Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a solo performance cat back and Dejon intercooler pipes and intake kit installed everything then went to trifecta after reading all the rave reviews bout how amazing it is....let's jus say I'm far from pleased or impressed with everything...not only does my car run like ass, backfiring under hard acceleration, even cutting out almost dying until I let off the throttle but I've data logged numerous times sent them back to Vince which takes absolutley forever to get anywhere with him, but nothing ever gets fixed if you ask me there's very minimal power gain dnt understand it, am I expecting too much? I love this car I jus feel extremely let down by all the hype about trifecta, I'm almost to the point where I want my money back due to terrible service an a far from acceptable performance for a 400$ tune...I've bought new plugs, regapped them at various intervals, data logged an little or no change, Vince says my logs look good but something jus isn't right with my car...anyone have any ideas or thoughts?

·
Registered
848 Posts
man, im sorry to hear this! I just very recently bought the budget tune ($200 with no logging) and I am absolutely thrilled with the results. The went from boosting 12-15, now to 22-25...huge gains noticeable (from my butt dyno) ...its just a lot faster now. I really hope you get everything worked out! ...one question, is yours a GXP or an NA ...i believe the huge gains from the tune have been with the GXP, I thought I remembered hearing that not as noticeable gains are made on the NA, but I could be completely wrong

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope I get it all figured out as well, not lookin so good right now tho... Yes I have the gxp, it's the only way to go :) ...glad you've had good luck with yours!

·
Vendor
1,394 Posts
So I bought a solo performance cat back and Dejon intercooler pipes and intake kit installed everything then went to trifecta after reading all the rave reviews bout how amazing it is....let's jus say I'm far from pleased or impressed with everything...not only does my car run like ass, backfiring under hard acceleration, even cutting out almost dying until I let off the throttle but I've data logged numerous times sent them back to Vince which takes absolutley forever to get anywhere with him, but nothing ever gets fixed if you ask me there's very minimal power gain dnt understand it, am I expecting too much? I love this car I jus feel extremely let down by all the hype about trifecta, I'm almost to the point where I want my money back due to terrible service an a far from acceptable performance for a 400$ tune...I've bought new plugs, regapped them at various intervals, data logged an little or no change, Vince says my logs look good but something jus isn't right with my car...anyone have any ideas or thoughts?
Did you do all of the mods at one time?

If so, you may want to go through and check the connections to the intercooler and make sure there is no leak, and also check all of the other connections in the engine bay.

Also when filling out the tuning form, did you specify that you had the Dejon intake on the car? That intake does require some tuning sometimes to get running perfect. To see if maybe the intake is causing the issue, swap your stock intake and see if the car runs normally, if so, atleast you know what it is.

Hope that helps,
Dave

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes dave im pretty sure all connections are tight, Ive gone thru an checked clamps ect. Car doesn't seem to lose boost so I wouldn't think it's that...and yes all mods were installed before I got the tune and I listed everything I had in the car in the tune form so idk what the deal is...very frustrating lemme tell ya... Looking into getting the car dyno tuned to see if a/f is good and how the curve is maybe that will tell me something

·
Registered
258 Posts
This is what I warn people about. If you paid $400 that what I paid for my HP tuners and haven't had any problems. What kills me the most is hearing about the customer service. Some people will have great service while others will never hear from him. My tuner gets back to me always within hours at most.

·
Registered
853 Posts
This is what I warn people about. If you paid $400 that what I paid for my HP tuners and haven't had any problems. What kills me the most is hearing about the customer service. Some people will have great service while others will never hear from him. My tuner gets back to me always within hours at most.
im not for or against anything here but you should mention that the 400 bucks does NOT cover someone tuning your car. Only the software and cable. I am not sure what you pay, but I know tuners can charge upwards of 100 dollars per hour of tuning.

·
Registered
313 Posts
im not for or against anything here but you should mention that the 400 bucks does NOT cover someone tuning your car. Only the software and cable. I am not sure what you pay, but I know tuners can charge upwards of 100 dollars per hour of tuning.
Hmmmmmmmm. I'm going to have to add something up and get back to you Jeb...:devil:

You should also mention that the $400 spent at Trifecta ALSO does NOT mean someone is actually going to tune YOUR car.
lol.

To the OP- I personally would strongly suggest getting ALL of your money back and finding ANYONE else to help you tune your car.

·
Premium Member
10,471 Posts
For my :jm2c: he needs to try the advice from Dave and put back the original intake.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All good advice thank you, I will give the stock intake a shot an see what happens, also I almost would rather get my money back and have a legit real person tune my car, to me you can't put a price on real performance I want my car to do what I want it to and if that's what it takes I'm all for it...I'm sure Vince is a good dude I've jus had a bad experience with his service

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also I had the intake on the car before the tune an it ran fine...not sure if that makes any diffrence with the tune??

·
Registered
313 Posts
I doubt seriously that it's the intake causing your issues.

I'm sure Vince is a nice guy, I'm sure he's a good computer programmer, but he's not a tuner. The other problem is the logs that guys send him are very limited in what parameters are shown, and fuel pressures are the biggest ones missing. It takes a log with ALL of the important PID's shown, and someone with a trained eye to read them in order for the logging to not be a waste of time. You can't tune for what you can't see.

If you can find someone local that has HPTuners, and can log the car, that would help much more than taking it to a dyno just to read A/F ratios. If the guy doing the dyno or "dyno tune" doesn't know how to tune an LNF, it could end up being worse than what you already have. Your problem is on the street, you don't necessarily need a "dyno tune", you just need someone that knows what they're doing.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Advice to making changes or modifications to any vehicle would be to only install one mod at a time. That way when something goes wrong, you can find out what is causing it. My issue with canned tunes is that not all cars are the same. My tuner had two brand new camaros right off the show room floor that both needed subtle adjustments made to the tunes to make them run right on each car. The canned tune is only a baseline for what works on most cars, but it's always best to have a professional tuner work directly with your car. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea I was thinking the same thing about the intake a well, and I did install each part one at a time and the car ran fine till I got the trifecta time then it all went to hell....I'm gunna take your guys advice and find a LNf tuner here in Houston and get it done right...thanks for the help guys!!

·
Registered
148 Posts
What fuel are you running?

The reason I ask is that after having the GMPP tune installed I was experiencing knock at WOT running on 91 octane.

Since I relocated to the east coast I've been using 93 octane. I've not had problems with knock since.

YMMV

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Yea I was thinking the same thing about the intake a well, and I did install each part one at a time and the car ran fine till I got the trifecta time then it all went to hell....
I can say the exact same thing about my tune from Vince. What I did was cleaned my MAF sensor as Dave suggested, which helped the car idle good enough to send another data log to Vince where he could see what he needed. I also sent him a log of me driving around town. He eventually "saw something" that stuck out, fixed it, and voila, car runs perfectly now. Give him a chance. I was saying the same things you were; getting frustrated with his lack of responses. But in the end he came through.

·
Premium Member
10,471 Posts
It does not hurt to try to put the OEM intake.
We know front past experience that the Dejon intake can give you issues.
It has to do with the MAF sensor.
You can always try to find a LNF tuner in Houston that uses HPT later on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hey all....jus for kicks im gunna give the old intake switch a try an see how it drives, i will also clean the MAF sensor and see if thats helps as well....i will let you guys know what happpens this weekend.

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
Hmm...hundreds of satisfied customers + 1 guy that has fitted other stuff to the car that isn't = the tune must be crap?

This reminds me of my old British stuff. Whenever a car starts running like a three legged horse, everyone starts blaming the carbs and usually meddles with them and screws them up, when 90% of the time it is ignition.

You might be on the right track with the MAF sensor - they seem to cause a lot of issues, and it is easier to try that first before you think about the intake. Good luck with it, I know it can be frustrating, but I'd have thought that giving it a good try BEFORE posting and trying to trash the reputation of a tuner might have been the more moderate route to go - from what I have heard, Vince gives good service.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts