Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and girls,

I just wanted to introduce myself and tell everyone here hello. I bought my 2.4 stock 06 Solstice from my neighbor with 67k miles on it. I now have 75k on it and it is a great vehicle. I have already used the forum to diagnose and repair my check engine light. It was the Camshaft actuator solenoids, which i picked up at O'Reilly's auto parts and easily changed. The differential is unfortunately leaking some fluid. I changed the fluid and now I am going to clean the outside of the differential and monitor for the source. Minor little inconveniences. Hopefully I can get 200k miles out of this vehicle and then maybe drop some major mods on it perhaps 10 years down the road. Maybe by then we will have the option of jet engines instead of LS7s.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Did the previous owner do the pinion seal recall? If not, that may be where your leak is coming from. If they didn't, it should still be covered because it's a recall issue. Maybe you can kill 2 birds with one stone and get your leak fixed by having this fixed/replaced.

Also, if the diff. locks up on you, be prepared for an abrupt sudden, jerking stop! I don't want to scare you, but it's not a good thing to happen, several people on our forum have had this happen to them while driving in traffic. Definitely something to look into getting fixed.

This is from an old thread regarding the recall:
The procedure is available in Document Id#2045695 on their electronic service information systems.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I too have an 06 and have found a wealth of knowledge, great advice, and parts on this forum.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did the previous owner do the pinion seal recall? If not, that may be where your leak is coming from. If they didn't, it should still be covered because it's a recall issue. Maybe you can kill 2 birds with one stone and get your leak fixed by having this fixed/replaced.

Also, if the diff. locks up on you, be prepared for an abrupt sudden, jerking stop! I don't want to scare you, but it's not a good thing to happen, several people on our forum have had this happen to them while driving in traffic. Definitely something to look into getting fixed.

This is from an old thread regarding the recall:
The procedure is available in Document Id#2045695 on their electronic service information systems.
I just called a local dealership and gave them my vin. They looked it up, and were able to see that the differential seal got changed in July of '09. I guess i should keep an eagle eye on the differential fluid level, and always keep it full, to prevent a possible catastrophic lock up. That's kind of scary. I also notice that the diff. drags a little bit sometimes, depending on how i launch from a complete stop. When this happens i have to either speed up or slow down a bit and it alleviates the problem.

If it gets too bad, or if it starts losing too much fluid, I'm guessing the only solution is to replace the differential.

Thanks for the replies

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Welcome!

I had my leaky Diff fixed under warranty and it's been okay since then, granted I still have only 15k miles on my car.

Differentials shouldn't leak, I'd fix it sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Welcome,
LLLFLY

·
Registered
263 Posts
If it gets too bad, or if it starts losing too much fluid, I'm guessing the only solution is to replace the differential.
Nah, a qualified repair shop should be able to find the leak. I'm not up to date on how much a decent used diff goes for, but I bed a pinion seal, or axle seal is much much cheaper. I'm sure if you wash it down with some carb clean or engine brite, you'll be able to see where its coming from

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Welcome Luis.

Just the way you used the phrase "launch from a complete stop" let's me know you'll enjoy this car and fit in JUST fine! : )

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
Welcome! And enjoy the experience.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi I am a new member. Does anyone have the answer as to why I cannot post my user profile or my avatar? By the way I just bought Belle Sapphire a Deep O7 base. Love her!

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
Well, hello Cb! Welcome to the forum. The posting stuff is just to let the Moderators have some time to get to know you. Post often and well............

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts