Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
PATIOTRAY said:
Just returned from NAIAS- an 11 hr drive from Richmond- do I want a Solstice bad or what? Anyhow, it looks like the Smart Roadster has similar problems- here's their solution. It was really sharp! BTW, I love this car, but not enough power!

http://www.solsticeforum.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=279
The only problem with this type of solution is the permenantly mounted rack that holds the case would ruin the awsome looks of the rear deck on the Solstice IMO.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
The one in the first link looked like temporary thing, that would be cool, attach like a bike rack and then take off after the trip.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i think the removable roof brackets and boot brackets are made high enough to accomodate the contour of the most bulbous roof so the maker can use the same bracket for cars from different makers. i would expect better in a permanent rack, but if the rack is temporary and removable.... my first, maybe only choice in a rack....... the generic height is not that big a deal.

·
Registered
48 Posts
With the reverse hinge design wouldn't putting luggage on top of the trunk make for a problem accessing the top?

If the stop position for the lid is still at a forward angle it would fall back down as you are trying to get the top in/out? Hydraulic struts are often weak when there is added weight. Maybe you have to stick your shoulder under the side of it to prop it up while yanking the top out?

:lol

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Slipstream said:
...Hydraulic struts are often weak when there is added weight. ...
If it has hydraulic struts - those are expensive, and the cheaper thing is to have torsional springs.

I think you'll need a prop rod if you're adding anything to the decklid.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
If you have added weight on the trunklid, and it is held up by hydraulic struts (a big "if" as SM points out) you could always swap the struts out for heavier duty ones to hold the extra weight.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts