Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Should I get...............

• Solstice/Sky in a 5 speed???

Votes: 46 83.6%
  • Solstice/Sky in an Auto AND a Motorcycle????

Votes: 9 16.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I have a little problem. My Wife wants me to get a Solstice or Sky but she insists that it should be an Automatic!!!! I hate automatics!!!! I want to teach her how to drive one, but she doesnt want to learn!!! plus she has no patients when it comes to learning something new!! so I told her, I would get the car in an auto IF we could also get a Motorcycle!! (she hates them too, she thinks they are to dangerous :) ) ARGH I hate girls some times !!! :cuss:

so my question to you is,

Should I just get the solstice/sky in a 5 speed??

OR

Get it in an automatic and get a bike too??

·
Registered
121 Posts
You forgot an option in the poll:

"Trade in wife"

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Get 5 speed...tell her the 5 speed is much safer than getting the bike.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Be Greedy

If you get the 5 speed you don't have to share and it's always your car. I doubt you'd want to go to your garage looking for your Solstice/Sky only to find out your wife took it to the mall with one of her girlfriends. Get the bike too while you're at it...

·
Registered
753 Posts
telling my wife i wanted a motorcycle is what got me the green light for a solstice in the first place.
my wife told me she won't drive a standard trans also- but when she got a chance to sit in the solstice she reconsidered. now i'll have to share it for sure.
my advice? don't argue or she'll get sour on the whole idea.
be patient, wait for the solstice to be available in a dealer's show room, and then let her sit it one herself. be sure to tell her how fabulous she looks behind the wheel of a solstice. once she decides for herself that she can't wait a year or two for an auto trans to be available you'll be golden.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Did you tell her what car to get? You should choose what you are going to drive. Unless she is paying for it. If you are paying, spend your own money as you please. If you worked for this car, then get the 5 speed. And she will have to learn, what if an emergency comes up and she has to drive it?

·
Registered
350 Posts
heismybooty said:
Did you tell her what car to get? You should choose what you are going to drive. Unless she is paying for it. If you are paying, spend your own money as you please. If you worked for this car, then get the 5 speed. And she will have to learn, what if an emergency comes up and she has to drive it?

Saying that it is your money is a sure way to be forced to trade in your wife. Don't argue, but explain that you will not be able to get the automatic for at least a year down the road.

·
Registered
504 Posts
What I would do in this dilemma is to get auto Solstice for her and you,and a new bike for you.The auto won't be offered anytime soon.You'll have a new bike to tool around on until the auto comes out,then order a manual tranny on the Solstice and play dumb when it comes in. :devil: :cool:

·
Registered
100 Posts
SolsticeDesire said:
Saying that it is your money is a sure way to be forced to trade in your wife. Don't argue, but explain that you will not be able to get the automatic for at least a year down the road.
No, I do not think he should actually tell her that. I agree that saying it out loud would be bad news. I guess I just come from a relationship that is a little more free in buying what we like after we have set a goal and worked really hard. No, don't actually tell her that, she will blow up.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
since the automatic won't be available for a while, tell her you are going to get the 5-speed AND the motorcycle. When the automatic comes out, tell her you will sell the 5-speed and get the automatic. By that time, you will have had the car for 2 years and you could always trade-up to the hi performance model. If you never get around to getting the automatic, well then, oh well. what type of bike are you getting?

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Get the Solstice in manual this year.

Get a Sky automatic next year.

Trade the Solstice for a manual turbo (either Sol' or Sky, depending on which one you like after being in both ends of the styling spectrum) the year following.

You'll need two anyways - because "there's no trunk" :lol: :nopity: :rolleyes:

[:glol: JUST KIDDING, there's enough trunk, just throwing that in b/c I'm getting tired of hearing it.]

·
Registered
281 Posts
She's gotta learn. How old is she anyway? Teenagers without a lick of sense learn how to drive manual, why can't she? It's not that hard. If you can dodge a wrench, you can drive a stick.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
todd_raleigh said:
what type of bike are you getting?

Well the bike I want to get is a ducati monster!! SWEET BIKE!! and I really do want a bike!! I absolutly love them!!! but like I said before, she doesnt want me to have one because they are dangerous. all I want is something fun to drive/ride! and I could live with an automatic IF I had a bike. so I think I will get the bike :) and wait for the automatic. that way she could drive it and I will at least have something fun to ride on those nice days when she wants to take it to work :) I think it would be best for both of us :)

Oh and she is 35

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
The Batman said:
If you can dodge a wrench, ...
:glol:

I love that movie.

·
Registered
118 Posts
enderokc said:
Well the bike I want to get is a ducati monster!! SWEET BIKE!! and I really do want a bike!! I absolutly love them!!! but like I said before, she doesnt want me to have one because they are dangerous. all I want is something fun to drive/ride! and I could live with an automatic IF I had a bike. so I think I will get the bike :) and wait for the automatic. that way she could drive it and I will at least have something fun to ride on those nice days when she wants to take it to work :) I think it would be best for both of us :)

Oh and she is 35
I can't believe you just told us how old she is :willy: Why not just put her weight in print :lol:

She has to learn how to drive a stick. The bike in my mind is a whole differenct ball game but not getting the Sol with a 5 speed because she won't try to learn is...she needs to learn.

·
Registered
58 Posts
You should buy my 2003 BMW K1200RS.

It has 6 speeds!

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
That's why you have two cars right? You get what you want and she gets what she wants. Just be open minded when it comes time to buy her car. If she says she wants a VW Bug with yellow daisy wheels (automatic of coarse), just bite your lip and say "What ever makes you happy sweet heart!" Relationships are give and take.

If she doesn't want to take the little amount of time it takes to learn a manual, oh well, she'll have to deal with her own issues. My wife wanted to learn right away, and now she doesn't want anything other than a manual. Maybe she'll come around once you have it. Don't get the bike, by the sounds of it, you'll only have to listen to her whine about it the whole time and after a year or so, the nagging to get rid of it.

·
Missing my Dad 9/40-5/08
330 Posts
I'm not afraid to admit that I'm 35 also. My husband wanted a manual trans. for a long time, but I would never give in. (Bad experience driving one when I was about 18) When we went for the EOP at our dealership, and I realized it had to be a manual, I figured I'd re-learn. The Sol will be a 3rd vehicle so I can take my time and learn.

For us, it was a matter of whether we wanted to get a Sol sooner than later.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts