Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, word on the street is that the Solstice, being RWD, has an Ecotec motor with a Corvette tranny. Same 6-speed that's in the F-body (Camaro Firebird) cars as well.

Now, does this mean that the Ecotec has the same bolt pattern as the Chevy 350 small block???

If it does, I will kiss Bob Lutz, cause he just saved me from having to weld new transmission mounts, make new shift brackets, and get custom ($$$) axles.

I'm putting an Ecotec into my Fiero. I have everything for it, motor, tranny, turbo kit, and a separate engine cradle to build it on. Motor and tranny are from a 2003 Cavalier (manual 5-speed).

Now, here's the deal, the Fiero transmissions can bolt onto a Chevy 350 small block (and many other GM motors) with an adapter plate from www.v8archie.com. Many people have v8 Fiero's nowadays, but I wanted to be different with a turbo Ecotec.

Might I add, the Soltice is what inspired me to do the Ecotec conversion.

Now, common logic would suggest, that if the Ecotec mated to the STANDARD (no adaptor plate, no custom bellhousing) Corvette tranny, then it has the same bolt pattern as a 350 smallblock. If the Ecotec has the same bolt pattern as the 350 small block, then all I have to do is get an adaptor plate for a V8 Fiero, and my Ecotec will bolt onto the tranny that's already in my car.

If I can do that, then I will save over $2000, and shave off about a months worth of work.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Petty Officer Michael C Casaceli
United States Navy
www.fieroturbo.com, www.suprememotorsports.com

P.S. If someone can supply a photo of a 350 Chevy bellhousing or its transmission, I can match it to my Ecotec for comparison.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Apparently, there are two threads here, but I answered the most recent with:

solsticeman said:
fieroturbo said:
Ok, word on the street is that the Solstice, being RWD, has an Ecotec motor with a Corvette tranny. Same 6-speed that's in the F-body (Camaro Firebird) cars as well...
Word on the street is absolutely WRONG.

2.4 liter VVT Ecotec mated to an Aisin 5-speed trans (similar to the one in the Chevy Colorado, apparently, if my insider info is right).

You probably have old info from the original bucket o' parts 2002 concept car that was over-hyped as some supercharged 240 hp with a trailblazer differential and a T-56 (vette) trans. That car did not even have an operating top, a top speed of about 45 MPH (as rumor goes) and was only intended to be a show car for the 2002 NAIAS. Had a strut front suspension, and it was even incorrectly stated as a "Delta" platform vehicle, even though the Saturn ION is FWD with a torsion beam rear suspension. Ch-yah.

It bears resemblance to the production solstice in surface and overall dimensions only. Everything underneath is as different as a Honda S2000 is to a BMWZ4.

Sorry to pop yer bubble.

BTW, an ecotec is a great choice for the Fiero. Any estimates on your anticipated power output?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BTW, is the Aisin tranny the same bellhousing? What the heck is an Aisin tranny? That's new to me. Well, anywho, doesn't the Colorado have the Chevy Small block in it?

·
Registered
281 Posts
fieroturbo said:
BTW, is the Aisin tranny the same bellhousing? What the heck is an Aisin tranny? That's new to me. Well, anywho, doesn't the Colorado have the Chevy Small block in it?
the colorado has an inline-5. i dont know anything specific about the bolt pattern for the bellhousing. but, i think its safe to assume that the tranny will be built to fit the ecotec and not vise versa. you could then assume, that the aisin tranny will share the same bolt pattern as the auto that GM will no doubt offer in the solstice. its possible then, that another GM RWD manual would fit the ecotec. again, im just speculating here. i have no specific knowledge. however, i do know that some thngs are common with all GM trannys. for example, i have a tranny dipstick/tube for a 700R4 in my 4T65E-HD.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts