Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noob at this guys. Any help would be appreciated.

I read what is on the forum and wondering if there are recommendation for a headlight that is a good value...people seem to like the SilverStar Ultras but it seems they have short life bc they burn bright. I need something for city driving that will last a decent while.

thanks in advance

PS
I have a 08 GXP

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've personally found the Silverstar line of products (regular, ultra) to be extremely disappointing. Although the light output is excellent, you are correct in what you've seen of other reviews. For the money, they simply don't last. IMO, for money and time they've been around, Sylvania should've figured out what the issue is with their short lifespan and remedied the situation by now.

That said, since ditching Silverstars, I've gone over to PIAA for both of my cars. On my Honda I have the Intense White product line and in my Sky I have the Xtreme White. Between the two, I definitely prefer the Xtreme White, but I have to admit that quality wise, both are excellent and have held up very well.

I bought the ones for my Honda (my daily driver) in 2010 and they're still going strong. I bought the ones for my Sky in September 2012 and they're great, as well. Pricier than Sylvania's, for sure, but worth the investment for me. I'd rather have long-lasting, quality bulbs versus bulbs that I have replace every year or so.

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
I have Sylvania ZXe and I love them. Very bright. As far as life span goes, when you install them, use latex gloves on your hands. If you touch ANY light bulb in your car with your bare hands, it reduces the life significantly (60-80%). I've had my ZXe's all summer with no issue. Also keep in mind that our cars have daytime running lights (DRL). It runs the bulb during the day at a reduced power. Many bulbs out there are not designed to run at a lower power and thus shorten their lifespan as well. Many bulbs are designed to burn at 50-55watts/12volts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Black Out and Ghost thanks for the response. Black Out I am guessing you are talking about these bulbs

Amazon.com: PIAA 19618 Xtreme White Plus Bulb, Twin Packs: Automotive

Black Out the reviews on amazon suggest that the PIAA also seem to have a questionable life span. This makes me think a lot of the life span issues (with both bulbs) is related to installation. Who knows maybe they even screw up the handling during manufacturing.

and Ghost

Amazon.com: Sylvania H13 SZ SilverStar zXe High Performance Halogen Headlight Bulb (Low/High Beam), (Pack of 2): Automotive

PIAA is $62 and ZXE $38.

What are thoughts on just Sylvania XtraVision or Standard. According to the their website the lifespan of both the XtraVision and Standard are longer than ZXE. Like I said I need something functional for city driving where there are plenty of street lights.

specs
https://www.sylvania.com/en-us/appl...ems/Pages/lrgproductspecs.aspx?partnumber=H13

The XtraVisions are $20

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Just get the regular bulbs from one of the name brands. They may be a bit dimmer and more 'yellow' than Ultrastars etc., but they do have the best longevity. Remember, if one of your bulbs has gone, the other is not far behind and/or will certainly be dimmer than when new, so replace BOTH bulbs at once.

I've personally found the Silverstar line of products (regular, ultra) to be extremely disappointing. Although the light output is excellent, you are correct in what you've seen of other reviews. For the money, they simply don't last. IMO, for money and time they've been around, Sylvania should've figured out what the issue is with their short lifespan and remedied the situation by now.
The way they get the brighter light is to burn the filaments hotter. This in turn reduces the bulb life. Simple physics. Sylvania makes no bones about this and advertizes the shorter life on the packages/web site (see the "life" row below):

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
stick with BRAND names. I have silverlites on one car and the ZXE on the other. Yes, they were $60 but I get a nice bright daylight white light. I have also driven at night and have never been flashed because they were too bright. and when you do click on your high's, your car looks like a train coming down the road.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.