunday. Probably 24 hours later it had worked itself loose again, so it's going back to the dealership.
Um, actually :jester:

A 1/2" socket will work, too, but it will be a little sloppy. 14mm and 9/16" are REALLY close, by the way. If you have to really torque a 13mm nut with a 1/2" socket, you will round the corners if it isn't hardened. GM (and the other US manufacturers) started converting to metric fasteners in the early-mid 80's. The lug nuts are still standard threads (and use standard sockets), but pretty much every other fastener in a car (even American cars) is metric these days.

Working on an 80's era GM car is a pain in the rear, because you have to have two sets of tools to do it! :yesnod: :brentil:

...buddy :D

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for that.

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
i think a lot of the screws on the car are metric... I had the issue when i was installing the mirror. Inch size didn't fit just right but metric did.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Almost all fasteners are metric

Pretty much all the bolts that hold something on the car are metric. Don't know exactly why - my guess is cheaper to purchase - and a lot of metric fasteners and SAE holes are very close. :cool:

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
They actually started the switch over in the late 70's when it looked like the US might go metric.

·
Registered
990 Posts
What a waste.
Go back, America!

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
The metric system is better than the stupid inches system we use anyways. Base ten is so nice and simple. I curse the man who invented inches!!! :D

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
brentil said:
The metric system is better than the stupid inches system we use anyways. Base ten is so nice and simple. I curse the man who invented inches!!! :D
So does my wife. :lol:

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
brentil said:
I agree with measurement being best in metric...

...but as for temperature, Farenheit is superior to Celcius.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Fortimir said:
I agree with measurement being best in metric...

...but as for temperature, Farenheit is superior to Celcius.
Just read the centigrade to the nearest half degree. Then it's pretty much as good as Farenheit, and you KNOW that 100 degrees is enough to cook pasta... :lol:

Zero is freezing, -20 is BRRR-F'n COLD, and -40 is the same in either scale. Why is Celsius better?

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
SolsticeMan said:
Zero is freezing, -20 is BRRR-F'n COLD, and -40 is the same in either scale. Why is Celsius better?
It's not.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Kelvin all the way. :thumbs: :lol:

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
2KWK4U said:
Um, actually :jester:

A 1/2" socket will work, too, but it will be a little sloppy. 14mm and 9/16" are REALLY close, by the way. If you have to really torque a 13mm nut with a 1/2" socket, you will round the corners if it isn't hardened. GM (and the other US manufacturers) started converting to metric fasteners in the early-mid 80's. The lug nuts are still standard threads (and use standard sockets), but pretty much every other fastener in a car (even American cars) is metric these days.

Working on an 80's era GM car is a pain in the rear, because you have to have two sets of tools to do it! :yesnod: :brentil:

...buddy :D
I sit corrected. Perhaps I'll attempt another retightening with a 13mm socket then. Again, this is my first time being into an American car, naturally I assumed that it still used the American measurement system. So if everyone uses metric these days, WTF did my 151 piece tool set come with those for? It could have just been an 80 piece and left all those useless sockets out!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts