Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had put down a deposit (not cashed yet) about 4 months ago, the past 2 months, I have been calling the dealer once a week in hopes of any news which there of course were none. I was originally slotted 3 of 4 from a smaller dealership thats about 2 hours away. Seemed the local dealers were all filled up in their allocations.
Anyway, my car was to be mysterious. In a little bit of time, the dealership told me the 4th car in the allocation was kicked out by GM, leaving just the 3 which mine was one of. The past 3 weeks I have been asking for the VOM number and the sales manager has been on vacation, days off, out on business, etc.
Yesterday I finally told the dealership I wanted something in writing about price, VOM, etc. I knew he was going to charge 2-2.5k over msrp (27.5k).
He callled me back with the info - he started it off with he has "good news and bad news". The bad is that GM kicked out my mysterious and now they only have two cars left - a cool and a sly. The good news was that I could pick any of them and they would still "honor" the price of 27.5k.

I truly dont know what I should do. I had my hopes set up on a mysterious, although sly, to me, comes in a close second. I told the dealer I would let him no my decision today of whether or not I wanted it.. The sly has all the options that the mysterious did.
Should I tell him no, I wanted a black one? That would mean I would not even get close to getting one till mid year next year?
I could get the car and possibly think of trading it in next year for a black one, but no doubt I would lose money off that deal.

I dont blame the dealership, as I am sure they would like to sell me the original car I wanted. It's possible the dealership could have known that the mysterious was kicked out earlier, but I would still be in the same boat.

I really dont know what to tell the dealer today when I talk to him.

Any suggestions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
462 Posts
IMO - If they are charging you OVER MSRP... I would definitaly look elsewhere. (and get a black Solstice like you want) :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
You should of got the VOM from the beginning. MSRP not over. Why are these cars being Kicked?
I think you get your deposit back and shop somewhere else, somewhere Honest.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
IWantOne said:
I had put down a deposit (not cashed yet) about 4 months ago, the past 2 months, I have been calling the dealer once a week in hopes of any news which there of course were none. I was originally slotted 3 of 4 from a smaller dealership thats about 2 hours away. Seemed the local dealers were all filled up in their allocations.
Anyway, my car was to be mysterious. In a little bit of time, the dealership told me the 4th car in the allocation was kicked out by GM, leaving just the 3 which mine was one of. The past 3 weeks I have been asking for the VOM number and the sales manager has been on vacation, days off, out on business, etc.
Yesterday I finally told the dealership I wanted something in writing about price, VOM, etc. I knew he was going to charge 2-2.5k over msrp (27.5k).
He callled me back with the info - he started it off with he has "good news and bad news". The bad is that GM kicked out my mysterious and now they only have two cars left - a cool and a sly. The good news was that I could pick any of them and they would still "honor" the price of 27.5k.

I truly dont know what I should do. I had my hopes set up on a mysterious, although sly, to me, comes in a close second. I told the dealer I would let him no my decision today of whether or not I wanted it.. The sly has all the options that the mysterious did.
Should I tell him no, I wanted a black one? That would mean I would not even get close to getting one till mid year next year?
I could get the car and possibly think of trading it in next year for a black one, but no doubt I would lose money off that deal.

I dont blame the dealership, as I am sure they would like to sell me the original car I wanted. It's possible the dealership could have known that the mysterious was kicked out earlier, but I would still be in the same boat.

I really dont know what to tell the dealer today when I talk to him.

Any suggestions?
Just my opinion, but there is no way in the world that I would pay $2500 over invoice. The dealer won't give you $2500 over book value in a year if you want to trade. It is just greed on there part. Good luck on your decision!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
401 Posts
IMO you are going to have to wait tell next year to get it, I would look for your color and I think by them will not have to pay over MSRP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
Any suggestions? - yes

I would take a look elsewhere - there are still dealers with some 1st allocation availiable. Where are you? That could give everyone a better chance to help you locate a sol for you.

GOOD LUCK!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am close to Portland Or.

Thanks for all the help. This forum and its members are of great value.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
472 Posts
IWantOne said:
I am close to Portland Or.

Thanks for all the help. This forum and its members are of great value.
The Pontiac dealer in Albany, OR may still have allocation left and they are at MSRP. Shop around, don't overpay! What is the name of your greedy dealer? Send me a PM for more info on the PDX market.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
542 Posts
See ATL 1st 1K available thread...you may just be in luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
I saw a Sly in person at a Ride and Drive and I tell you it looked really good. If it was not too late I myself would consider a change to either Sly or Deep. Probably Sly over Deep.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SunSports said:
The Pontiac dealer in Albany, OR may still have allocation left and they are at MSRP. Shop around, don't overpay! What is the name of your greedy dealer? Send me a PM for more info on the PDX market.
Thanks for the info, will give them a shot, also sent ya a PM.
Dont know if I should list the dealer here or not, but, it was
Willamette Auto Group-Pontiac in Salem, Or.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,532 Posts
Crooks

As have posted time after time. Contact GM customer service. I also have a toll free # for Pontiac Division. 1-248-857-5000. Report these crooks. Look elsewhere if you do not get any satisfaction from these to sources.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
397 Posts
I'm confused - They were allocated 4 cars and now Pontiac is taking 2 back? I've never heard of this happening. Also, they took an order from you but the first two weren't for other customers? Finally, were the other orders already in production because if not, I believe they could still change the color.
All of this PLUS charging you over MSRP - it all sounds WAY to crooked.

If you can find a 1st allocation somewhere else - RUN! Run as fast as you can!!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
585 Posts
Tell the dealer to stick the $2500 up his arse and I mean that in the nicest way. ;) I had my SRT-4 shipped up from a dealer in Florida to New Hampshire for $600 in 2003 when we were going through that gouging thing back then.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
254 Posts
mcbman said:
IMO - If they are charging you OVER MSRP... I would definitaly look elsewhere. (and get a black Solstice like you want) :cool:
If the dealer tried to gouge me on the price after all that I would tell him to take the car and insert it sideways up his a$$; and then I would look for a reputable dealer. :yesnod:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
254 Posts
IWantOne said:
I am close to Portland Or.

Thanks for all the help. This forum and its members are of great value.
I'm from Beaverton and as I recall there are several Pontiac dealers in the Portland metro and surrounding area.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
mcbman said:
IMO - If they are charging you OVER MSRP... I would definitaly look elsewhere. (and get a black Solstice like you want) :cool:
I keep reading this (look elsewhere) on thread after thread regarding paying over MSRP. The latest info available tells us that we will have 7000 by years end and 17-18,000 units for all of next year. To date, info suggests there are already over 13,000 sold orders. That means all of this year's production plus almost half of next year's is already spoken for. Dealers are already taking orders into their second allocation. Those dealers who are not taking orders are no doubt those who intend to mark their cars up. Therefore, a buyer has two choices. Order at MSRP and wait until some time next summer for thier vehicle, or buy now and get the best deal they can (but expect to pay over MSPR).

WHERE ELSE ARE YOU GOING TO LOOK? That statement makes no sense to me at all. As demand grows for this car, and it will, those dealers selling at MSRP will soon have thier entire next year's allocation spoken for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,248 Posts
PM Latin God and find out which dealers called him with offers of 1st allocation...

link: PM Latin God and ask him which dealerships were offering him 1st allocation cars as he reported at this thread link to: Number of Solstice's ordered? Exaggerations or accurate?.

Call the dealerships, and arrange to have the vehicles shipped to a local dealer, preferably NOT the one that you've been using so far.

Contact Small Dealer , GTOJ , or 2KWK4U for answers as to how to set up this drop shipment to a local dealer.

When you do place your deposit, send along a deposit agreement something like this:
2006 Pontiac Solstice Deposit Acceptance

In consideration for $500 in deposit to be applied to the purchase price, -dealer-name- agrees to offer (subject to availability) -your-name- a 2006 Pontiac Solstice at MSRP without a dealer or market based price markup. This MSRP price point will apply to a unit purchased through either the Early Order program or a regular order from their dealer's regular allocation.

Signed:

_______________________
-your-name-

___________
Date


_______________________
-fleet-manager's-name-

___________
Date
Once you give them your deposit, and you have nothing in writing saying MSRP, you'll be subject to the mood and market pressures of the dealer at the time you can finally place the order for the automatic Solstice. As I have said before, AFTER you have given them your money, they will have almost NO incentive to agree to MSRP without markups.

Now, the standard disclaimer applies, I am not a lawyer. However, this should give you a starting point to get your MSRP agreement in writing.

Best of luck! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanx all for the info.. I did cancel my order - boy, was he surprised.
It sure felt good though :yesnod:

My local dealers around here either said they had all the orders they could take or wanted to charge me 5k for a car, one lady even insisted she "had to" mark it up.

I did call the dealership in Albany, he was very nice - charged msrp, gave me my VOM and ordered it on the phone while I was with him.

I am now # 4 of 4 in the first allocation. He was surprised that I knew about allocations, etc, and I told him I was surprised that he could get me my VOM so quick.. He stated he learned from a member from this forum on how to do it.

So THANK YOU ALL for your help. Instead of paying 2.5k over msrp, and on a car that I didnt order, with your help I am getting the car I want for msrp, may be a few weeks later, but oh well.

Now back to the wait game.. at least I am on the wait game :lurk:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
676 Posts
Way to go! Glad you found a way to make it work and it will be worth it. You wouldn't want to get a car that you really didn't want---you would always be thinking about the one you would rather have had. There are many reputable dealers out there and we should encourage referrals to them. They deserve all the business they can get. I'm very happy for you!!!!!!
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top