Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't wait to get my hands on the new solstice. We have big plans for the little car :wink

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Good to hear it! Would you like to drop some hints as to what sort of plans are in the works?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
we will have a lot of basic bolt on packages for the solstice along with a v8 replacement package! more to come!!

·
Registered
535 Posts
LS1 SOURCE said:
we will have a lot of basic bolt on packages for the solstice along with a v8 replacement package! more to come!!
Have you done any work with the Ecotec's currently available? And if so, what parts and performance levels have you achieved?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Stephen M said:
I agree, although given the name "LS1 Source" and the links in his sig, I'd say they're gonna try for a certain all-aluminum V-8 :)
agreed, and LS1 SOURCE, please be sure to keep us updated!

also, where are you located? i have just begun a potentially profitable business venture, and my screwed up priorities assure me that if im successfull, i will be your first satisfied customer with respect to the Solstice v8 replacement, as long as it is finely tuned by the way :cool

·
Registered
533 Posts
LS1 SOURCE said:
Will any of it be certified for 50 state emissions compliance?

·
Registered
151 Posts
i hope not!

j/k, that would be nice, but if thats not a factor, im sure we will see more power!

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I guess no car in America is complete untill it has a V8 in it. Why not a V10? After all that's two more. And to those who say it won't fit, Yankee inginuity will see to that.

By the way, anybody check the price of gas lately? It ain't going down, which means there will be lots of cheap V8s out there when they start junking all those 4 door 4x4 pickups and SUVs. Hot Roder's paradise.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Considering that someone managed to stuff a SBC into a Bugeye, anything is possible.

That said, in the 3-4 liter range (170 to 240 cid) and 87 octane (even 93) PON gas, a six just makes more sense from a power/economy/drivability standpoint.

Not saying there have not been small V-8s, flathead ford was 221 cid & original SBC was 265. Daimler even had a 2.5 liter V-8 in the SP 250 and the 215 Buick is still going strong but none with the possible exception of the Buick has ever been updated to modern specs.

Combustion physics define the effective characteristics of the chamber and the bore and stroke falls out of that, this is the reason that the the 3-4 liter range that is dominant for American passenger vehicles today, nearly every production car engine is a V-6. Today the smallest American V-8 I know of is the 4.0 Aurora engine and it was a Northstar derivative. Guess olds needed a V-8 and GM pecking order meant it had to be lesser than the Cad version that is now available in the Bonneville.

What I am trying to say is that for a given engine displacement, there is a number of cylinders that is most efficient for today's conditions. You can have more if you want and can fit it in but for any car you have to consider the entire package and what you want it to do. If you want a ten second Pontiac for $20k, I suggest you start with a $2k Fiero.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
My mom had a 62 Buick Special station wagon with a 198 cubic inch aluminium
V8 (a de-stroked 215). Had an aluminium automatic that I blew up twice!

Leave your Miata off at Monster Miata in Long Beach, CA and they'd drop in a 5 Litre Ford V8 and a Ford 5 speed mated to an RX7 rear end. Ten years ago, it cost 10 grand (I think) but for 3 more, they'd put an Eaton Supercharger on it! All fit under the stock hood! Only threw the weight bias off from 50/50 to 55/45. And with that kind of power available, you could power slide at will. Guess now-a-days they call it "Drifting".

In '92, Mazda had a car you could buy with a 1.8 Liter V6. Think it didn't catch on 'cuz it was so God-awful ugly!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Vita said:
agreed, and LS1 SOURCE, please be sure to keep us updated!

also, where are you located? i have just begun a potentially profitable business venture, and my screwed up priorities assure me that if im successfull, i will be your first satisfied customer with respect to the Solstice v8 replacement, as long as it is finely tuned by the way :cool
We are located in Hudson, Ohio. I will be sure to keep everyone updated as we expand our line on the solstice. We are working with companies that will be building fiberglass and carbonfiber body panels and kits for the solstice as well. With the car being affordable the aftermarket will be focusing on this car because the younger market will be able to afford it as well as the older crowd. It is going to be an exciting car that's for sure! Good luck on your new business! thank you, bill

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
A V8 conversion sounds like an awesome modification to this car, but it also looks like it will be a challenging one to do! There did not appear to be much wiggle room in the engine compartment area of the Kappa rolling chasis at Detroit. Is the Ecotec just that large of a 4 cylinder engine (outside dimension-wise)? Best of luck on the project!

·
Registered
535 Posts
LS1, just in case you missed it?

Darkhamr said:
Have you done any work with the Ecotec's currently available? And if so, what parts and performance levels have you achieved?

and Dreamer Dave the sewing machine you are referring to was in the MX3.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
LS1 Source,
Just wondering. What's your target price for a V8 conversion? Under 15? Under 20? More? Obviously, won't hold you to it. Just figured while I was dreaming of a Solstice, I might as well DREAM BIG! :party

·
Registered
6 Posts
Man an LS1 would be great but I am thinking perhaps a SC 3.8 out of a GTP would be a great addition to the little guy. Do they make SC for the 2.4 now or are they Turbo Charged?

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
LS1 SOURCE said:
...We are working with companies that will be building fiberglass and carbonfiber body panels and kits for the solstice as well. ...
Well, some things you may want your guys to work on right away

1) A retrofit package for adding more storage space/trunk space in case GM doesn't get the trunk big enough
2) A removable hardtop that replaces top and stows in same place in case GM isn't working on one (preferably carbon fiber or lightweight)

Just suggestions. Know it's difficult to do for a car that's not out yet.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts