Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few of us are going to the open drags this Friday night. All I can find is that you need a helmet for a 13:99 or quicker car.

True? I know it makes sense from a safety perspective, but I was wondering more from a having a convertable. In the past I had all hardtop cars when we did this.

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,733 Posts
Here's the 2 most relevent NHRA rules:

Helmet: If your car runs 13.99 or quicker you must have a helmet with a SNELL 2000 rating or newer.

Roll Bar: Mandatory in cars running 11.00 to 11.49 (including T-Tops), in convertibles running 11.00 to 13.49, and all dune-buggy type vehicles running 12.00 and slower. See NHRA Rulebook Sec. 4A.

·
Registered
676 Posts
and roll bars SUCK for hte kappa. Bottom line is you will basically be doing a back half chassis and fuel cell if you plan to seriously drag race your kappa.

I decided that once I hit the point where they kick me out for not having a roll bar, the sky will just be a street car.

BTW in a stock/ mostly stock kappa, you wont need a helmet. A tuned turbo car can get into the 13's but not far without some more extensive mods

·
Registered
299 Posts
It also depends on the track you're running at. I was low 13's and was never told to put a helmet on in another car (not the solstice). But unless you've done a ton to your car I really don't think you have to worry about it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts