Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to put LED's headlights in my GXP. Are there any bulbs that will fit directly into the existing light housing?

Thank you, my GXP friends.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
The only thing that will not blind oncoming traffic in the OE housing is Halogen. They were not made for LEDs or HIDs. You can mod the housing to projector style, then install LEDs or HIDs, but otherwise you will blind oncoming traffic, contrary to what others, or other forums (Facebook) will tell you. That being said, there are bulbs that will fit.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, so, are there any other kinds of bulbs that will give me a little be lighting than the one that came with the car?

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
There's a few things that you could do... the Sylvania ZXE or Silverstars are very bright, and they're halogen. The other thing you could that has been done is put HIDs or LEDs in your fog lights and turn them on and off, but that's really no different then using your highbeams. You could mod your headlight housing and make them projectors. There's a thread here somewhere for that.... Or you could just go ahead and not care and put LEDs in your car anyway. Whatever you decide to do, remember that the headlight wiring can only handle 55 (or was it 65 watts??) watts before bad things start to happen

There was an LED headlight that had an adjustment on it where you could put it in a halogen headlight housing and it was supposed to not blind oncoming traffic. But I don't remember the manufacturer. If you want to see if an aftermarket headlight (HID, LED) is street legal (almost all aren't), look for the "street legal" logo on their website/product page. I'll be honest, I've yet to find one. What the "street legal" or NTSB compliant logo means is that it's been tested and is deemed to not blind on-coming traffic in a halogen bulb housing. Many states have made it illegal to run HIDs or LEDs in a halogen housing. Hawaii is the strictest and will fine you $500+ if you do this...and they don't need reason to pull you over to do it. Most states won't bother you, unless it's really excessive or they pull you over for something else. But that still doesn't make it right. I gave up trying to get that through to anyone on other forums. Here's a discussion on HIDs back in the day when I was brand new to the forum and ownership: HID questions

·
Super Moderator
7,636 Posts
Thank you, so, are there any other kinds of bulbs that will give me a little be lighting than the one that came with the car?
If your bulbs are original, simply putting new ones in will make a difference.

The Silverstars are the same wattage as stock, but the color temperature is 4200K instead of 3200K, so they look brighter, and illuminate better.

FYI: The standard bulbs are 55W/65W

·
Registered
3,524 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
I bought a handful of different LED sets on Amazon to try and compare a few months back. I was obsessed about it trying to find better lights, as there's always crap in the streets in LA almost as big as our cars.

I settled on these, which surprised me, as I didn't want a unit "with a fan." But they were way better in brightness and color than the others. I tried the non-fan version of the Beamtech's first, and the difference of the fan model was too big an improvement to pass up.

https://www.amazon.com/BEAMTECH-Headlight-Extremely-Heatsink-Conversion/dp/B073ZDLKT9/ref=sxts_sxwds-bia-wc-drs2_0?cv_ct_cx=h13+led+headlights&dchild=1&keywords=h13+led+headlights&pd_rd_i=B073ZDLKT9&pd_rd_r=f23f51ce-1a76-4bc4-a421-ff80a90ebe4e&pd_rd_w=1q6iK&pd_rd_wg=zPIff&pf_rd_p=ecbfa24d-f48c-4d5c-83aa-9549f4e7c925&pf_rd_r=AECQW3Q3ASHZZ1ZCJHYM&psc=1&qid=1602799551&sr=1-2-f6b8d51f-2c55-4dc3-89ad-0c3639671b2d

I tried:
  • Beamtech H13 with fan (kept these)
  • Beamtech H13 fanless (returned)
  • Fahren 9008/H13 (wanted to like these, but didn't)
  • Lightening Dark (supposedly the brightest of the bunch, but the Beamtech's smoked them)
I noticed on Amazon today that Beamtech made a new version with the fans... Will probably try them.

If there was a way to convert them to projectors/install HID's without breaking the bank, I'd probably do it.

Can't comment on the Sylvania ZXE's, but I see a lot of comments on liking them in the sol.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Do LEDs put out as much light as regular halogen/xenon bulbs? I've been thinking about the silverstar ultras or xZe Golds before I get the HID kit from RPM. Any experience with these?

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
They're definitely brighter than halogen, two maybe three times depending on the brand. I wouldn't bother with hid kits, they're not made for reflector housings, you'll be blinding everyone in front of you.
Led bulbs on the other hand have some adjustability if you get the pricey ones.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Do LEDs put out as much light as regular halogen/xenon bulbs? I've been thinking about the silverstar ultras or xZe Golds before I get the HID kit from RPM. Any experience with these?
LED's are definitely brighter - just make sure to buy a set with the 360 adjustment so you can orient them properly in the housing. I'd grab a few pair on Amazon and see which one you like the most, and return the ones you don't.

You might be totally content with the fanless design and not need the extra brightness of some of the fan-models. I needed the extra lumens of brightness the fan models provided.

I came across this video when I was first looking at LED brands - will give you an idea of what you'll need to do ( he uses the fanless Beamtechs):

·
Registered
359 Posts
Retro fit the proper lenses with low beam shades into the stock assemblies. It is wicked easy to do. The solstice headlights come apart with a hair dryer and a butter knife. They have made mounting a lens onto the stock reflector a breeze to do.

The largest issue you are going to have using LEDs is heat. While most LED bulbs for the headlight will have fans on them they are typically crappy fans. You may consider using HID instead of LED. If you do use LED look into replacing the fans with Noctua fans. These fans have SSO bearing, suspended oil bearing. Less noise more airflow and far less friction. I have a few of their fans that have been in use 24/7/365 for 12 years with maybe an hour of off time a year for cleaning.

I believe the size they use on the LED headlights is 40mm x 40mm.

One other thing you should consider is a 12 power supply. While the LEDS will have a power supply with them they are not going to be of the same quality as buying a dedicated Power supply.. A dedicated supply will take In 6-18 volts and always output 12 volts. Use this in conjunction with the ones that come with the LEDs.

Most LED manufacturers for vehicles in the aftermarket world don't produce fantastic power supplies. If they did they wouldn't have you back for however many hours an LED lasts for.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Well I don't want to introduce more heat. I just got brand new headlight housings and I want them to last. I'm going to have wrapped in clear uv film for extra protection. I'm either going to go with the xZe sylvania bulbs (wow $70) or the HID kit from RPM. It's an AC unit as opposed to DC so Maybe I won't have an issue with the DRL's flickering.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts