Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked the manual and the Solstice uses an H13 bulb, which as far as I can tell, is new for the Solstice. At least thats what I assume because when I search for availability in Xenon Plasma the highest I have found is H12. If someone is aware of any Xenon H13s please post. :)

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
PAS22 said:
I checked the manual and the Solstice uses an H13 bulb, which as far as I can tell, is new for the Solstice. At least thats what I assume because when I search for availability in Xenon Plasma the highest I have found is H12. If someone is aware of any Xenon H13s please post. :)
Doesn't Xenon/HID require an entirely different "ignition" system (25,000v instead of 12v)?

·
Registered
417 Posts
on a somewhat same idea i wonder if you can change the stock tail light bulbs to halogen to get mor brightness?????

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Your right the solstice is using the new H13 bulb, As far as I can tell there are no after market Bulbs being made for it. I would expect that after SEMA show we will see a huge influx of aftermarket parts offered for the Solstice.

·
Registered
350 Posts
By the nature of how HID work. It is illegal, because they are so bright and you must have the proper lenses to focus the light. It is complicated, because to get the bright light they use a high frequency AC signal, where halogen uses DC.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Xenon plasma bulbs are not HIDs. They are merely replacement bulbs, but produce a white light instead of the yellow light of stock bulbs. During the day when not on they have a blue tint. HID look without the HID price, illegallity and installation issues. Candle power is within legal limits. I use them in my truck. They are available at WalMart, Stylin Concepts, to drop a few names. Prices very depending upon model, but for the truck they run about $30 to $60 a pair.

·
Registered
729 Posts
PAS22 said:
Xenon plasma bulbs are not HIDs. They are merely replacement bulbs, but produce a white light instead of the yellow light of stock bulbs. During the day when not on they have a blue tint. HID look without the HID price, illegallity and installation issues. Candle power is within legal limits. I use them in my truck. They are available at WalMart, Stylin Concepts, to drop a few names. Prices very depending upon model, but for the truck they run about $30 to $60 a pair.
Good information!!

I'll be on the lookout for some of these "plasma bulbs".

- bspate -

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
PAS22 said:
How are these different from DayStars?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fortimir said:
How are these different from DayStars?

Brand name. Becareful when purchasing, if they don't say plasma their not.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Well this new bulb is odd. I guess it was pointless for me to remove my H4's from my other car because they're not going to go in here like I was hoping. Anywho, when they come out with H13 Silverstars, I'll be getting those. That's what my H4's were and I loved 'em!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Avoid plasma blue bulbs

Silverstars are the best street legal "HID look" bulb but if what you want is a brighter light, stay away from the blue tint bulbs. The blue tint takes away about 20% of the lumens. That is why Osram Silverstars in Europe which don't have the blue tint are plus 50% but the Sylvania Silverstars with the blue tint here in the states are only 30% brighter than a standard bulb. They are essentially otherwise identical. As far as I know there is no high performance plus 50% type bulb yet for the H13 type only H7, H1, H4. Also Philips Vision plus bulbs are great. By the way, the H13 type bulb is inherently supposed to be a brighter bulb than standard halogens.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts