Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bottom line up front- the car passes all inspection criteria, and today. The car is throwing no OBD DTCs.

But I noticed on my paperwork a Permanent OBD fault code: 7F 0A 11

I think (just think) this means a false-positive error for an unsupported fuel pressure.

Anybody have better info?? Can't find it on 'search' here, google-fu turns up more questions than answers.

·
Super Moderator
5,954 Posts
As far as I know, the Kappa does not have permanent fault codes. They were phased in starting in 2010, so i don't know why they would show up for any of our cars.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what it reads on my Massachusetts State Vehicle Inspection Report. Very last entry:

OBD Permanent Fault Codes

I've found ref to 'general fault' 'unsupported' and 'fuel pressure'. Also found ref to mode 7 being for 'unconfirmed fault codes', useful for check after repair, so a long test period wouldn't be needed.

Maybe the inspection software is looking for something, cannot find it since it isn't supported, and reports a false positive. Had it done at a Cadillac dealer.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
didn't notice until I got home

·
Super Moderator
5,954 Posts
A permanent fault is one that a scan tool will not reset, and that will not reset when the battery is disconnected. It does not cause a MIL and it would not be cause for emissions failure assuming that the other parameters are satisfied. It will be reset when the ECM records a sufficient time/distance/cycles to indicate that the fault is actually gone.

Since our ECMs pre-date their roll-out, I don't see how one can be recorded. It could be that the testing software shows that to indicate that the feature is not available in that ECM.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorta what I've been thinking all along. "Unsupported" probably refers to the unit under test not having a possible feature, it's a "permanent" thing since the ECM doesn't have it and never will, and the specific reason is probably dependent on a cyclic/algorithmic/timeout issue during which the test software performs some task, be it time, number of tries, or similar, and my roulette wheel lands on 11 for whatever reason. I expect to see this with every inspection I have for the car.

I was never worried about it, just curious. Thanks for guessing along with me. We'll probably never know exactly what is happening, but I am very curious to see if any other MA owners get a similar result. I also wonder if the test equipment in MA is the same as the test equipment elsewhere. Never thought about it before.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts