Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed HID lights in my '08 GXP and would like to know how to adj. them. I seem to be bothering oncoming drivers on both high and low beam and the manual says to take my car to the dealer for this. I would like to attempt it myself, first, if I can. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks....

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
OK, first, I assume you simply put 'retrofit' HID bulbs in the existing reflectors? This is generally a big issue, since the ends of the HID arc bulb lie outside of the focus point of the standard reflector, which is designed for a (differently-shaped) incandescent bulb. This means that the light is being distributed in a much wider/taller pattern which is what is causing you to blind oncoming drivers.

Having said that, the headlights are adjustable for beam height. If you open your hood and look at the outsides of the headlamp unit (i.e. the left hand side of the driver light and right hand side of the passenger one), you'll see a black Phillips-head 'screw' with a kind of gear surrounding it, facing the windshield. That's the adjuster. Turning this screw clockwise will lower the beam (I think :)), counter-clockwise to raise it. Unfortunately you'll have to give it a turn or two, then close the hood to see how much you've adjusted, and raise the hood and do it again, until you get it right. I suggest you do this with your car directly facing a wall or your garage door, about 10 feet away. Correctly adjusted, the top of your low beam light should be level with the height of the midpoint of you headlamp (you can measure this and put tape or something on the wall/door at the right height).

You may find that there may not be much you can do about this problem given the mismatch of the HID bulb to reflector. If you have the beam low enough not to blind oncomers (and if you can set it that low) you may find that the beams are pointing too much toward the ground to be useful.

Try it and see - let us know (pics are good :))

This is my car with HIDs and HID-specific projector housings, while I was leveling them...

EDIT: Dang Rob, beat me while I was typing!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts