Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I placed my order back in April and was #10 on my dealers list. I called yesterday and now I am #12. When I pointed out I started at 10 he basically told me if you don't like it come pick up your deposit.:brentil: My current car cannot make it until January so waiting is not an option. I found a seller on e-bay with a first 1,000 and have come to reasonable terms with him. BUT....I have never bought a car off ebay before. What should I watch out for? Is it safe? What type of documents should I require from him before I seal the deal? Please help!!! THANK YOU!!

·
Registered
305 Posts
What type of deposit do they want (1st question).
Give as little as possible and use paypal if possible.

Transfer no money other than a small deposit prior to seeing and getting the car. Make sure your money is not easily stolen when picking up the car.
A bank check to a business or person not cash!!!!

Be careful most people who get ripped off send money ahead of getting the product. I would try and work a deal with the dealership the car is coming into
to do the xfer of the car and have you pay them the cost of the car directly.

With an EOP car it must go to the person who ordered it first.

Talk to a lawyer/banker first is a good idea.

Later!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Broker

Doesn't ebay have some kind of Broker program?

·
Registered
383 Posts
PrincessDeanna said:
A deposit of $500 is required and the rest is due when car arrives at dealer.
A good ??? would be ..are they a member of this forum and if so...what is their handle. While this will not guarantee a safe transaction...it might shed some light on the person and their intentions. Their was one long time member who put his on eBay and did not sell because of non payment by the high bidders. So if they are a long time member on here...then it is probably true they are a EOP purchaser. Still scary proposition though. Good Luck.

·
Registered
184 Posts
service

they have an escrow service that holds the payment until the item can be approved and accepted by the buyer. If you go to Ebay and click on the right hand side "buying and paying safely" link and then the "benefits and risks of different payment methods" you will find information on this.

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Good experiences with ebay

I have made a lot of purchases on ebay, up to $1000. Never had a problem until recently. Ironically, in buying a Solstice Apprentice brochure.

Read everything on the ebay site, the escrow service is probably a good idea. However if you make a deal with the person "outside" of ebay, all the safeguards associated with ebay are gone.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Fortyninenorth said:
I have made a lot of purchases on ebay, up to $1000. Never had a problem until recently. Ironically, in buying a Solstice Apprentice brochure.

Read everything on the ebay site, the escrow service is probably a good idea. However if you make a deal with the person "outside" of ebay, all the safeguards associated with ebay are gone.
Just curious..what was their ID on ebay? I just bought one and havent heard from the person yet.

·
Registered
108 Posts
PrincessDeanna said:
I placed my order back in April and was #10 on my dealers list. I called yesterday and now I am #12. When I pointed out I started at 10 he basically told me if you don't like it come pick up your deposit.:brentil: My current car cannot make it until January so waiting is not an option.
If you put a deposit down then I'd say you have a verbal contract for whatever # the dealer told you they were giving you. Of course if you didn't discuss price he could just say, fine you get #10 but it's $20k over MSRP. I personally would not just drop the issue, scum like this give dealers a bad name.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Princess Deanna is a friend of mine, so naturally I care whether she get's this car or not. My husband said that she might want to call GM Headquarters and tell them the situation. Does anyone think that it will do any good to do that? If so, can someone please post the number, I can't find it. Princessdeanna and I are at the same dealership and so far I have been treated like gold, I am very upset to hear about this. As a customer, I will be telling the manager when I speak to him on Friday. Thank you all for helping her with her question's, she is a sweetie.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Is this the person in Idaho selling the car on eBay? If so they are also a member of this forum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mceb said:
Is this the person in Idaho selling the car on eBay? If so they are also a member of this forum.

The seller is in South Dakota and is not a member of the forum. His order was picked up on July 20th but does not have a VIN yet. Does that sound normal?

Thanks again for all your help!!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hmmm....why don't you ask him to fax you a VOM report (VOM # w/description of the order) for the car and it wouldn't hurt to get the confirmation number that he got when the dealer registered after the Apprentice on Solstice1000.com.

I wouldn't call the Program HQ...you run the risk of them canceling his order and it going to one of the waitlisted.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Ebay Info.......

I've been a buyer and seller on ebay since 1997 (don't think many people can state that). I've successfully sold 20 or more vehicles on ebay, here's my advice: Don't send any money in advance, a true seller will work with you to make sure you are very comfortable in the transaction. Have seller send copies of his/ her drivers license, personal references and business references. This will allow you to complete your own personal investigation on the seller. Request copies of the Vehicle order info. These are just a few things to get the ball rolling. Feel free to email me personally if you need additional info on dealing with sellers on ebay! ([email protected]) The best sellers are the ones that will follow these simple easy instructions!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am selling one of the Solstice I have on order. I have it on ebay now. I too have been trying to figure out the best way to number one: give the prospective buyer piece of mind and two: not get stuck having to re-sell the car again due to someone not having any intention on carrying out the transaction. If someone knows a fair way of doing this please advise. Anyone who is not willing to give the order number, dealership's name,address, and salesman's name is probably a scam artist. I am also suprised that there are about 3 on ebay that are in different parts of the country but the ads look almost exactly the same. I suppose they could have cut and pasted the original ad and if that is the case I will be the first to apoligize for any accusations.
Jason

·
5,641 Posts
PrincessDeanna said:
The seller is in South Dakota and is not a member of the forum. His order was picked up on July 20th but does not have a VIN yet. Does that sound normal?

Thanks again for all your help!!!
On the site here, the term "pick up" is used in place of the GM term "preferenced". This is when an order goes from the dealer order pool/bank to the GM system. All EOP 1000 First 1000 Exclusive Order Solstices were "picked up" in May around the week of the 23rd, I believe. Try to find out what the "seller" means by "picked up".

As others have said, also try to get his GM VOMS order number. See if your dealership will check it out to see if it is what the "seller" says.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Princess you have received some good advice. Ebay does have safeguards if you stay within the program. If the deal has been made on the side, I would be very careful. I have bought 6 cars ... one over $25000 on ebay and been ok in all of them. If you start to feel uneasy with the sellers hesistancy to put you at ease... trust your feelings... good luck on your deal. Have never bought the "right to buy" on ebay... does make it scary... but if they have the docs you should be ok.

·
Registered
976 Posts
it is just really upsetting that you guys are all trying to make a whole bunch of money on this car, meanwhile I am going through all the training on the car, preparing for giving a dynamic presentation to my customer, studying up on all this stuff, and Our whole dealership won't make half of the profit of one of you fly by night hoser's selling the car for thousands over sticker. GM won't let me sell one for over sticker, and it ruins the market when you do that anyways!

·
Registered
462 Posts
cadillacricket said:
Our whole dealership won't make half of the profit of one of you fly by night hoser's selling the car for thousands over sticker.
You've got to be kidding! So your saying that your dealership has never sold any cars over MSRP? I think not.

So It's okay for delears to make a profit on a car but not one of us?!!
:cuss:

·
Registered
515 Posts
mcbman said:
You've got to be kidding! So your saying that your dealership has never sold any cars over MSRP? I think not.

So It's okay for delears to make a profit on a car but not one of us?!!
:cuss:
:agree:
Not trying to pick on you, cadillacricket, but :nopity:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts