Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never pre ordered a car so I was a little unsure about a few things. when you pre order a car does the dealership then send that request to pontiac then they build your car? Or do they just wait for pontiac to send in a car with those specifications?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm sure there are others in the forum that can explain it better. But is what I'm learning as I study this process.

If a dealer has not used up their allocation they will take your order (if allocation is used up they put you on a wait list)
You specify exactly what you want on your order, confirm the price, and leave a deposit... Get it in writing
Pontiac picks up the orders approximately once a week. They build your car to order.

Personally, I'm currently on a wait list with a dealer.

·
Registered
228 Posts
6-8 weeks to get in your hands once the car's order is actually taken. Meaning they issue a vin number and it hits the assembly line

·
5,641 Posts
I will add a couple things to SteveB's answer.

Yes there is usually a weekly process where orders are taken by Pontiac from dealer's order banks. This is done based on an allocation from Pontiac to dealers of certain amounts of cars at certain times. The first round of this for Solstice is scheduled currently for the beginning of June. One factor can sometimes be availability of equipment or colors (For example it may come one of the order periods and Pontiac lists Blue as being unavilable. Dealers would have to fill their slots with colors other then Blue).

Pontiac can also specify model lines that they will accept "sold" orders daily for. In other words, a dealer would not have to wait until the weekly order process to place an order into the system. This could save as much as seven days. The Solstice will not be one of these.

As far as how long does it take them to build a car(Solstice)? It all depends on the dealership's allocation, and when those slots will be available.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Get your MSRP in writing

The time you place your deposit is the perfect time to get an agreement to buy the car at MSRP. After you have given the dealer the deposit, you will not have very much leverage, but if you haven't placed your deposit yet, take a form something like the following with you...

I've posted this a few times before, but it bears a repost...

I discuss this in the following post: Non-EOP thread on Ordering: Be sure to get your MSRP in writing...

Take the following form with you to the dealer BEFORE you give them your deposit.
2006 Pontiac Solstice Deposit Acceptance

In consideration for $500 in deposit to be applied to the purchase price, -dealer-name- agrees to offer (subject to availability) -your-name- a 2006 Pontiac Solstice at MSRP without a dealer or market based price markup. This MSRP price point will apply to a unit purchased through either the Early Order program or a regular order from their dealer's regular allocation.

Signed:

Once you give them your deposit, and you have nothing in writing saying MSRP, you'll be subject to the mood and market pressures of the dealer at the time you can finally place the order for the automatic Solstice. As I have said before, AFTER you have given them your money, they will have almost NO incentive to agree to MSRP without markups.

Now, the standard disclaimer applies, I am not a lawyer. However, this should give you a starting point to get your MSRP agreement in writing.

Best of luck! :)

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Also ask some key questions BEFORE you order

Call around to the dealers BEFORE you go down to place your order. Ask them these questions:
  1. How many units do you have in your first 4 month allocation?
  2. Of those, do you have any which are not already promised to customers?
  3. Can I purchase the car at MSRP without a dealer or market based markup?
If you get affirmative answers to the above, make a note of it, and keep calling.

To get the list of dealers, use the Pontiac.com web site and put in your zip code. If you need to seek dealers further away, you could put the dealer's zip codes at the edge of the circle into the find a dealer interface and spring board further out.

Don't be afraid to call a lot of dealers. If you don't feel comfortable talking to one, then say, "Thanks for your time. It was nice talking to you." and hang up. There ARE good dealers like our very own Conejo148 and Small Dealer. You just have to look a bit. Again, if you get a bad feeling in the pit of your stomach, walk out. It's your money, and you have the power and the choice. Don't ignore your instincts--they're probably right.

For good dealers, consider making it a road trip. You'll need to make two trips, one to place the deposit and check out the dealer in person to see if you don't get that sinking feeling. The second trip, you can rent a car one way back out there, and drive your brand-new Solstice home... Sweet! Christen the car with a road trip.... :cool:

Even if the dealer is a long ways away, you can still use a FAX machine to send the deposit agreement over to him, and ask him if he will sign it when you get there with your deposit. That way, you'll not surprise him, and you'll be better able to gauge how serious the dealer is about offering you a Solstice at MSRP.

Hope this helps. :cool:

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm still not really clear on the whole allocation thing. As I stated in an earlier post I'm on a waiting list. The dealer says I'm #1 on the list and if someone cancels their order then I can place mine. My question is at what point does a dealer get more allocation or able to place orders above the allocation? I noticed in Crimson Avengers post above that an Allocation is for 4 months, does that mean that I have to wait 4 months before I can place the order? I'm assuming that no one's going to cancel their order.

·
5,641 Posts
SteveB said:
I'm still not really clear on the whole allocation thing. As I stated in an earlier post I'm on a waiting list. The dealer says I'm #1 on the list and if someone cancels their order then I can place mine. My question is at what point does a dealer get more allocation or able to place orders above the allocation? I noticed in Crimson Avengers post above that an Allocation is for 4 months, does that mean that I have to wait 4 months before I can place the order? I'm assuming that no one's going to cancel their order.
That is a little confusing. Check with your dealer for clarification and an explaination of where you sit with them.

You can "wait list" a national list for EOP first 1000 Soslstice buyers who didn't make the cut. If someone drops out of the EOP program nationally, the next person on the national "wait list" moves up. A dealer could also "wait list" buyers in their own dealership, if they have orders that more then their initial first four month allocation. But even then, you should still be able to configure an order and have the dealer enter it into the GM system to sit in thier order bank. That way you will be set for the next allocation period, and Pontiac will have a feel for the demand that is out there.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Would any of our supporting dealers mind explaining the process of ordering a car.
I have never done it before and some of the terminology is foreign to me.
I attempted, but did not succeed in obtaining a first 1000 and was placed on the wait list.
My local dealer has a 4 month allocation of six Solsti and since I was first in line for EOP he has made me his first regular allocation order (mysterious/ebony) but this is where I lose track of how this works.
He has submitted the order but as of yet GM has not told him that he has "earned" an order for the Solstice.
I assume this means that GM has not confirmed that they will build the vehicle for him/me as of yet.
He told me that he and I will talk every Thursday afternoon because that is the day that orders are "earned" (or not).
Am I on the right track and should I be doing anything else? :willy:

I just found a new thread that is the same basic topic as my above question. Maybe a nice moderator could move my thread into the other one or just give me a nice :brentil: ;)

·
5,641 Posts
Here is a quick description I have used before:

"Order Cycle" is a process that runs from Wednesday to Tuesday with several steps. On Wednesday we see order constraints (things not avaialble or available in limted quanities) and estimated build weeks. On Thursday (it really starts) we see how many of each carline and contraints we are available to order. We can also request additional if they are available. We adjust our order banks to meet these numbers or place additional orders as required. We assign prority numbers to our orders. This has to be completed by Saturday. The system does its magic on Sunday and Monday. On Tuesday we see what orders we received and have the rest of the day to make any new changes within the constraints.

Pontiac'c current schedule calls for them to show the dealers their allocations by month on May 18th. June 2nd is the first scheduled "order cycle" for the Solstice. That is when the delaer will see if they "earned" an order for that week. Also by then they should have the allocation broken down into weeks for the first month number.

So it looks like you and your dealer will not have much to talk about on Thursdays for the month of May.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Great explaination, making a sticky for others to see.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm not included in the EOP. I had first discussion with the dealer yesterday. I'm purchasing through UBS United Buying Service that basically gets me the car for $100 over wholesale. In fact I didn't even call the dealer, the dealer called me as soon as he found out from UBS. I am on the waitlist at his dealership. When I asked him about allocation he said I am #1 on his waitlist if someone drops out.

So I'm thinking he is confusing EOP with ordering against allocation Or quite possibly he is jerkin' me around because he wants MSRP for all of his allocation.

·
Premium Member
5,849 Posts
"Gonna buy a fast car, put on my Lead boots and take a long, long, drive..." John Entwistle (The Who) - skidpad
"I may end up spending all my money, but I'll still be alive..." Couldn't help it. :lol:

My local dealer has a 4 month allocation of six Solsti and since I was first in line for EOP he has made me his first regular allocation order (mysterious/ebony) but this is where I lose track of how this works.
He has submitted the order but as of yet GM has not told him that he has "earned" an order for the Solstice.
I assume this means that GM has not confirmed that they will build the vehicle for him/me as of yet.
He told me that he and I will talk every Thursday afternoon because that is the day that orders are "earned" (or not).
So, if the dealer already has an allocation number (say 5) for the Solstice, where would the buyer be within this system that you described? Is the 'earned' part of it contingent upon how many Pontiacs the dealer has been selling?

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
SteveB said:
I'm not included in the EOP. I had first discussion with the dealer yesterday. I'm purchasing through UBS United Buying Service that basically gets me the car for $100 over wholesale. In fact I didn't even call the dealer, the dealer called me as soon as he found out from UBS. I am on the waitlist at his dealership. When I asked him about allocation he said I am #1 on his waitlist if someone drops out.

So I'm thinking he is confusing EOP with ordering against allocation Or quite possibly he is jerkin' me around because he wants MSRP for all of his allocation.
Or what he means is your #1 on his post 4 month allocation. If someone on his current 4 month allocation drops out then you get a car in that allocation.

·
Registered
89 Posts
official pricing

My dealer has told me that he can't place the order I gave him as they have not received official pricing from GM.
We had agreed (not in writing) on the MSRP price when I put down my deposit. I am now wondering if he is going to try and pull a switcharoo.

:cuss:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yes that is what he's telling me. But if he enters my order now (instead of putting me on his wait list) that will put in the second allocation. If I'm in the second allocation and someone drops from the first allocation does the system automatically bump me up to the First allocation? If the answer is yes, then what is the purpose of his wait list?

Unless he cannot enter orders into his system beyond the first allocation, but it sounds like SmallDealer is saying that he can. So it sounds like the real question is If I'm in the second allocation and someone drops from the first allocation does the system automatically bump me up to the First allocation?

·
Registered
350 Posts
JERRYM said:
My dealer has told me that he can't place the order I gave him as they have not received official pricing from GM.
We had agreed (not in writing) on the MSRP price when I put down my deposit. I am now wondering if he is going to try and pull a switcharoo.

:cuss:
I had the same problem with my dealer. It turns out that the dealer was being honest, but just didn't know the pricing on the options.

As it turned out there are two methods of getting the pricing. One is a program that runs on their computer and the other is through the web. The program on the computer didn't have the pricing listed, but the web did. .

Go in with a print out from cars.com, edmunds.com, etc and show him that the prices have been released. They try to get him to look more carefully. It worked for me anyway

·
5,641 Posts
JERRYM said:
Pricing has been available to dealers since March 23rd. In fact in case a dealer didn't see the EOP order program broadcast (where it was mentioned), a seperate message went out sometime in April. Dealers just have a hard time finding the info. Tell them to look on the first page of the dealer web portal, near the middle, where it is hidden under the name "GM Pricing". At least it is on my openning page. If it is not there, then their site security coordinator needs to give them access to it.

The reason dealers do not think the pricing is out, is that it hasn't been released in our ordering tool, "AutoBook", as of yet.

·
5,641 Posts
SteveB said:
Yes that is what he's telling me. But if he enters my order now (instead of putting me on his wait list) that will put in the second allocation. If I'm in the second allocation and someone drops from the first allocation does the system automatically bump me up to the First allocation? If the answer is yes, then what is the purpose of his wait list?

Unless he cannot enter orders into his system beyond the first allocation, but it sounds like SmallDealer is saying that he can. So it sounds like the real question is If I'm in the second allocation and someone drops from the first allocation does the system automatically bump me up to the First allocation?
Dealers can prioritize orders in their order bank. For example say a dealer has an allocation for 4 Solstices during the first fourth months. Buyer 5 comes in. He can place the order in the system, but put it 5th in line by priority. When it comes time for Pontiac to take an order from the dealer, they will take the highest priority buildable order. If the dealer cancels an order, guy5 goes from 5th to 4th on the dealer's priority list.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts