Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read what seems like a million posts on the subject of changing the chrome surrounding the headlights -- to black, or to whatever color matches the car's paint.

I also know that some members get upset when the same subject that's been covered many times is brought up again -- so I apologize to those people.

But what I'd like help with/advice on, but haven't seen covered in any of the older posts I've read, is changing the color of the chrome around the headlights on a 2006 "Cool" (Light Tarnished Silver Metalic).

If anyone with that color car has changed the color of the headlight surrounds, it'd be great to see photos and hear what you think, especially on the question of:
* Changing to match the color of the car (I've seen examples of that on cars of other colors, but not on a "Cool"); and
* Changing to Black (my grills are the same color as the car, and I suspect I'll leave them that color vs. changing them to black).

Thanks-

Carey

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
Carey - I think your question is more of the lines of "can anyone show me pics of?" rather than "how do I?" And now that you bring it up, I don't recall seeing any pics of one done in "cool" body color.

How about photo-shopping one to get an idea? (Whenever I go into a graphics art program my work looks like a second grader did it with crayons.)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Carey - I think your question is more of the lines of "can anyone show me pics of?" rather than "how do I?" And now that you bring it up, I don't recall seeing any pics of one done in "cool" body color.

How about photo-shopping one to get an idea? (Whenever I go into a graphics art program my work looks like a second grader did it with crayons.)
Thanks -- and you're right: My real desire would be to see photos from someone who's done it already, and to hear from Solstice owners (including those who haven't done it) as far as what they think of the look of the different options (leaving as-is; changing to black; or changing to match the body color).

Of course, if I DO decide to change the color, then comes the issue of me being scared s***less about sepparating the covers from the headlights in order to make the change!

As for doing a Photoshop mock-up: Trust me, if I had a clue as to how to use Photoshop, I'd have already done that. If I had Photoshop on my computer, that is. I'm sure I'd give you a run for the money for the "worst skill level in Photoshop" prize!

I figured, with as many forum members as there are, and with as many of them as there are who've done so many things to their cars, there must be at least a FEW of them with "cool" (Liquid Silver Metalic) paint jobs who have re-done their headlights in black, and a few who have done them to match the body color.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Given you have a silver car, going from chrome to body color isn't going to make that much difference IMO. If you want a change, I'd go to black. The headlight separation is really pretty easy, actually. 10 mins in a 200deg oven and they come apart with little fuss.

Here's a (googled) photo of silver/chrome that you could just squint at to get the silver/silver effect. Followed by a silver/black photo to show the contrast...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Given you have a silver car, going from chrome to body color isn't going to make that much difference IMO.
Thanks. That was also my impression and concern.
Oh, with the version with the grills being black, changing the headlight surrounds to match seems to make a lot more sense esthetically than it would on my car, on which the grills are the same color as the body. To have ONLY the headlight surrounds black -- with the grills left "cool" -- would probably look less appealing than leaving them chrome or painting them to match the color of the car -- and with chrome and silver not being terribly different looking, as you've pointed out, why bother changing them to "cool"?

I think, at least for now, I'll stick with leaving my car unchanged as far as the headlights.

Now, if I decide to Plasti-dip my wheels black and like the look, that may lead me to try Plasti-dipping the grills, which might then make changing the headlight surrounds to black worth trying. MULTIPLE things being black, on a silver car, would look better than just having the headlight surrounds in black.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts