Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Help needed!

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  SolCal 
#1 ·
Hello ALL! I have four questions/problems I'm trying to answer/solve...1) Has anyone had and successfully solved a "Service Airbag" message? 2) Has anyone had and successfully solved a repeated "Key Fob Battery Low" message? Before you answer, I have already replaced the battery three times (and tested the "old" battery which read fine.) in a month. 3) Has anyone used an effective heavy duty convertible top cleaner? I can't get my convertible top "clean." It seems to have a "waxy" coating on it that won't wash away but loves to collect dust, dirt and pollen. I have tried three reputable top cleaners with no luck (Turtle Wax, Mothers, and 303). Lastly 4)
Has anyone experienced and solved intermittent HVAC temp issues? There is a clicking coming from inside the driver's side dash and the temp randomly gets stuck on hot or cold regardless of position and fan settings. There are two "actuator" parts: one appears to have a "male" gear and the other a "female" gear, both seem to have the same shape. Air Conditioning Vacuum Actuator, Part Number: 10397102 and Temperature Mode Valve Actuator Assembly, Part Number: 10397365., each about $25 new from GM. I can also get a used Climate control panel for about $75, but don't want to just throw parts at the issue.
I look forward to some insightful answers from the group. I have already scoured the Solstice forums but have not found conclusive answers.
2006-2010 GM Temperature Mode Valve Actuator Assembly 10397365 | GMPartsDirect.com

gmpartsdirect.com
2006-2010 GM Temperature Mode Valve Actuator Assembly 10397365 | GMPartsDirect.com
2006-2010 GM part # 10397365 - Temperature Mode Valve Actuator Assembly

See less See more
#2 ·
Well 1) the Service Airbag issue is very well known and reported here. There is a recall to replace the passenger seat sensor (as long as your car has not already had the recall performed).
2) Not sure about this one. The battery contact tabs can come loose (bad solder joint) but that usually results in a dead remote. Could be intermittent, I guess(?)
3) Not sure what your coating is. Maybe try Simple Green, or even rubbing alcohol?
4) Sounds like the actuators to me. Again, there are many posts/threads on this, with correct part numbers, etc.

For 1) you can read through this thread on the tracing of the issue and the efforts that went into getting the recall by GM: Passenger Airbag Sensor

#3 ·
Aa for the low battery in the key fob, do you have more than one fob? I just had this happen to me in our SUV about a year ago. Said my battery was low so I replaced it. About a week later it said my battery was low again - thought I just got a poor battery so bought another one and replaced it. A week later it got the message again.

That's when I realized it was my WIFE'S fob that was low. I drive it daily and the wife leaves her fob in her purse. When she would come along for a weekend drive, I'd get the low battery warning again!

#4 ·
Can you provide a picture of your top?

There is a known issue with tops that are exposed long term to very high heat and sun - like Phoenix - where the glue holding the layers of the top together can get soft and penetrate the surface of the outer canvas. This generally shows up as gray colored stained areas toward the rear and moving forward. If this is your problem then there is no recognized solution for removing the stain

If you have a top coat that someone has applied to the canvas that is causing the issue, then there may be a chance to address it with the right solvent that will remove it without damaging the canvas.

A picture would help.

#5 ·
It would be worth checking the condition of the battery contacts to eliminate bad solder joints there. Also, it is possible that the fob is "activating" frequently due to handling or because the buttons are shorting out. In the mode of looking for less likely failure modes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.