Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Headlight assembly bolt size

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  joybill44 
#1 ·
I recently did the Easy Off headlight mod (removed the plastic chrome, leaving the black finish), sanded/polished/cleared the headlight covers and they turned out fantastic. Not perfect, but close. Beats the heck out of paying over $700 for a new pair with black housings.

Went to install them today and I can't find the headlight assembly bolts. Any of them. Anyone know the length and pitch? And do they have an integrated washer? I found what may be the correct factory bolt, but there is no size listed, and the price is $12 each on Amazon. So it would be about $100 for all (there are 8 of them). I'd rather just get them installed with the correct size bolt, even if it's not the factory bolt, and look for the lost ones later (or pull a set from the salvage yard).

#2 ·
The OEM bolts do have captured washers but they are not required. I did the easy off on my headlights last year and if I remember right they are an M8 course thread. I don't remember the length but 25mm would work. Go to an Ace hardware which generally has a good selection of hardware and get stainless. I lost 1 when I did mine and that's what I did. Maybe check the thread size with a bolt before you buy a bunch.

#5 ·
Clips and fasteners at www.clipsandfasteners.com Same bolt is used in both fenders to door frame and various other places on the body. You find this out when you take one of these cars apart.

I believe the SEMS bolts are also called "dog nose".

There are 15 in a package and you will eventually use every one so no need to cheap out.

Description

• Hex Head Sems® Body Bolt
  • Black Zinc
  • M6-1.0 x 20mm
  • Washer Diameter: 24mm
  • Hex: 10mm
  • Class 9.8
  • Front Bumper Support, Fender Liner, Grille &
    Headlamp Adjusting
  • Replaces GM: 11589031 Cadillac Escalade, Chevrolet Camaro, Silverado, GMC Sierra and Pontiac Solstice 2006 –
  • 15 Per Package

M6-1.0 x 20mm Hex Head Sems Body Bolts GM 11589031

0Reviews​
Package Price: $15.82

Availability: Usually Ships in 1 to 2 Business Days
PRODUCT CODE: A22536

Richard Snipes

#6 ·
Clips and fasteners at www.clipsandfasteners.com Same bolt is used in both fenders to door frame and various other places on the body. You find this out when you take one of these cars apart.

View attachment 107258 I believe the SEMS bolts are also called "dog nose".

There are 15 in a package and you will eventually use every one so no need to cheap out.

Description

• Hex Head Sems® Body Bolt
  • Black Zinc
  • M6-1.0 x 20mm
  • Washer Diameter: 24mm
  • Hex: 10mm
  • Class 9.8
  • Front Bumper Support, Fender Liner, Grille &
    Headlamp Adjusting
  • Replaces GM: 11589031 Cadillac Escalade, Chevrolet Camaro, Silverado, GMC Sierra and Pontiac Solstice 2006 –
  • 15 Per Package

M6-1.0 x 20mm Hex Head Sems Body Bolts GM 11589031

0Reviews​
Package Price: $15.82

Availability: Usually Ships in 1 to 2 Business Days
PRODUCT CODE: A22536

Richard Snipes
Wow, great find, thanks. I bookmarked the site for my next mishap.

As it turns out, I found all 8 missing bolts (in a socket tray in my tool chest). I'm only 48 but sometimes it seems I have the mind of an 84 year old lol. Thanks everyone.

#10 ·
When they heard they could easily be replaced they sent out the special "I'm here!" vibes. Now if that would only work with my glasses I misplaced a week ago! And I am right there with Bill in the kitchen, even with the empty coffee cup in my hand. :unsure:

Richard Snipes
That is so true about the vibes. Thats why I keep spare parts for my car in the garage. As long as I have a spare, the original will never break.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.