Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2007 GXP--75k miles--SLY--Name Pending
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a million posts on this but it seems that no one does this AND retains onstar...

I got headunit / camera / and all the adaptors from Crutchfield and that includes steering wheel an onstar.
From this I gather that I get to keep all of my functions as well as get a reverse signal along with keeping the monsoon stuff.
I even paid for them to make all of the connections for me so the only connections I need to make are the hot and the ground for the back up camera.

With that said, do I need to worry about tapping into the back up signal (back up light) or will any hot wire work?
If any hot wire will work what recommendations?
I already have to run the video wire from the back to the front so tapping hot and ground at the back of the car or the front of the car really doesn't matter.

If it weren't for adding the camera it would take me longer to take the dash apart than it would to put the unit in, I will pay a little extra from now on to get all of from Crutchfield ready to go.

·
Premium Member
1,944 Posts
I know there are a million posts on this but it seems that no one does this AND retains onstar...

I got headunit / camera / and all the adaptors from Crutchfield and that includes steering wheel an onstar.
From this I gather that I get to keep all of my functions as well as get a reverse signal along with keeping the monsoon stuff.
I even paid for them to make all of the connections for me so the only connections I need to make are the hot and the ground for the back up camera.

With that said, do I need to worry about tapping into the back up signal (back up light) or will any hot wire work?
If any hot wire will work what recommendations?
I already have to run the video wire from the back to the front so tapping hot and ground at the back of the car or the front of the car really doesn't matter.

If it weren't for adding the camera it would take me longer to take the dash apart than it would to put the unit in, I will pay a little extra from now on to get all of from Crutchfield ready to go.
I tapped mine into the hot wire in back up lamp. worked great, easy to get to.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, found the hot wire on the passenger back up lamp.
Now I just gotta get the appropriate size tap which of course I don't have.
Only issue I can see is that the wire on the camera is alot smaller than the back up wire.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do stores sell those or do I have to order them online.

·
Premium Member
1,944 Posts
Do stores sell those or do I have to order them online.
you can find them at any auto parts store. If you cant find any, you could use a butt splice and just crimp two wires in one end and one in the other. You could also strip about an inch of insulation off the hot wire and solder the camera wire to it and tape it. And (my least favorite), you could cut the hot wire, twist all stripped ends together and screw on a wire nut

·
Registered
48 Posts
Bayouguy,

You can get Posi-taps from Amazon. There's also a product called "T-taps" (also Amazon) that might be useful.

I installed a Kenwood #DMX4707S & a back-up camera in my 2008 NA w/monsoon. Purchased from Crutchfield. I bugged (used their customer service) them on & off for almost a week & they led me with baby steps through the installation. I couldn't have done it by myself (even if I had the best of written instructions). They are great.

My system now works perfectly (including the steering wheel controls). Using their technical customer service was the best part of buying from them.

Do yourself a favor & just call them. It will definitely make the installation less stressful.

Good luck & let us know how it works out,

G.W.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Posi-taps ordered.
Saw the t-taps and "scotch locks" as well.

I already called support and verified that the only thing I needed to worry about was getting the hot and ground for the camera and the video feed to the head unit.
Very helpful and won't hesitate to call them again.
At this point it seems I can get everything intalled and hooked up and make the tap when I get them from Amazon unless I find something local tomorrow 😉.

I will definitely report back after the install.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Posi-taps ordered.
Saw the t-taps and "scotch locks" as well.

I already called support and verified that the only thing I needed to worry about was getting the hot and ground for the camera and the video feed to the head unit.
Very helpful and won't hesitate to call them again.
At this point it seems I can get everything intalled and hooked up and make the tap when I get them from Amazon unless I find something local tomorrow 😉.

I will definitely report back after the install.
If you order a sample pack from Posi-Tap, or a couple of them you usually get enough of the ones you need for a project and other things you could use them for...if you can remember where you put them. I've found over the years they are great to deal with, ship quickly and best of all the products work and no wires cut. The website is a good read for applications you would not have thought of, including special kits for vehicle audio, etc.

I used them to install the load resistors for the led turn/brake/parking light conversions on the Solstice. They really helped with aux wiring on motorcycles, which can be a real pain. Notice the different wire gauge capabilities and related physical sizes. Enjoy.

Richard Snipes

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, went out in the cold garage last night to tear into this and run the video feed from the trunk to the front, easier than I thought.
Then I figured cuz I had gone that far I may as well get the boomerang off (thanks for the tips on not splitting the handle)
Boomerang out of the way and old head unit out.
May as well plug on the new one right? I mean it's plug and play given I had crutchfield do all the wiring right?
Wrong--the GMOS-LAN-04 does not initialize therefore the headunit will not power up and guess what, it was 10 minutes until crutchfield closed so I guess I will call them tonight when I / we have more time and the garage is a little warmer.
Plugged old one back in and it powers right up so I know I didn't blow a fuse.
Stinks too, that Alpine iLX-W650 is sure gonna look good in there.

anyone ever had a dud GMOS?

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
They are kinda chintzy plastic.. always a possibility it is a dud.
Please keep us posted on what you find out!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After a call to tech and some probing with the meter I didn't have accessory power so a new box is on the way and should be here today to try.
On the bright side, I now have the back up camera all wired and waiting 👍

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And the adventure continues :-(
Got the new GMOS yesterday, plugged in the new box and viola--radio comes on and plays music.
Back up camera works too, when I go to the camera screen and put it in reverse, does not come on automatically when I put it in reverse, more on that in a sec.
Turn everything off, plug in the SWC box and turn key back on, long press the volume up key to program and....drumroll...ONSTAR kicks on and the radio shuts off?????
Call tech support and he walks me through a few things to no avail, he needs to do some research and will call me this evening.
One thing that is interesting, any of the 4 buttons (vol up/down, seek up/down) with a long press will bring up onstar and shut off the radio but the PTT button will not.
As soon as I cancel OS the radio comes back on but this scenario means that I can never program the SWC box as it requires long press of V-up button.
Tod @ Crutchfield was trying his best, turns out that the green/orange wire is supposed to be cut for our application but when I do that I can't hear onstar anymore, it kicks in but I can't hear / can barely hear her.

A little digging into the documentation states "connect the brown wire to the mute wire on the radio if equipped, if the brown wire isn't connected to anything the radio will shut off when onstar is activated"
I find this interesting and honestly I am OK with this scenario if I were actually activating onstar but I am not.
This is what is perplexing, while onstar is talking (with green/orange wire connected so I can hear her) I CAN adjust the volume with the steering wheel to make her louder and softer????

And to top all of that off they switched the parking brake and the reverse wires on my "ready harness" so I have to fix that before I can even get to the settings on my radio.
They said they would refund my $25 so I got that going for me ;-)
If that were the least of my problems I would be ecstatic but I thought having the harness with onstar bypassed the parking brake thing?

Steering wheel controls worked fine with stock head-unit and I am going to test that again when I get home from work today.

Sorry for the long winded post, has anyone ever heard of this scenario?

·
Registered
40 Posts
And the adventure continues :-(
Got the new GMOS yesterday, plugged in the new box and viola--radio comes on and plays music.
Back up camera works too, when I go to the camera screen and put it in reverse, does not come on automatically when I put it in reverse, more on that in a sec.
Turn everything off, plug in the SWC box and turn key back on, long press the volume up key to program and....drumroll...ONSTAR kicks on and the radio shuts off?????
Call tech support and he walks me through a few things to no avail, he needs to do some research and will call me this evening.
One thing that is interesting, any of the 4 buttons (vol up/down, seek up/down) with a long press will bring up onstar and shut off the radio but the PTT button will not.
As soon as I cancel OS the radio comes back on but this scenario means that I can never program the SWC box as it requires long press of V-up button.
Tod @ Crutchfield was trying his best, turns out that the green/orange wire is supposed to be cut for our application but when I do that I can't hear onstar anymore, it kicks in but I can't hear / can barely hear her.

A little digging into the documentation states "connect the brown wire to the mute wire on the radio if equipped, if the brown wire isn't connected to anything the radio will shut off when onstar is activated"
I find this interesting and honestly I am OK with this scenario if I were actually activating onstar but I am not.
This is what is perplexing, while onstar is talking (with green/orange wire connected so I can hear her) I CAN adjust the volume with the steering wheel to make her louder and softer????

And to top all of that off they switched the parking brake and the reverse wires on my "ready harness" so I have to fix that before I can even get to the settings on my radio.
They said they would refund my $25 so I got that going for me ;-)
If that were the least of my problems I would be ecstatic but I thought having the harness with onstar bypassed the parking brake thing?

Steering wheel controls worked fine with stock head-unit and I am going to test that again when I get home from work today.

Sorry for the long winded post, has anyone ever heard of this scenario?
Don't apologize. I'm doing the same to my Sol soon... So I'm interested. I'm just waiting on one back-ordered piece of equipment from Critchfield's. I also (finally) broke the PCV valve plastic nipple on OEM plastic intake tube...so I'm waiting on a new one of those too...so I can, actually finish my de-winterizing and drive it. (I suppose I could fix it with JB Weld, and finish, but I needed an excuse to go shopping). I'll probably start with the new head/unit and camera when I get home from a brief excursion next week.

Luckily I don't have Onstar though, plus, I have an Automatic Tranny....(I call for band name)....so maybe I won't have as much confusion.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I also have automatic transmission, it doesn't appear to matter for the parking brake thing.
They do make a bypass that I ordered and will be here Saturday.
I don't care if I keep onstar, but that harness already had the reverse signal in it, I am beginning to think I should have gone the other route and just tapped the darn reverse wire just like I did for the camera and then do the parking brake bypass.
I may still do that if I can't get the steering wheel buttons to stop initiating the onstar.

·
Registered
91 Posts
...Turn everything off, plug in the SWC box and turn key back on, long press the volume up key to program and....drumroll...ONSTAR kicks on and the radio shuts off?????
Tod @ Crutchfield was trying his best, turns out that the green/orange wire is supposed to be cut for our application but when I do that I can't hear onstar anymore, it kicks in but I can't hear / can barely hear her...
I had the same problem when setting up my radio and SWC's a few months back. Long pressing the volume up button even with the factory setup will activate Onstar. I believe it to be a safety feature if you're in an accident and can't reach the mirror. So the work around this, is you pull the Onstar fuse (#56 I believe) under the hood. This deactivates Onstar while you do the programming. You shouldn't have any issues after that and just reinstall the fuse when you're done and everything will work as it should. Also I had a bad GMOS-LAN-04 unit as well, mine had a parasitic battery drain and killed the battery sitting in the garage a couple of days after install while I waited for another part. I went ahead and ordered another one swapped out the harness and the problem went away.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had the same problem when setting up my radio and SWC's a few months back. Long pressing the volume up button even with the factory setup will activate Onstar. I believe it to be a safety feature if you're in an accident and can't reach the mirror. So the work around this, is you pull the Onstar fuse (#56 I believe) under the hood. This deactivates Onstar while you do the programming. You shouldn't have any issues after that and just reinstall the fuse when you're done and everything will work as it should. Also I had a bad GMOS-LAN-04 unit as well, mine had a parasitic battery drain and killed the battery sitting in the garage a couple of days after install while I waited for another part. I went ahead and ordered another one swapped out the harness and the problem went away.
Now this is some info I can get behind and the exact reason I post on forums.
I will try this when I get home, after I swap the parking brake and reverse wires.

Did you cut the green/orange wire per the instructions?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Now this is some info I can get behind and the exact reason I post on forums.
I will try this when I get home, after I swap the parking brake and reverse wires.

Did you cut the green/orange wire per the instructions?
It's been a while so I'm trying to remember. I know the first harness I followed the instructions to a tee, but still ended up with a battery drain. IIRC on the replacement harness I don't think I did cut it as I was trying to see if something I did caused the drain and wanted to rule everything out. Since I had no issues, I don't remember going back and cutting that wire later though. I do need to go back and open up the dash and rearrange some wires though since I have an annoying rattle back there since the install. Maybe this is a good excuse to do so this weekend and then I can confirm what I did. My only complaint so far now that I'm a few months in is since the harness uses an audible relay to create the turn signal sound vs through the speakers it's difficult to hear the turn signal clicking while driving as that relay is tucked away in the dash. It's a minor problem I know, but I find myself double checking if my blinker is on sometimes since I don't hear the audible feedback like I am used to.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Steveorama

I am going to give this a shot tonight but might wait to button her car back up (assuming it works) until I have the parking break bypass harness that is supposed be here Saturday.
At this point I think I am safe putting her trunk back together and putting the plastic behind the passenger seat back.

Small item will be trying to figure out the best place to mount the USB and microphone

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks Steveorama

I am going to give this a shot tonight but might wait to button her car back up (assuming it works) until I have the parking break bypass harness that is supposed be here Saturday.
At this point I think I am safe putting her trunk back together and putting the plastic behind the passenger seat back.

Small item will be trying to figure out the best place to mount the USB and microphone
Good luck, hopefully everything works out. If I had to do everything all over again I would of pulled the 12V power outlet and replaced it with something like this.

That way I could just plug the other end into the stereo's USB and it would look seamless.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts