Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody replace their headunit while keeping the monsoon system? Looking to replace the head unit with a touch screen double din for now. Prob replace the remaining system later.

·
Registered
609 Posts
The amp is built into the OEM HU, if I recall correctly. If you install a aftermarket HU, you will need an adapter plate, a couple of adapters, an amp to power the OEM sub, and associated wiring. Use Crutchfield as a resource to what you'll need or buy from them.

·
Registered
343 Posts
The amp is built into the OEM HU, if I recall correctly. If you install a aftermarket HU, you will need an adapter plate, a couple of adapters, an amp to power the OEM sub, and associated wiring. Use Crutchfield as a resource to what you'll need or buy from them.
Wait, I thought the factory amp was behind the driver seat.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I did something like that with a pioneer unit that supported iPhone / droid apps.

After some trial and error the best sound was from the pioneer head and the monsoon just driving the woofer.

The reason i picked that head unit it because it had a very good EQ to balance out the system because of the random parts. ( I also replaced the speakers).

If i where to do it again i would not go this path because LED of the head unit gets washed out on even not so bright days. :cryin: The top up does not help much.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
in my coupe, I replaced the Monsoon head unit the the Alpine 8 inch DVD Nav and it sounds a lot better. I was pleasantly surprised at the improvement in sound without adding amps or changing any speakers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I found the best improvement to sound on my monsoon system was the door speakers. The Mfg doors are very cheap.

Once again be wary of a LDC that does not have a lot of lot of contrast.

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Bought my double din touchscreen with GPS and backup camera from Crutchfield. Installed it in my monsoon equipped Sol with no problems. Hardest part of the whole installation was chasing the wiring from the license plate camera to the radio.

I might add that Crutchfield has an EXCELLENT tech service department and can answer any questions you might have.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a hi-end one from Seicane, an unknown dealer from China because I read a review on one of its product. Then, I go there...unexpectedly, the unit I got works well in my car.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
I bought a hi-end one from Seicane, an unknown dealer from China because I read a review on one of its product. Then, I go there...unexpectedly, the unit I got works well in my car.
You CANNOT just end there! We need to have a full review, with pictures, positives and negatives of the unit, and installation tips/gotchas.

You could be a forum hero!

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
I bought a factory replacement from china that was the exact same size as the OEM one so no trim piece needed. it was actually for a chevy silverado but it had the unit thing and speaker for the chime and blinker and a compatible harness. it was 379 with dvd, gps 7" touch screen, windows, OBDII and back up camera. sounds like it would have worked but never got the chance. Going in my Mustang now.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
What unit did you buy? Does it work with all of the bells and whisties in our car???

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I bought a factory replacement from china that was the exact same size as the OEM one so no trim piece needed. it was actually for a chevy silverado but it had the unit thing and speaker for the chime and blinker and a compatible harness. it was 379 with dvd, gps 7" touch screen, windows, OBDII and back up camera. sounds like it would have worked but never got the chance. Going in my Mustang now.
Sounds interesting - what source?

I am OK with the radio/CD part of the stock deck - the sound is adequate and I have a couple of high end audio systems at home, so can tolerate just acceptable in the car. What I was thinking of doing was installing a back up camera - really worthwhile on a coupe. Problem is that when you read the reviews, many say the camera portion is poor and vision limited.

Has anyone done an install with a rear camera that they thought was really good? I got started on this kick when I rode in a friend's Jag F type - excellent deck with very effective camera - don't know who makes them for Jaguar.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
I bought a standard double din and schoche (?) bezel and while it was in transit I came across this one. Here's the link. All the dims were the same and like I said, it included the can bus and came with a speaker for the bells that you would mount under the dash. Looks like a very close match. I elected to get one with the RCA outs and sub woofer control since I had all aftermarket amps but I'm sure it would work with whatever set-up you have.

Android 7"Car DVD GPS Navi for Chevrolet GMC Silverado Avalanche Impala SWC 8 | eBay

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
Has anyone done an install with a rear camera that they thought was really good? I got started on this kick when I rode in a friend's Jag F type - excellent deck with very effective camera - don't know who makes them for Jaguar.
I put a monitor in my sunshade for a rearview camera. Works fine, but turns out the screen is too near my face when flipped down so I need my glasses on to see it clearly (sigh).

Still the camera works fine and it was just a cheap and cheerful eBay thingy. Photo/details here: Backup Camera In Rear View Mirror Install

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
That's the camera I bought and was going to use your license plate bracket mod to mount it. can't beat it for about 15 bucks. hopefully I can make it work with the new car.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I bought a standard double din and schoche (?) bezel and while it was in transit I came across this one. Here's the link. All the dims were the same and like I said, it included the can bus and came with a speaker for the bells that you would mount under the dash. Looks like a very close match. I elected to get one with the RCA outs and sub woofer control since I had all aftermarket amps but I'm sure it would work with whatever set-up you have.

Android 7"Car DVD GPS Navi for Chevrolet GMC Silverado Avalanche Impala SWC 8 | eBay
I wonder if this is really plug and play...going to have to look more into it...

Edit: looking at the harness it will require some modifing since we don't have as many speakers as the truck does, my main concern still is wether this will work with the factory monsoon system

1 - 18 of 18 Posts