Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I also posted this in the technical area...HELP! TRUNK FUSE KEEPS BLOWING TRUNK WONT OPEN?? anyone else have this problem I have serched this forum and can't find any info on the subject!! as soon as I push the truck release button in the glove box the fuse blows!!

·
Super Moderator
16,388 Posts
You may have a jammed trunk latch. I have seen similar when there was a towel caught in the latch.

You need to use the manual trunk release handle.

It's a pain but not really difficult.

Jack up the left rear, remove the wheel and the inner fender. You will see the trunk vent . Remove the trunk vent and reach inside to grasp the trunk release handle. Pull to unlatch the trunk. Then you can investigate. It may be a failed relay or shorted wire

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Why would you double post...

Does the trunk open if you push the button on the key fob?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
does anyone have a picture of the handle inside the trunk so I know what to feel for??? Thanks

You may have a jammed trunk latch. I have seen similar when there was a towel caught in the latch.

You need to use the manual trunk release handle.

It's a pain but not really difficult.

Jack up the left rear, remove the wheel and the inner fender. You will see the trunk vent . Remove the trunk vent and reach inside to grasp the trunk release handle. Pull to unlatch the trunk. Then you can investigate. It may be a failed relay or shorted wire

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well I guess I'm the only one ever to have this problem! fuse blows every time when I try to release the trunk??

100% stock solstice 40k miles no mods at all.... did try a larger fuse still blew it!!

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
I have never heard of this issue before. I am guessing your trunk release solenoid has failed and needs to be replaced
Ditto, several have had deck release failures (including me) but it generally traced to cable failure. Even purchased the specialty tool (which broke) to release the cable but that ended up busting so ended up having to take it to dealer.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
You don't mention if the fuse blows when you push the button on the key fob, just when you push the button in the glove box.

Don't use a larger fuse, that's playing with fire, maybe literally. If the fuse blows when the key fob button is pressed I too would suspect the release solenoid unless you have done work to the car lately that would have chafed a wire that may be shorting to ground.

Try disconnecting the plug on the solenoid that opens the trunk and see if the fuse still blows. If it does blow, then the wiring is bad. If the fuse does not blow, then you need to order and install a new solenoid.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I also posted this in the technical area...HELP! TRUNK FUSE KEEPS BLOWING TRUNK WONT OPEN?? anyone else have this problem I have serched this forum and can't find any info on the subject!! as soon as I push the truck release button in the glove box the fuse blows!!
jackpinesavage,

Sorry to hear that you are experiencing an issue with the trunk fuse. If you find that you cannot fix it yourself, I can assist you with getting into the dealer. Private message me if I can assist you.

Safe travels,

Jennifer T,
GM Customer Care

·
Super Moderator
16,388 Posts
You don't mention if the fuse blows when you push the button on the key fob, just when you push the button in the glove box.

Don't use a larger fuse, that's playing with fire, maybe literally. If the fuse blows when the key fob button is pressed I too would suspect the release solenoid unless you have done work to the car lately that would have chafed a wire that may be shorting to ground.

Try disconnecting the plug on the solenoid that opens the trunk and see if the fuse still blows. If it does blow, then the wiring is bad. If the fuse does not blow, then you need to order and install a new solenoid.
Good advice.
Sadly he has to get the trunk open to get access to the connectors on the cable assembly.

But he has to do that in any case so . .. :lurk:

The assembly is #19 in this drawing. The cables connect to it and are accessible from inside the trunk.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fixed!

was pretty simple getting the trunk open using the inside trunk release through the Left rear wheelhouse...

found a wire harness rub through contacting the metal frame of the convt. top EZ fiz once we got the trunk open....

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
Sweet! And thanks for posting the resolution. Picture of where the rub through occurred for future reference?

·
Super Moderator
16,388 Posts
Glad to hear you fixed the problem.

That cable assembly is an interesting part. Once I studied it a bit I decided that I needed to spare it so I have two spares on the shelf. Some day that will be unobtanium.:thumbs:

·
Registered
292 Posts
We moved the trunk released cable
to the inside of the car . Easy mod.
Place the cable behind the back panel
lay the handle on the floor. Behind the drivers
seat.
LLLFLY

1 - 16 of 16 Posts