Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to make more mods to my headlights for a 2009 Pontiac Solstice, I was about to order the HID bulbs yesterday but I did some research and found out I will just blind other drivers, and not to mention illegal, and I don't need any more tickets.... :cuss:

So my question is..... What kind of mood have you done to your headlights that gives u better vvisibility, and looks whiter?

Thanks, Randy

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
TomatoSoup has done projectors. I've been doing research on which halogens bulbs look closest to HIDs, and I've come up with Hoen (although I haven't found any specs on them yet, so I don't know if they are higher then 55w) if your looking for the color. I was looking for the color and the better projection as I drive about 80% of the time in the dark. Everyone here recommended the Sylvania ZXe's, but they don't make a fog light and I'm OCD when it comes to matching colors... :willy: Hoen's are EXTEMELY hard to find though. I have yet to find an H13 instock anywhere. My second choice was Nokya, but I've only seen video and haven't seen any in person. There aren't many manufacturers that make both the h13 and the 898 bulb. I had a big discussion about HIDs here: http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/hid-kit-one-perfect-74127/

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I've had H.I.D's for the last 4yrs, I just recently got my headlight housing painted flat black and I love how they actully give my H.I.D's some what of a cut off line of light. No problems here from other drives about my H.I.D's, and I've driven behind cops.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thx Ghost

Thx ghost, the reason I want to upgrade my headlights is because I am OCD like yourself. Lol I put the switchback leds in my front turn signals, and ordered leds for my fog lights so they match but now I have super white look besides my headlights... What would you recommend for my headlights to match your led turn signals and fog lights? Projectors/has? If so which is the best to buy that will last? Do they make led bulbs for headlights? Are the any good? Sorry I just got my Solstice a few months back and just now finding out what all is out there for mods :)

thx again, Randy

TomatoSoup has done projectors. I've been doing research on which halogens bulbs look closest to HIDs, and I've come up with Hoen (although I haven't found any specs on them yet, so I don't know if they are higher then 55w) if your looking for the color. I was looking for the color and the better projection as I drive about 80% of the time in the dark. Everyone here recommended the Sylvania ZXe's, but they don't make a fog light and I'm OCD when it comes to matching colors... :willy: Hoen's are EXTEMELY hard to find though. I have yet to find an H13 instock anywhere. My second choice was Nokya, but I've only seen video and haven't seen any in person. There aren't many manufacturers that make both the h13 and the 898 bulb. I had a big discussion about HIDs here: http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/hid-kit-one-perfect-74127/

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice!

These are cool looking but to install these would you have to take the headlight housing out of car and use a heat gun on housing to get it apart? I would d like to find projection headlights with smaller halo somewhere for my 2009 Pontiac Solstice.... And hope the projections are a brighter white to match my leds turn signals /fog lights

Don't do the HIDs...they WILL blind oncoming traffic! Here's something I thought about:

Pontiac Solstice 2006-2009 ORACLE Headlight Halo Kit- CCFL or LED Halos from AAC

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thx

Thanks for the reply Solstice-D

But I don't think I want to take a chance with the HIDs I don't like when other drivers are blinding me with their headlights.... If I could buy another headlight housing I would definitely go with HIDs... But I would rather not risk putting other people's lives at risk or getting pulled over.

I've had H.I.D's for the last 4yrs, I just recently got my headlight housing painted flat black and I love how they actully give my H.I.D's some what of a cut off line of light. No problems here from other drives about my H.I.D's, and I've driven behind cops.

·
Registered
7,149 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank again Tomato Soup you have been very helpful since I started on this group :)

The Sylvania silver start looks nice from what I just looked at on YouTube....do you know much about the led lights?

http://www.carid.com/2009-pontiac-solstice-led-lights/lumen-led-lights-3126099.html
Are as bright as the silver stars? Or do you still recommend the Sylvania over silver star? I'm looking to match my led turn signals and also more light on the road...

Thanks again for your help
You can get "superwhite" (actually, blue-tinted) conventional bulbs. The blue tint makes them appear much more like cool-white LEDs. For example: Sylvania H11 ST SilverStar High Performance Halogen Headlight Bulb, (Pack of 2) : Amazon.com : Automotive

Warning, do NOT get the cheap similar ones off eBay (or elsewhere) unless you like regularly replacing burnt-out bulbs!

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
I put the silverstars on the elantra when one whent out and it made a huge difference. Nice and bright but not too bright to cause trouble. I was considing the Oracle halo's for mine but didn't see where I had to disassemble the housing. Not sure I want to risk f'ing them up and having to buy 2 so they will match. I may just ho with HID but I rarely drive at night. I just like the look.

·
Registered
7,149 Posts
I'll go out on a limb and say there are no 'replacement' LED lights that are anywhere near as bright as regular bulbs, in any application, but particularly for headlamps. Just don't bother.

I've been on a LED quest for years and, within a couple of weeks, will have replaced every exterior (and most interior) bulb in my car with LEDs. But to get the requisite intensities, I've have to go custom throughout. (Again, this excludes the headlights, where I went with HID projectors.)

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
For the halos you will have to pull apart the lens. For projectors you will have to pull apart the lens and cut it.

There is a company that started making LED headlight bulbs. If memory serves me correctly they only made like 4 sizes, but were expanding to more. I will look for them tonight and post it here.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay I believe you just convinced me to buy the sylvania since they don't make a led as bright as a headlight bulb,,thx!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hey Ghost no need to go through all the trouble and looking for the pages with led headlight bulbs if they are not as bright as regular bulbs,but thx anyway..I see you have a light up wind restricter..... did you happen to buy it from here?

WindRestrictor® Custom Windscreen, Laser Etched Illuminated Windscreens, High Quality Wind Deflectors

are you happy with it and light up door seals? I was thinking about getting a custom graphic and hooking it up to my third brake light but was hesitant because of the cost and not sure how well it looks in person.....

Where is the best place to get halos?I have read some on this group that some halos are better then others....

For the halos you will have to pull apart the lens. For projectors you will have to pull apart the lens and cut it.

There is a company that started making LED headlight bulbs. If memory serves me correctly they only made like 4 sizes, but were expanding to more. I will look for them tonight and post it here.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You must of read my mind because I jumped back on here to ask you where you bought your HID at :) what HIDs did you order for your car? I see they have all kinds on that site..

is it true that GM Roadsters has HIDs that are plug and play? are these projectors too?

http://www.gmroadster.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_new.tpl&product_id=3&category_id=6&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=68&vmcchk=1&Itemid=68

If I do decide to go with HIDs they should be behind projectors (so I dont blind other drivers) ,correct?

I got my HID stuff from theretrofitsource.com and was very pleased with their stuff and their customer service. They have LED Halo's that Cartmann (of Trax) reported to be very bright and good (I don't have them though, so cannot personally confirm).

Morimoto xbALed Angel Eyes - Accessories from The Retrofit Source Inc

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hey TX06manual

Thx for letting me know about the silverstars.......I seen a video on youTube on retro fitting projectors is why I asked if the headlight housing needs to be opened.It doesnt look hard at all as long as you/me take time when cutting......I hope ;)....and if I decide to buy projectors.

I put the silverstars on the elantra when one whent out and it made a huge difference. Nice and bright but not too bright to cause trouble. I was considing the Oracle halo's for mine but didn't see where I had to disassemble the housing. Not sure I want to risk f'ing them up and having to buy 2 so they will match. I may just ho with HID but I rarely drive at night. I just like the look.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
GMROADSTER's stuff is HID, not projector, and I guess it's the only one out there that will give you both low and hi beams in an HID. They are a little "tamer" then others or so I've been told. As far as the LED bulbs, the website I found were as bright as regular bulbs. If I remember correctly they were for BMW, Mercedes, the G8, Corvette and several other models.....with more coming very quickly. That was 3 months ago when I started the fire storm here about HIDs....LOL....

EDIT: Just read your post on gmroadster's HIDs. If you buy projectors, generally all parts you need will be there. There is no need to buy HIDs separately (that I'm aware of...someone correct me if I'm wrong). As far as plug'n'play....sure...to an extent. You will still have to run the power wires and solder them. No HID will be all plug'n'play because of the power they require. You would destroy your wiring harness in your car if it was total plug'n'play because HIDs draw a TON of current even though most are only 35 watts.

Are you proud of me TomatoSoup for my comments???!! LOL....

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
hey Ghost no need to go through all the trouble and looking for the pages with led headlight bulbs if they are not as bright as regular bulbs,but thx anyway..I see you have a light up wind restricter..... did you happen to buy it from here?

WindRestrictor® Custom Windscreen, Laser Etched Illuminated Windscreens, High Quality Wind Deflectors

are you happy with it and light up door seals? I was thinking about getting a custom graphic and hooking it up to my third brake light but was hesitant because of the cost and not sure how well it looks in person.....

Where is the best place to get halos?I have read some on this group that some halos are better then others....
Yes....that is the place for the Windrestrictor and the lighted sills

Halos I've only found in one place..... Pontiac Solstice 2006-2009 ORACLE Headlight Halo Kit- CCFL or LED Halos from AAC

Cheapest price I've found for them.... http://www.nfcperformance.com/pontiac-solstice-2007-2008-oracle-ccfl-halo-kit

I am EXTREMLY happy with my WR and my lighted sills. The instructions needed a little re-working, but Ken was very helpful! Their customer service goes way beyond what cs usually is about.... The only thing I'm going to do with my lighted door sills is pull them back off and run black butyl along the top so the light doesn't bleed through because my factory sills were so warped. Otherwise, they make a very good quality product.....I can't say enough about Windrestrictor or the lighted sill! I would highly recommend them!

·
Registered
7,149 Posts
GMROADSTER's stuff is HID, not projector, and I guess it's the only one out there that will give you both low and hi beams in an HID. They are a little "tamer" then others or so I've been told. As far as the LED bulbs, the website I found were as bright as regular bulbs. If I remember correctly they were for BMW, Mercedes, the G8, Corvette and several other models.....with more coming very quickly. That was 3 months ago when I started the fire storm here about HIDs....LOL....

EDIT: Just read your post on gmroadster's HIDs. If you buy projectors, generally all parts you need will be there. There is no need to buy HIDs separately (that I'm aware of...someone correct me if I'm wrong). As far as plug'n'play....sure...to an extent. You will still have to run the power wires and solder them. No HID will be all plug'n'play because of the power they require. You would destroy your wiring harness in your car if it was total plug'n'play because HIDs draw a TON of current even though most are only 35 watts.

Are you proud of me TomatoSoup for my comments???!! LOL....
You are becoming one with the HID universe, grasshopper. (Wax on, wax off.)

Though (sorry) a couple of small corrections :D ...

It depends where and how you buy your projectors as to whether everything is included. At theretrofitsource, for example, you can buy projectors and/or HID bulbs and/or ballasts (etc) separately, or as a full pick and choose kit.

You are largely correct that no HID will be plug and play (certainly projector ones), but not because it will destroy your wiring. The 35W HIDs do only draw a constant 35W in use. Problem is they need a surge of power at turn-on which OEM wiring may have too much resistance to supply, so you can end up with flickering as the HIDs aren't able to fire properly.

As for the LED headlight bulbs being as bright, I won't believe it until I see it! There's a HUGE amount of 'marketing' (i.e. lying) that goes on with automotive LEDs. I have found from personal experience that the wattage ratings you see on packages are, let's say, 'exaggerated'. Those high power 7w or 10w LED bulbs are in reality half that (or less) in reality. When they say on the package 'brighter than OEM!' they really mean 'brighter than OEM when the OEM is off'!

Finally, headlight LEDs are impossible (due to physics) to match to the source point of an incandescent bulb. Even more so than HID bulbs. So a LED bulb can never match the focus point of a standard reflector - resulting in poor focus, glare, and lesser projected light.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts