Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
from the Solstice!
I owned a Triumph Spitfire as a 17-20 year old decades ago. The evil Dragon that I married made me get rid of it. (yes, p**** whipped)I dumped that woman decades later.(or rather she cleaned me out and dumped me) I still dream of the Spitty...then...I discovered the Solstice. (2001 Space Odyssey monolith music in the background)
Love!!!
Dreams, Delusions and fanstasies of pure joy! The closest thing that captures the spirit of British roadsters. (Miatas dont, they are a girly car)
I live in Italy so it was going to be a daily driver and cruiser...
Then the Dark side came in. (the practical side)
The Military sales program, charges me 1700 dollars to ship to Italy, twice what it should be...I still pay for US S+H too. Total
shipping/handling/process $2700..

So what! I said..Its only money!
Then I realized there is no trunk worthy of the name. Oh oh...my dreams include cruising the Alps of Italy/Swiss/France staying in bed and breakfasts and more! I cant even bring a small suitcase?!!
So What! I thought. So I smell a little before
I get back..I'll fit right in with the Euro's!!
As I'm looking at the printout I notice another thing in standard equip
A Tire Repair Kit, tool kit and tire sealant.
What the Fuuuuh? No spare tire...none is listed.
Hmmm...So dont get a badflat and dont bring anything larger than a slurpee and ..
Its a day tripping car (heavy sigh)...Even the spitty had a trunk, I took it cross country twice at 18...(chasing the future dragon)
So peoples...my enthusiam is dampened, but not extringuished..
TELL ME that the girly Miata has no spare tire and no trunk either..
(Not that I would get one anyway)
TELL ME that the Z4 is just as impractical and cost way more anyway.
(not that I would get one, I'm the wrong sexual orientation)
I need help...drugs...I need the Who Cares attitude of my youth...I ..
HELP!!

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
virtualdean said:
(Miatas dont, they are a girly car)
Only to people that think big HP numbers will mask their lack of driver skill.

If you can't go fast with 90hp, 900hp won't help you.;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
virtualdean said:
from the Solstice!
Its a day tripping car (heavy sigh)...
I came to the same conclusion. No way that it could handle my wife's luggage for a weekend in Chicago. I bought a 944 Turbo instead.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
When in Rome...

Why not an Alpha, at least you should be able to get it serviced in Italy.

Get the Solstice when you are back in the USA. Some of us are considering trailers, luggage racks, etc. to turn the day tripper into a GT. Of course a fixed roof version might have more luggage space. My wife and I have also been thinking about custom garmet bags that "hang" behind the seat assuming the seat is moved forward, at least on my wife's side.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Your concerns have been echoed by countless people a number of times! All are valid. The best I could respond with is that with some creative packaging, you may be able to get enough stuff in the car for a weekend excursion. If flats were a really big concern, you may also want to look into getting the regular tires on the Sol replaced with a set of run flats. They will likely ride harder, but you may be willing to put up with that for the increased peace of mind when your away from civilization.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
This is why you won't see a ton of Soltices on the road. It will be great to drive a car that won't ever blend in with the rest of traffic.
A poor man's Porshe or a Scion is something that people won't even notice.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Frankly, I'd buy a used Italian sports car locally, something not too expensive, then get a Sol when you return stateside. The $2700 will cover your depreciation on the used Eurocar (ot at least a lot of it), and you might even get a chance to drive something that you wouldn't get the opportunity to own. Servicing the car will be a lot easier if you buy a european model. The Solstice will still be here when you get back.

And (without getting political about it) thank you to you & any other members serving in the military for your service to our country. It doesn't matter if we support the policies of the current administration or not (I don't). You folks are doing your job, and I for one, appreciate it.

·
Registered
305 Posts
My rule of thumb is take half as much stuff and twice as much $$$'s
when you go on any trip!!!!! :cool:

It will be real tough to go on any trip that requires dress clothes,
but casual wear I think I can get enough in for a day or two, just
have to teach my wife to pack light.

I am sure all of us will come up with creative packing ideas after we
get our cars!!! :yesnod:

·
Registered
403 Posts
I understand your shock at the shipping charges (see my signature, gotta love exchange new car sales), but I'm still full steam ahead on mine. I'll be sure and post pictures next winter of my trips around Europe in case you don't get one and would like to see what you are missing. I may even stop by a base or two in Italy, if you see a Mysterious/Ebony/Polished Solstice next spring it may be me.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
I would echo fortyninenorth and go for something local while over there. Even a rally Lancia, they were the fastest thing through the woods for a time. Fiat Spyder or Alfa-Romeo or Ferrari Dino. Just too bad you can'y bring the newest Euro cars over here when you are done.

·
Registered
288 Posts
virtualdean said:
(Miatas dont, they are a girly car)
LBJay said:
Only to people that think big HP numbers will mask their lack of driver skill.

If you can't go fast with 90hp, 900hp won't help you.;)
HP has nothing to do with it. IMO, the Miata is a girly car because it LOOKS like a girly car. ;)

Flagg

·
Registered
288 Posts
Oh, and for what it's worth, the brand new Miata is definitely a step in the right direction, but it still doesn't hold a candle to the Solstice!!

Flagg

·
Registered
6 Posts
WaitingForBoost said:
Frankly, I'd buy a used Italian sports car locally, something not too expensive, then get a Sol when you return stateside. The $2700 will cover your depreciation on the used Eurocar (ot at least a lot of it), and you might even get a chance to drive something that you wouldn't get the opportunity to own. Servicing the car will be a lot easier if you buy a european model. The Solstice will still be here when you get back.

And (without getting political about it) thank you to you & any other members serving in the military for your service to our country. It doesn't matter if we support the policies of the current administration or not (I don't). You folks are doing your job, and I for one, appreciate it.
Thanks to you for your sentiments. Hearing that from just one person makes it all worthwhile

·
4,592 Posts
wtrwlkr85 said:
Thanks to you for your sentiments. Hearing that from just one person makes it all worthwhile
Well then, I'll second it! Kudos to all persons in the armed forces! They are some of the best people I've ever had a pleasure to know! :patriot:

·
Registered
936 Posts
legion said:
I came to the same conclusion. No way that it could handle my wife's luggage for a weekend in Chicago. I bought a 944 Turbo instead.
I can't belive you people have a problem with the luggage issue. The way I plan to handle that is leave the wife at home.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just smoke a lot of the stuff the mexicans bring across the border and the little issues of a trunk and spare don't matter anymore!!! :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts