Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I don't know if anyone has advice about what to do if your solstice gets in an accident. I was in an accident with significant damage to my beautiful car (2007 navy solstice with tan roof and 34,000 miles). The adjuster said he would know on Monday if it is a total loss--he said it's going to be "close". I adore my car and don't want to lose it. Is it ever possible to use the money from the insurance company and then pay the difference to get the car repaired? (unfortunately, I don't have the funds to fix it all out of pocket).

I don't know if this was the correct forum to pose this question, but I thought I'd give it a try. Thanks for any advice you can give!!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Can't really answer your insurance questions, but I feel really bad for you. Hopefully you'll be able to repair your Sol. Good luck!

·
Registered
563 Posts
The biggest thing is weather the insurance company gives the car a totaled title or not and weather the car is still safe to fix

·
Registered
263 Posts
the same thing happened to me, it was not close to totalled, but around 8k worth of damage, sometimes its best for the car to just be totalled. I love my car, I relaly do, but ever since the accident, the passeneger door scapes against the jamb when closed, the body panels don;t line up, and the paint is literally falling off. I want to have the hack body job done on it repaired really bad, but I'm afraid of the money it will cost if it comesdown to a frame issue and not just a panel alignment and paint issue. the car goes down the road staight, and the alignment machine says its golden, but someday, its going to cost a fortune for me to essentially have this car fixed the way it should have been the first time. So words of wisdom, if it is totalled, or if its even close, fight to total it and buy another one. Avoid having these problems. Anything can be fixed, but their aren't many body shops out there that are going to do it right for only the money insurance companies offer

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
I know how you feel too, My '06 was hit head on and the damage was about $500 over the totaled value. I had about $12000.00 in after market parts on it and was able to take almost everything off and put the stock parts on. I'm still working on getting time to put them on the new '06 and I was very sad indeed to give up my first Solstice, but I don't think the repair would have gotten it back to the way it was prior to the accident. Good luck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I know how much you love your Sol. I love mine that much too, and cars are not just cars to me. BUT, make no mistake, if my car was going to be totaled, I would let it go. Your car will never be the same as it was before, and its resale value will be next to nothing. If I were you, I would be hoping they total the car, and start over while there are still nice examples of these cars out there.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I also have been in your shoes. My first Sol was totalled after only six months. Within a week I had a replacement Sol. It was not the same as the original (different color), but now I actually like it better. Unfortunately the insurance companies rarely give you the money to replace the car, and if you have any mods they give you next to nothing for them. I had over 2000.00 worth of mods, with reciepts, and they offered me 150 bucks for them. I went and pulled everything that was removable.
I wish you the best of luck with the insurance company, and hopefully, they will take good care of you and allow you to drive a great Sol for many more years.

·
Registered
350 Posts
As long as you use a reputable insurance company and repair shop, all repairs are warranteed. For the one above with door scraping issues; If you chose the repair shop, go back there and talk to them. If it was the insurance companies choice/recommendation, call them. The insurance company will pay for all repairs and a rental if that was covered. I have returned a bumper after a year of driving with it. Sometimes the insurance company has to get involved and sometimes the repair place ponies up and does what's right.

I have purchased totaled vehicles for repair and been fine. It is possible to get a wrecked car back to perfect, many people have done it. But then again there are a ton of hacks out there. I purchased a totaled eclipse in 1994. It was a 94 with 880 miles on it. I put 60k on it without an issue aside from a broken alternator bracket which was possibly part of original damage and original body shop charged me nothing to replace it.

I do not know the extent of your damage or if you know of a great shop. Many insurance companies do not allow repurchase of damaged vehicles but some still do. I hit a deer in Dad's denali and they offered 13k total it or 9200 to repair it. He has a new F150 thanks to the deer. With that repair, he would have had a damaged denali with 114K miles. I thought it was an awesome offer.

Only you can decide if the car is worth fixing or if shopping is smarter.

Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
7,509 Posts
Insurance companies "total" a car when they judge the repair to cost more than some percentage of the book value of the car. It is purely a financial consideration, and not a judgment about how repairable the car actually is. With time, money, and ability, virtually any car can be repaired to a condition that is comparable to new.

Insurance repairs usually are not allowed to be done with aftermarket parts, so if OEM or OEM equivalent parts are not available some repairs literally cannot be made, and this can also result in the vehicle being totalled.

My experience with insurance claims has been that the insurance company will give you their estimate (or accept one from an approved repair shop) and, if you accept it, will guarantee to have the work done properly, including a warranty. You have the option of accepting a check for their estimaed amount and doing your own repair, but that ends their obligation. In the case of a totalled vehicle the title typically transfers to the insurance company but, like most things, that is negotiable.

At some point you have to make the judgement about the value of the car to you, and decide whether you want to take the responsibility for the final quality of the repair.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I feel for you. My first convertible, some years ago, was rear-ended in traffic when the guy behind me wasn't paying attention. Though it's not at dramatic (at least for me), it reminded me a bit of when a beloved pet dies - only other pet owners can really sympathize with you. Getting a new pet (or car) doesn't fill the loss.

Good luck there.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I am an insurance broker so I may be able to give you some insight. The car will be totaled if the repair estimate reaches a certain value in relation to the low book value of your car. This varies from company to company. If they do total it you can buy the car back for the salvage price, they will just deduct the amount from your check and then you can either use the money and fix it yourself or pay to have it done. If they do total it the title will be branded as a salvage, which will effect resale value, but if you are going to keep the car for along time this is probably not a big deal. The other thing to look at did the car suffered frame damage. If it did and it was severe the car will never be the same and you may want to just total it. I worked for a rental car company after college and saw numerous frame repairs that just never returned the car to oem specs, we actually got to the point.t where we would sell the cars as damaged units at auction rather than fix them to avoid the hassle they would cause later. Sorry to hear about your car, I hope this helps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts