Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've had my Solstice (Black 2007 GXP) for a few years now and I would like to get some new tires and wheels for her but this is the first time I've ever bought aftermarket wheels/tires for a vehicle so I don't really know much about it and could use a little help.

My car is pretty much bone stock except for a trifecta tune and mud flaps. I would like to lower the car in the future, so I was wondering if the setup below would work and what the lowest I could go with the vehicle would be? Thanks in advance for any insight and advice/suggestions.

/R,
NoBlemish

The tires I was looking at are the Riken Raptors.
245/45-18 RIKEN Riken RAPTOR Z 96W

The wheels I've picked out are 8x18 ETA BETA Jofiel X Black.

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
The amount of lowering is dependent on the set up you choose; lowering springs, coilovers, and airbag. With lowering springs what you get is what you get. Coilovers have the ability to lower more than lowering springs. And an airbag suspension literally has the ability to allow the frame of the vehicle to sit on the ground. So what wheel offset/tires set-up may work with lowering springs may not be advised for airbag suspension.

So first decide what method you want to use to lower and the forum can better advise on wheel (offsets)/tires.

BTW, profile pics may be nice to look at but rather useless when attempting to give a representation of how close the tires are too the wheel wells. 3/4 rear (or front) to centered are better.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
The information you posted was a good start but the final bit to verify how it will fit is the wheel itself. 18x8, +55 offset is our stock configuration (assuming that wheel is in our 5x110 bolt pattern). If the offset is different you'll want to measure how it would fit before purchase. Something like an offset calculator can give you a visual representation if you're not familiar and then you go outside and play with a ruler.

There are all sorts of lowering threads on this board that'll translate directly to your plan since you're staying with the stock dimensions and they can give you an idea of what the various options look like. 18x8 +55 on an ~2" (Eibach Sportline springs) drop fits nicely with a little trimming (or removal in my case) of the air damn up front. The front is running about -2.3 degrees of camber which does tilt the wheel a little in at the top and I get really close to the plastic extrusions in the rear wheel wells with new tires but I think that has a lot to do with my tired shocks.
http://i.imgur.com/ndbs4.jpg?3
http://i.imgur.com/acPpN.jpg

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
OP, do you have any idea of the OS, because that is what makes or breaks the wheels fitting on the car.

I remember the unfortunate disaster with Brendand. Based on the complete lack of customer service that Brendand got, I wouldn't touch that manufacturer of wheels with a ten foot pole. I'd only slightly reconsider if a relatively local distributor with some history can be used and held accountable.

If you want to be safe and pay a reasonable price, go to tire rack and find something 18X8 for the car with near stock offset. There is something to be said for the safe option, especially if your not taking the time to look at OS, etc.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
I remember the unfortunate disaster with Brendand.
"Disaster" is a pretty big overstatement. I know Brendan well enough to know he was dissapointed with the fit, but not so much that he couldn't live with it. It's true that a buyer should know the offset and provide that info when ordering. Brendan did and they came to him wrong, so they stick out ever so slightly.

Hopefully the supplier knows of the fit and has taken measures to improve the specs for Kappas.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
"Disaster" is a pretty big overstatement. I know Brendan well enough to know he was dissapointed with the fit, but not so much that he couldn't live with it. It's true that a buyer should know the offset and provide that info when ordering. Brendan did and they came to him wrong, so they stick out ever so slightly.
Whatever. I never said it was Brendan's fault. From Brendan's own thread:
  • he got the wrong size rims, different from his order,
  • the rims also had the wrong offset for the sol, the manufacturer had it wrong
  • the tires were now too large for the wrong rim, because manufacturer and distributor screwed up
  • lowering the car may be an issue now with the wrong rim OS and isn't worth trying
  • manufacturer and distributor stopped all communication and didn't fix a thing. Left him in the lurch

I agree with Brendan's quote on his thread, it sucks. That is a disaster in my books. I guess not in yours. At least I'm entitled to my opinion.

Hopefully the supplier knows of the fit and has taken measures to improve the specs for Kappas.
Hope.............. And of top of that give money to a company that screwed up with a forum buyer and then walked away from him with no help or fix.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi guys/gals,

Thanks for all your responses and info. My plan is to lower the car with the Eibach Pro-kit lowering springs and put new wheels on. I really do not like the big gap between the wheels and the frame on my stock Solstice. The pictures I posted are ideally what I'm shooting for as far as looks go. I'm sorry to hear what brendand went through but hopefully everything has worked out for him, and hopefully the manufacturer has gotten things straight because they really are nice looking wheels for our cars.

These are the specs for the wheels from what I have gathered from various sources, but I've also sent the company an email requesting more info on them just to verify.
8.00 x 19 5x110 73.06 ET35 Jofiel (Black) Black
9.00 x 19 5x110 73.06 ET35 Jofiel (Black) Black
SOURCE #1
SOURCE #2

The specs for the Solstice in the picture from my original post is below along with specs for this Opel GT.

Opel GT
Etabeta Jofiel X-Black Alloy Wheels
front 9.0 x 19 "with 245/40/19
rear 9.0 x 19 "with 275/35/19
H & R lowering springs

Solstice
Etabeta Jofiel X-Black Alloy Wheels
front 8.0 x 19 "with 245/40/19
rear 9.0 x 19 "with 275/35/19
Eibach Lowering Springs

Again, thanks for the help with this and it's greatly appreciated.:grouphug:

/R,
NoBlemish

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
These are the specs for the wheels from what I have gathered from various sources, but I've also sent the company an email requesting more info on them just to verify.
8.00 x 19 5x110 73.06 ET35 Jofiel (Black) Black
9.00 x 19 5x110 73.06 ET35 Jofiel (Black) Black
SOURCE #1
SOURCE #2
ET35 is still the wrong offset for the car (same as what Brendan received). OEM is ET55. Also if one gets a 9 inch wide wheel at ET35 it will stick out another 1/2 inch more than Brendan's car did with the 8 inch wheels. IMO, the 9" will stick out too far.

As for the 8 inch wheel at ET35, Brendan is running them, but not lowered like you want. There are other +35 OS wheels that people are using on the car. Hopefully they can provide feedback on car lowering with them, because it is outside the stock dimensions idkfa noted.

It will be interesting to hear what info you get from your email.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The information you posted was a good start but the final bit to verify how it will fit is the wheel itself. 18x8, +55 offset is our stock configuration (assuming that wheel is in our 5x110 bolt pattern). If the offset is different you'll want to measure how it would fit before purchase. Something like an offset calculator can give you a visual representation if you're not familiar and then you go outside and play with a ruler.

There are all sorts of lowering threads on this board that'll translate directly to your plan since you're staying with the stock dimensions and they can give you an idea of what the various options look like. 18x8 +55 on an ~2" (Eibach Sportline springs) drop fits nicely with a little trimming (or removal in my case) of the air damn up front. The front is running about -2.3 degrees of camber which does tilt the wheel a little in at the top and I get really close to the plastic extrusions in the rear wheel wells with new tires but I think that has a lot to do with my tired shocks.
http://i.imgur.com/ndbs4.jpg?3
http://i.imgur.com/acPpN.jpg
Nice car idkfa:thumbs: I especially like the hardtop. How do you like your Sportline springs? I live up on the Eastern Shore just north of you and the roads aren't the greatest around here so I don't think I want to go that low. I've already scrapped the air scoop under the car in a few places on stock setup, but I'm hoping the pro-kit wont be too bad.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ET35 is still the wrong offset for the car (same as what Brendan received). OEM is ET55. Also if one gets a 9 inch wide wheel at ET35 it will stick out another 1/2 inch more than Brendan's car did with the 8 inch wheels. IMO, the 9" will stick out too far.

As for the 8 inch wheel at ET35, Brendan is working with them, but not lowered like you want. There are other +35 OS wheels that people are using on the car. Hopefully they can provide feedback on car lowering with them, because it is outside the stock dimensions idkfa noted.
Bummer:( Does anyone have pictures of Brendan's car saved? The pictures in his thread don't show up for me. I'm going to assume that the pictures I've posted of the Solstice and Opel GT have the same offset as Brendan's car, and if so I really don't think it looks bad at all.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I'm going to try and get my photos back up. Since Apple doesn't do the MobileMe gallery anymore I have to find another place to host them.

As far as my rims are concerned, it's oddly enough my favourite part of my car. I know they stick out a bit too much, but as King-Oka said to me once, "it gives your car a meaner wider stance" (paraphrased). And I actually like it now. I suppose I could lower it a bit, but would definitely need to stiffen the shocks to achieve that.

They did give me the 8" when I ordered the 9". I suppose that's a good thing since they would stick out even more perhaps. They sent me a website with some photos of another Solstice which had those wheels on them. I think they were the white ones and they fit really nice. But that website seems to be down now.

I really like the Hankook V12 tires. Way better than stock and actually smoothed out the ride some.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Here's an email I once received from the manufacturer. He commented about that photo of the Solstice with the Eta Beta wheels above:

hi Brendan,

my customer called me and he said that wheels in that pictures
are 8x19 et 35 with tyre 245/40/19 sport maxx tyres

car in that pictures has lower spring and camber updated (after put lower spring you must to do this job) maybe this job make the tyre stay more inside the top part of the tyre

i provide you 8x19 cause 9x19 will be out of fender 1/2 inch more than your actual situation
Spelling and grammar mistakes are his :)

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Brendan - here's a pic of those awesome wheels, showing the amount they stick out.

NoBlemish - for what its worth, my tires protrude a tad beyond the fenderwell as well. 9" will do that with most any offset. Nothing like the L60's I had on my '73 Firebird Formula tho. Those babys were at least 2" outboard of the fenders.

·
Registered
548 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I'm going to try and get my photos back up. Since Apple doesn't do the MobileMe gallery anymore I have to find another place to host them.
Great stuff. Your wheel specs and and pics will definitely add to the community knowledge base.

As far as my rims are concerned, it's oddly enough my favourite part of my car. I know they stick out a bit too much
I wouldn't say it is odd, they are very nice wheels. It is a very personal choice on how much a tire extends out as for looks. The pic oka provided looks pretty good to me with stock ride height, although I'd ditch the flaps in lieu of protective film. Still, that is a personal choice too.

I suppose I could lower it a bit, but would definitely need to stiffen the shocks to achieve that.
I'd be careful. I can't remember the pics of your set up, but that last thing a person wants to do it hit their 1/4 panel and chip paint. I have high end KW V3 suspension on my car with a mild drop and aggressive alignment (and with higher compression settings). It looks great, but still on Canada roads the car will run the suspension through its travel on pot holes. The key is to make sure the wheel/tire cannot ever contact the 1/4 panel lip. Do lots of measurements and checks before you decide to try lowering, and if so let us know how it works.

They did give me the 8" when I ordered the 9". I suppose that's a good thing since they would stick out even more perhaps.
Ya, crunching the #'s now, with the 35 OS you would have been out another 1/2 inch from your current wheels. They screwed up on both the width and the OS, but you were lucky you got the narrow wheels because of that, strangely enough.

Here's an email I once received from the manufacturer. He commented about that photo of the Solstice with the Eta Beta wheels above:
The pics pasted by noblemish look really close to hitting the 1/4 panel upon pot-hole suspension movement. Until someone can definitely say it won't hit, I'd be very careful.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here is an email back from the company.

Dear NoBlemish,
which is your country & po box?
so we can make an offer with transport cost

setup for you car will be this
jofiel 8x19 et 35 front
jofiel 9x19 et 45 rear

note
eibach kit is a good solution cause also the black solstice is lowered

cordiali saluti / best regards

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Forum discussion and experience has noted that ET50 is the best compromise offset for the car with 18X9 or 19X9 wheels. The tires won't rub on the inside of the rear wheel well while still trying to prevent the tires from sticking out from the car. A colleague here has told me it won't hit the fender either, even on a lowered car.

I'm no fan of staggered wheels. For optimal handling the car came with equal tire footprints front and rear and that should be maintained. Having AXd, the car really needs as much tire up front as possible. Plus it is unnecessary to stagger since 9 inch wheels actually fit easier on the front of the car than the rear. To each their own though.

So NoBlemish, the 45ET are very close to the 50ET spec. Only 5 mm out further.

I tried to calculate the company specs above.

The 19X8 ET35 will stick out 20 mm more (~0.8 inch) than stock.

The 19X9 ET45 will stick out 22.5 mm more (~0.87 inch) than stock.

The confirmed working spec of 9 inch ET50 will stick out 17.5 mm more than stock.

Hope the info helps. You can try to do some measuring.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
How about some Enkei wheels? LS5 Black with chrome studs. My car is also lowered. These are 20s, non-staggered. They fit perfect with no rubbing issues. This will also allow you to still rotate your wheels front to back. If you go with a staggered set up, you will not be able to rotate the wheels and will wind up going through tires fast.

OR THESE

·
Registered
548 Posts
Those are very nice wheels, but I still haven't seen any wheels I like more than the Eta Beta wheels. There's just something about that swirl effect with the black and silver that I love.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts