Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car USED to stay around 196-198 degrees (coolant), even when I would stop at a red light for a minute or two. Nowadays, when I'm driving it'll be steady at 196-198 degrees, but as soon as i stop at a red light, I'll notice the temps go up and the fans kick on EVERY SINGLE TIME (205-207 degrees)!!! Any ideas on what happened, or what i can do to improve cooling???

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I don't think that is anything to worry about. If it starts heading to 250, time to shut down and get the restrictors put in the heater hoses, or replace the cap etc.

·
Super Moderator
16,089 Posts
If you go into the posts from around 07-08 you will find a lot of discussion about "normal" temps

Normal for my car used to be 200 - 205. For the wife's Sky, normal was about free degrees indicated lower

As has been stated above, temps are interesting but not hazardous until you get above 240 indicated for an extended time.

The difference you are seeing may be due to changing ambient temps, aging of the temp sensor or any number of non critical things. Keep an eye on it but not time to worry yet.

If you stare getting higher temps, wide fluctuations or loss of coolant, then it's time to go looking for a problem

·
Registered
395 Posts
How are your fans kicking on at 205? I thought they kicked on ~220 or higher. Also of note, if yours is an 07, you're almost at 5 years old- time for a coolant flush and replace (5 years or 100K, whichever comes first). Coolant has additives that do expire. When you do that, typically you replace the thermostat as well.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I don't think that is anything to worry about. If it starts heading to 250, time to shut down and get the restrictors put in the heater hoses, or replace the cap etc.
:agree: Ditto.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Lots of people have reported that with the heater on the temps go up, so if you've been running with heat that might explain it.

How are you monitoring fan operation?

·
Registered
991 Posts
Lots of people have reported that with the heater on the temps go up, so if you've been running with heat that might explain it.

How are you monitoring fan operation?
Wonder if that explains the weird thing I had happen last year. Mine is normally around 198 but I have seen 210. Last year I had the heater on and it was blowing cold air. When I checked the DIC it was reading 240 :willy:. Does having the heater on affect the cooling fan behaviour? It hasn't seem to have happened since then, maybe just one of those glitches to keep you wondering...

·
Registered
395 Posts
Ok, i'll do a coolant flush and see if it helps.
Make sure it gets done via proper procedure. These cooling systems are very susceptible to getting air bubbles.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Wonder if that explains the weird thing I had happen last year. Mine is normally around 198 but I have seen 210. Last year I had the heater on and it was blowing cold air. When I checked the DIC it was reading 240 :willy:. Does having the heater on affect the cooling fan behaviour? It hasn't seem to have happened since then, maybe just one of those glitches to keep you wondering...
Canuck,
Sounds like you had the air bubble problem like I had with mine last winter. However, once my problem happened it continued; not sure why yours seems to have 'fixed itself'.
Took mine in to dealer and they had it about 5 weeks waiting for the valves (it was still under warranty then and I got a free loaner).

·
Registered
281 Posts
I agree with Tom in that this sounds more like an air bubble. Having the heat on doesn't do anything to the cooling fan directly (From what I know), but if the coolant becomes hotter you might see more fan activity.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea, i agree. I do notice that with the heater on, the temps rise up faster and even reach "cooling fan" minimum very quickly. Even when driving around, cruising.

·
Super Moderator
16,089 Posts
The ECM / BCM turns up the engine temp about 5 degrees when you turn on the heater. This compensates for the heat pulled out of the system by the heater core and gives a better " heating experience"

If you see fluctuating temps getting up to 220 or higher, coupled with intermittent heater cold / hot air it's most likely an air bubble. If you see consistent very high temps, look to the thermostat or water pump

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just had the coolant changed and thermostat replaced last month. Noticed my temps used to be around 199-204 and a week ago went to 205-214. I even did the DDM procedure to get the air out of the system and still getting up to 214 degrees. I went to grease my bushing today and noticed tons of leaves, grass and other debris stuck on the radiator between the intercooler and radiator. Could be the same issue you are experiencing.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I remember someone here mentioning that our cars are like vacuum cleaners and that leaves and debris get stuck there very easily.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Rob, don't mean to doubt you, but I guess I am, but how does the ECM/BCM change the operating temp of the engine when the temp is controlled by an unadjustable thermostat and fans that come on at a much higher temp?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm having the same issue again. Mine started with using the heater for the first time, bled it and it was more or less fine. Recently it started again so I bled it with more gravity (my version of the DDM method), now it's creeping up again. So I'll check the leaf situation as well. Maybe this is well known here but another group on FB posted this:
ALERT; Everyone needs to check your upper coolent hose, mainly the turbo cars. If your upper hose crosses over from the passenger to the drive side. Been seeing a lot of reports of the hose rubbing on the fan shroud, cutting into the hose. I checked mine and found a notch in the hose.
To fix the problem, you'll need to sand or file down the center rib on the shroud and replace the hose, before it cuts through.
I'm gonna check mine just in case.....

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
ALERT; Everyone needs to check your upper coolent hose, mainly the turbo cars. If your upper hose crosses over from the passenger to the drive side. Been seeing a lot of reports of the hose rubbing on the fan shroud, cutting into the hose. I checked mine and found a notch in the hose.
To fix the problem, you'll need to sand or file down the center rib on the shroud and replace the hose, before it cuts through.
Big thread(s) on this recently on the fora too, with multiple (including non-destructive) ways of ameliorating the issue... http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f59/fan-shroud-cutting-into-rad-hose-2-0l-74064/

Personally though, I haven't heard of anyone's hose actually springing a leak.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts