Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope someone here can help me ,Here u have my problem
since four days ago , whenever a i put my car into gear ,my brake lights come on and stay on , did anyone have this problem ?
when i press the brake pedal it goes off , but it comes right on when i put it into gear
please help its driving me crazy :brentil: thanks Manuel

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Auto or manual?

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Probably- going to fly my RC planes now. Will get deeper into it later.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Found this in serv manual-

Stop Lamps

The brake pedal position sensor is used to sense the action of the driver application of the brake pedal. The brake pedal position sensor provides an analog voltage signal that will increase as the brake pedal is applied. The body control module (BCM) provides a low reference signal and a 5-volt reference voltage to the brake pedal position sensor. When the variable signal reaches a voltage threshold indicating the brakes have been applied, the BCM will apply battery positive voltage to the stop lamps, center high mounted stop lamp (CHMSL), transmission control module (TCM), and engine control module (ECM). Ground for the right rear stop lamp and CHMSL is applied at G402. Ground for the left rear stop lamp is applied at G400. The stop lamps on this vehicle will not illuminate unless the ignition is in the accessory, run, or crank positions. When the ignition is in the OFF position the stop lamps will not illuminate when the brake pedal is applied.

Control of lamps is through the BCM so sounds like pedal position switch is likely cause.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
I've had this problem off and on for several months with some success. I searched other the Pontiac G6 Forum and I think I found the solution (see link below).

Brake lights while driving - Pontiac G6 Forum

Basically the problems is with the connectors on the BCM (Body Control Module) which is located against the firewall in the passenger footwell. GM did not use seals on the connectors. This allows moisture to attack the pins / connectors.

First: Disconnect the positive cable on the battery.

Pull back the carpet, remove the plastic cover (held on with velcro). There are 3 connectors. The 2 smaller ones can be removed by rotating the lock lever and pulling on the connector. The larger one has to be removed with a 7mm socket.

Spray electrical contact cleaner on the BCM pins and the 3 connectors. Be sure to have rags to catch any run off, but the cleaner will evaporate very quickly.

I then brushed on "Wire Dryer" (most of the time it is sprayed inside distributer caps). I brushed it on because I did not want to spray it on the BCM pins or the connectors. I then used a hair dryer to help speed the drying of the liquid.

Next I used di-electric grease and spread it over the connectors.

Then is to re-install the connectors on the BCM, install the plastic cover and carpet.

The last step is to re-connect the positive cable to the battery.

When start the car you will notice that the lights on the heater, fan and flow direction switches will flash and if you have TPMS the display for tire pressure will be blank. This is normal as the BCM (and other computes) re-boot after you disconnected the battery.

The lights will stop flashing after a couple of minutes and the tire pressures will be displayed again as you drive a short distance.

I hope this fix works for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts