Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
81 - 83 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
3,135 Posts
If you were losing that much boost pressure from a leak you would hear it. I think you may have a stuck or improper adjustment on the wastegate rod. It could also be a pin hole in one of the vacuum lines for the wategate solenoid or wastegate actuator. That you would not hear. If we are coming up empty handed after the WOT runs I am going to tell you to replace those vacuum lines and also the clamps. I want you to use high pressure fuel injector clamps and not worm gear or the stock spring clamps as they both kinda suck.

You can do my budget braided stainless steel braided vacuum lines if you want to spice up the looks a bit. Most towns have some kind of a resale recycle place like a Restore. Go to one of those places and pick up a couple of stainless steel braided service lines for house hold sinks. The longer the better. Cut the ends off of the service line and the braiding will slide right off and can be slid very easily over the new vacuum lines. You will want to use either an adhesive backed shrink tube or electrical tape to hold the ends of the braiding in place and to also keep the stray wires from poking your fingers. makes it easier to get the clamps on and to push the vacuum lines on as well. The service tubes should cost about 1.00 a piece at the recycle place. simple and really inexpensive thing to dress up the engine a bit. All of the vacuum lines are the same diameter o the car so if you wanted to do the same thing to all of them you can. You can also do it to the overflow coolant lines and the turbo coolant line that crosses in front of the block.

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious
993 Posts
+1 for the “thingy” if it is the vacuum Venturi thing you couple with a compressor.

flawless, air bubble free fill twice in a row (don’t ask why it was twice)

seriously a wise investment if you value your time.
Also has the added bonus of telling you if there are any leaked in the system before you put coolant in.

doesn’t answer the thermostat question.

i will disagree with the “easy” part in the thermostat.
I used many different socket extenders and such to get to that damn bolt in the back side of the thermostat and had a wildly frustrating time rotating the hose clamp out of the way of that bolt head.
Not that it’s “hard” to do just… difficult to get the right tool at the right angle to get to squeeze that darn hose clamp.

the part is certainly inexpensive enough and if you have a decent assortment of long nose pliers and socket extensions and a good back (I do not) it is certainly doable. But not what I would describe as “easy” :)

I will say once I got it all back together I was like “that wasn’t that bad”. Butnext time I will bribe a younger friend with a good back with some hot pizza and cold beer and “supervise”.

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
3,135 Posts
Not that it’s “hard” to do just… difficult to get the right tool at the right angle to get to squeeze that darn hose clamp.

you don't squeeze the clamp. I cut the clamp off with a Dremil tool and a cutoff wheel.. You don't have to go all the way through the metal on the clamp . just far enough so it will break when you slide a flat head screwdriver between the hose and the clamp. then give a twist and the clamp snaps and comes right off. Put a new clamp on without even taking the hose off the water neck. Then it's a ling 1/4" drive extension and a 1/4" drive swivel at the end with a 10 mm socket on it.

If you don't want to cut the clamp. Look at how the clamps are made you can also easily put a piece of mechanics wire through the clamp and make a loop. then put a screwdriver in the loop and give it a few twists when you pull up on the screwdriver if you have it looped through correctly it will loosen the clamp enough for it to spin.

81 - 83 of 83 Posts