Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’m pretty sure my heater core has gone out. When I turn the dial towards warm I get some smoke coming out from under the dash and then the inside of the windshield begins to fog up. I am loosing a lot of coolant from somewhere but I am not sure where it is coming from. In the picture below you can see this hole in the fire wall that looks wet. Is this an overflow for the heater core? or is there supposed to be a hose connected here and running somewhere else? I’ve also tried a radiator/heater core leak stop liquid but ya that didn’t work. I live in california so I don’t use the heater much and don’t anticipate using it for a while, any other quick temporary fixes or bypasses?

sorry not sure how to get the pictures to post here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/13514771713/in/photostream/

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m pretty sure my heater core has gone out. When I turn the dial towards warm I get some smoke coming out from under the dash and then the inside of the windshield begins to fog up. I am loosing a lot of coolant from somewhere but I am not sure where it is coming from. In the picture below you can see this hole in the fire wall that looks wet. Is this an overflow for the heater core? or is there supposed to be a hose connected here and running somewhere else? I’ve also tried a radiator/heater core leak stop liquid but ya that didn’t work. I live in california so I don’t use the heater much and don’t anticipate using it for a while, any other quick temporary fixes or bypasses?

sorry not sure how to get the pictures to post here

https://flic.kr/p/mAfJMp
I’m having the same issue with my 2006 na. Started loosing coolant and found it dripping from the same tube. I’m assuming the tube is ac drain

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
If you have a coolant leak in the heater core, coolant could come out at the AC condensate drain shown in the picture. You could remove the heater core (no small job), plug the hoses, and take it to a radiator shop. They may be able to repair it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Most of the dash need s to come out to get the heater core out.
life you’re in a warm place, could bypass the core by connecting the inlet and outlet tubes at the back of the block.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Do you smell coolant inside the car? If not, it's not your heatercore leaking. You have a plugged drain hole at that point and will have to figure out how to open it. If your heater core is leaking, the "steam" on the window doesn't disipate....it'll stay covered in a film that has to be wiped away. If it's leaking bad enough to cause the film, you should also smell like coolant when you get out. Had 2 cars with a leaky HC..that's how I know.

How many miles on your car? Turbo or NA? Have you really looked around the WP area??? Both removing the heater core and the WP are about as big a pain in the rear as each other. Have you touched the fluid coming out of the drain to see if it's oily and smells like coolant? There is a hose that goes in and one that comes out, but not sure you could find a bypass.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Did you ever figure this out? Curious minds want to know....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts