Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK ... after reading several comments in another thread about the issue with the inconvenient placement of the door locks and the annoying fact that you can't open the door from the inside by using only the door handle, I thought I'd make a formal request for a solution in its own thread. I realize it's not that big of a deal, but it does annoy me anyway, particularly when I have to turn off the car to let somebody out or else point out that they have to use the manual door locks to let themselves out (or try and fumble with the dangling remote to press the button there). Some people seem to want a "door unlock" button in the car, but that would be almost as annoying to me. I'd like to be able to merely open the door by pulling the door handle. Now that may not happen, but at the very least, I'd like to be able to disable the auto-locking feature in the car that locks the car doors automatically. Surely there is some way to reprogram the car not to do that? Obviously, it's not a user feature, but there must be a way to do it for somebody with a bit of technical know-how, even if it may involve snipping a wire or a bit of soldering. Any GM techs or tuners that may have some kind of ideas?

Yes, I know it's a petty thing, but please no slams about how I can just reach over and pull the knob ... I'd just like to get the car to do exactly what I want instead of having to "put up" with something that should be completely preventable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
729 Posts
You would think that there should be some easy change to the wiring or something to disable this.................along with the door chime.

I hope someone here comes up with the solution.

- bspate -
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
5,600 Posts
I hate GM's automatic door locks and wish I could disable them on my Silverado. I think it is wretched not to give the consumer his choice as to whether the locks should activate automatically or not and at what speed. Mine lock at 15mph which is WAY TOO SLOW and is a PITA. As far as I am concerned, the only reason GM does this is to wear out the locks faster so you will have to replace them during the service life of the car.

If GM is going to include this feature, then they should either be an easy over-ride to disable it, or there should be a way to reprogram the speed it occurs. I wouldn't mind them locking automatically above say 50 mph. But 15 mph is just ridiculous. Belted in as I am 100% of the time, I could drive my truck with no doors and I would still never fall out. :mad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,961 Posts
jimbo said:
Belted in as I am 100% of the time, I could drive my truck with no doors and I would still never fall out. :mad:
ditto.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,570 Posts
jimbo said:
Mine lock at 15mph which is WAY TOO SLOW and is a PITA.
My Solstice seems to lock around 5mph! Just barely moving. It's an annoying feature. In this day and age of endless litigation, it's what they have to do to stay in business and not lose millions of dollars in a lawsuit. Something they can't afford right now. All it takes is one kid to fall out while the cars moving and GM has to pay.

There must be some annonmous GM engineers out there that can post how to defeat it, just for educational purposes of coarse! None of us here would ever be that reckless! :blueangel
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,302 Posts
Change thru DIC

can you change the lock settings thru the digital information center.....I can on my malibu....just curious
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
5,641 Posts
PAO said:
can you change the lock settings thru the digital information center.....I can on my malibu....just curious
Only the unlock feature cna be changed and then only on an auotmatic transmission car with DIC according to the manuals.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,135 Posts
I don't think it's a big deal to put your hand on the remote to unlock the doors. I just would hate to think what you guy's would do with a real problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
350 Posts
Instead of telling the passenger to unlock the door you can reach over and pull the driver's side unlock lever and both doors will unlock.

At least I think that this is the case.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
201 Posts
do you have to kill the engine for it to unlock, or can you put it in neutral and have it unlock?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,570 Posts
ralph_on_me said:
do you have to kill the engine for it to unlock, or can you put it in neutral and have it unlock?
You got to kill it. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
621 Posts
Since the auto will unlock when put in park, it would be nice be nice if the manual would unlock when the e-brake is pulled. It would make things a little more consistant. Not a major issue for me though seeing that I don't cart a lot of people around. The FOB (i.e. the key chain or the girlfriend... luckily she doesn't read the forum so I won't get hurt for calling her a FOB :) ) works fine for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
deluke said:
I don't think it's a big deal to put your hand on the remote to unlock the doors. I just would hate to think what you guy's would do with a real problem.
You're right ... it's not that big of a deal, but it's something that should not be an issue at all. I see no reason why I should have to put up with my car doing things that I don't want it to do and making more work for me, however slight it may be. I got the power and convenience packages for a reason (yeah, because I'm lazy :lol: ) and that locking feature is adding extra effort for me and making it less convenient for me when it should be the other way around. I certainly understand why they put it in as a default, because of all the idiots who might fall out of the car and then sue them, but I will take my chances with falling out at random times and sign any waiver of liability if it comes to that ... I just want my car to do what I tell it and not the other way around. There should be some way to override that "feature". Again, I'm not trying to blow this out of proportion, because I can live with the added effort, but it just irks me that I cannot get rid of what I consider an "idiot-feature".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SolsticeDesire said:
Instead of telling the passenger to unlock the door you can reach over and pull the driver's side unlock lever and both doors will unlock.

At least I think that this is the case.
That would be a nice thought, but nope ... you can't even do that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,171 Posts
Drex said:
Since the auto will unlock when put in park, it would be nice be nice if the manual would unlock when the e-brake is pulled. It would make things a little more consistant. Not a major issue for me though seeing that I don't cart a lot of people around. The FOB (i.e. the key chain or the girlfriend... luckily she doesn't read the forum so I won't get hurt for calling her a FOB :) ) works fine for me.
What's your girlfriends name? Cause I'm tellin' :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
These are the only ways to unlock the doors;
  1. Turn the car off: unlocks both doors
  2. Use the key FOB: push once unlock driver, push again unlock passenger
  3. Passenger pulls the button up: unlocks that one door
It's annoying at first, but once you live with it for a bit it becomes habit. Like putting the roof up/down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,112 Posts
bspate said:
You would think that there should be some easy change to the wiring or something to disable this.................along with the door chime.

I hope someone here comes up with the solution.

- bspate -
pull the fuse and unplug the chime module....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,961 Posts
SkyMan 07 said:
pull the fuse and unplug the chime module....
Is there really a fuse or a module JUST for the chime? If so, I'm all over it.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
4,592 Posts
my roadster never has it's doors locked, I couldn't imagine it locking itself on every start when I don't ever want it locked to begin with, that would be very annoying..... :brentil:
 
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Top