Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have started to install my new WERKS intercooler. I removed the tape from the pipe openings and I looked inside and the tube have fine metal shaving all in it. What should I do to get it out?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I would say to get an air compressor and go to town on it. blow it all out with some high pressure air.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
You should also contact WERKS and make them aware of the issue.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
A few weeks ago I received the same product and felt a slight oily film inside the pipes, wiped out the inside and did not notice any filings. I contacted them about the loose schreded packing material, none was in the IC yet had to clean from the cooling fins.

The fitment of the intercooler is very good. It does take some patience to reposition all the stock panels and put things back together. The throotle response is nice and even with no lag and climbs easily through the full band. Boost can easily hit 25 PSI and Zero to 60MPH under 5 sec.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited by Moderator)
I was able to clean it out. Installed in about 5 hours. I did run into a small problem, the mounting holes were off and had to widen them. I got everything put back. Got to work on the fit near the marker light. But I must say the throttle response is very impressive.

·
Registered
847 Posts
the intercooler helps acceleration? thats good to know :) im looking for upgrades that help ...say my 20mph to 80mph time...right now I have a tune and have a solo hf cat that should be here in 2 days!

·
Registered
167 Posts
the cat helps on the midrange. i like the added sound also. seems like it took a day or two of driving to open up a little on the sound.

·
Registered
432 Posts
How does an intercooler help with throttle response and low end acceleration? That doesn't really make sense, in fact it could possibly hurt it with the stock turbo because it will take longer to ramp up the boost pressure in a larger intercooler with our tiny turbo. The only way this possibly makes sense would be if the stock intercooler air was drastically warmer like to the point of where the oem unit was not working correctly, And considering it is still a cool temp outside I find that idea hard to believe. So I would ask is this something you have tested 0-60 times or is this your butt dyno giving you these results?

BTW don't get me wrong it makes sense with a bigger turbo or even with the stock turbo on the higher end of acceleration but out the hole and 0-60?

·
Super Moderator
16,393 Posts
I am also interested about the change in performance. My experience was with the Dejon IC. I put mine on early before we knew about the way the ECM manages torque and we assumed that there would be an obvious improvement. I don’t remember any mention of an actual increase in power. The discussion centered around reducing power loss as a result of heat soaking the stock IC.

By the time we found out about how the ECM managed to a fixed torque value, it was close to the GMPP availability date and all discussion focused on how that would change our lives.

Since then I have I think only seen one member who claimed that the addition of a larger IC actually improved performance in street use.

I was happy with my Dejon IC and would probably have bought it in any case but it was a bit harder to justify after the fact as more info came out in the mid-years, 08 and 09.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I am also interested about the change in performance. My experience was with the Dejon IC. I put mine on early before we knew about the way the ECM manages torque and we assumed that there would be an obvious improvement. I don’t remember any mention of an actual increase in power. The discussion centered around reducing power loss as a result of heat soaking the stock IC.

By the time we found out about how the ECM managed to a fixed torque value, it was close to the GMPP availability date and all discussion focused on how that would change our lives.

Since then I have I think only seen one member who claimed that the addition of a larger IC actually improved performance in street use.

I was happy with my Dejon IC and would probably have bought it in any case but it was a bit harder to justify after the fact as more info came out in the mid-years, 08 and 09.

I'm about to swap out mine with the Hahn part, but not expecting any gains at all for street use. im looking at preventing a stock IC swell and blowout with the addition of a soon to be WR-2 werks turbo upgrade.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Factory IC is good for 36psi+ and heat soak will only be an issue in very hot weather or track use.

That being said I just put my Dejon back on because the fins on the factory needed straightening and the Dejon looks better. I've only tested it to 29psi... I'll let y'all know if it doesnt like 36psi.

I would only recommend an aftermarket FMIC for track use (big turbo cars may see a small benefit) and for bling...

The same goes for the piping.

--Christian

·
Registered
432 Posts
Good for 36psi for what length of time? I ask this because my car is just a GMPP tune and I peak 19psi sometimes blipping 20psi yet my car is on it's 3rd stock intercooler (3rd one was installed at 68,000 miles or so) car currently has 74,000 on it. My car is soon out of warranty so when this one eventually fails I will go aftermarket, so eventually (if I keep the car that long) I will go aftermarket but only for the reliability.

Factory IC is good for 36psi+ and heat soak will only be an issue in very hot weather or track use.

That being said I just put my Dejon back on because the fins on the factory needed straightening and the Dejon looks better. I've only tested it to 29psi... I'll let y'all know if it doesnt like 36psi.

I would only recommend an aftermarket FMIC for track use (big turbo cars may see a small benefit) and for bling...

The same goes for the piping.

--Christian

·
Registered
847 Posts
So for someone not planning on any track use, and just wanting more acceleration for street use...it shouldn't be at the top of the list? I've done a tune and getting solos hf cat on in 2 days...what else would I benefit from?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Jesse - If you are looking for just pure straight line speed your next step would be a bigger turbo and a retune.

Personally I would start working on the GXP's shortcomings (and there are plenty of those)
The biggest corner cutting by GM on this car is the stock suspension, If you haven't already I would install the 3 DDM braces (they make a huge diff).
The second biggest corner GM cut on this car was the brakes, Yes it is nice to accelerate fast but it is scary as hell when you hit the brakes in this car and have to cross your fingers! What do you do here depends on your budget as you can drop a few hundred dollars to a few thousand but anything you do would make it worlds better.
If you have already addressed those two things then I would go back to speed, without addressing those two major issues I wouldn't F with speed beyond what you have done.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Good for 36psi for what length of time? I ask this because my car is just a GMPP tune and I peak 19psi sometimes blipping 20psi yet my car is on it's 3rd stock intercooler (3rd one was installed at 68,000 miles or so) car currently has 74,000 on it. My car is soon out of warranty so when this one eventually fails I will go aftermarket, so eventually (if I keep the car that long) I will go aftermarket but only for the reliability.
Bingo!!!!

I am on my 3rd OEM IC as well. First one went Pregnant Pig Route, second one blew and end tank seam on the passenger side.

And the OEM has a known pressure drop of about 1-2 PSI across the IC. Which results in the ECM having to command more turbo speed to achieve the desired MAP pressures at the intake. If there is a quicker spool time and more low end torque resulting from installation of an aftermarket IC: Then this would be the reason for it.

I plan on installing my Werks Street IC sometime this spring. It will be interesting if I notice any performance difference. Yes, I know the butt dyno is extremely subjective. But considering I have been driving performance cars all my life, and now have over 4 years on my GMPP tuned Redline: I am fairly confident that I can observe behavior changes, if there are any to notice.

·
Registered
847 Posts
That sounds intelligent, I really didn't think of that much...I honestly am thinking my next will be the backbone, as I believe members have recommended to put that one on first (of the 3) ...u mentioned a bigger turbo, which I was thinking would be nice (in the future) ...but I also heard it creates a bigger turbo lag...would a bigger turbo beat a smaller turbo in a 20mph to 80mph acceleration? I really don't know much about cars, but I enjoy learning

·
Registered
167 Posts
so what are the telltale signs that your stock IC has busted a seam?

·
Registered
432 Posts
That sounds intelligent, I really didn't think of that much...I honestly am thinking my next will be the backbone, as I believe members have recommended to put that one on first (of the 3) ...u mentioned a bigger turbo, which I was thinking would be nice (in the future) ...but I also heard it creates a bigger turbo lag...would a bigger turbo beat a smaller turbo in a 20mph to 80mph acceleration? I really don't know much about cars, but I enjoy learning
yes a bigger turbo takes more time to spool up which is referred to as turbo lag, in general a smaller turbo will not provide as much boost pressure but will spool quicker. Keep in mind there are also other factors here such as the size of the pipes and the distance of the pipes it has to fill up with air before it creates any pressure.

·
Registered
432 Posts
so what are the telltale signs that your stock IC has busted a seam?
The first time it happened I didn't own my car as I am the second owner, but the last time my intercooler died I got a CEL and car went to limp mode producing no boost. After the monkeys at the dealership had it for two weeks and tried a bunch of things they replaced the intercooler and fixed the issue, and damaged the hood of the car by leaving the tbolt clamp on the turbo facing up. GM customer service is a mess and in a way I will be happy when my warranty is up because my car will never see a dealership service monkey again.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts