Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yeah i saw these a while back and thought they were pretty cool and i will be in the market for a car around that time and i was wondering is there a waiting list for them?

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Some dealers are keeping a list. Check with your local Pontiac dealer.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yeah, some dealers may be taking names already. But I'd wait to get in at the point where there is a more solid release date, and information on options and pricing becomes more concrete.

Not sure when that is likely to happen, next years auto shows?

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
naoki said:
Not sure when that is likely to happen, next years auto shows?
Best gues is yes...early next year for final info. That's auto show season (Jan-Apr) and Pontiac will be looking to build on the Solstice image leading up to the lauch in 2005.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Next spring is probably the time to really the time to seriously look at getting on a list IMO, although it certainly won't hurt for you to contact dealers now to see if they were starting lists. I'd be hesitant to put down a deposit this early before I had the final pricing and details, but dealers may just be starting lists of those interested that they will contact once they receive more details. Just call around, see what your local dealers are up to.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Going off of what they did with the GTO, I suspect they'll show the 99% production version at the 2005 NAIAS and give details about pricing and options and start a order list. I just hope that they allow us to option the Solstice the way we want it instead of just offering color and tranny choices like with the GTO. I would imagine they'll have a fairly decent option list, I hope anyway. :cheers

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
AFor89Mula said:
From what Ive heard it'll only be:
Color choice
Interior (color/material)
Audio upgrade
Wheels
and a LSD option.
This seems about right for most of the options. GM has basically said there won't be too many. They are estimating a fully loaded Solstice will be between $24K and $25K, so there could be a few more options than that. If these are not standard, then possibly options for ABS, Air conditioning, cruise, power options (locks, windows, keyless entry) and things of that nature.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Do you get the impression that the "base" engine might be smaller than the 2.4? It would be a vary sneeky way to hold the $19,995 yet sell most of the cars at more profitable figure. Like when they used to make the heater and radio as optional.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
DreamerDave said:
Do you get the impression that the "base" engine might be smaller than the 2.4? It would be a vary sneeky way to hold the $19,995 yet sell most of the cars at more profitable figure. Like when they used to make the heater and radio as optional.
Don't think they'll pull that one...they've already shown the 2.4 in the prelim specs so that would come off as bad PR.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
mceb said:
Don't think they'll pull that one...they've already shown the 2.4 in the prelim specs so that would come off as bad PR.
Yeah the edmunds.com quote where they told the reviewers the baseline would be under $20k is where we're getting most of the options list from. I also don't think they'll offer a smaller engine then the 2.4L too. They keep talking about having just basic options, and offereing two entire engine platforms kinda goes against that. Now of course I wish the 2.4L is the base and they offer an optional Supercharged engine, but unfortunately that goes against basic options as well.

If you read the what options at what price thread you'll see the options discussion we've had there, along with the hypothetical options list I put together [HERE].

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
DreamerDave said:
Don't think so. Offering a smaller engine wouldn't save them any money and wouldn't do the program any favors. They would get slammed in the press and by us for a bait and switch. They have said numorous times that the 2.4 will be standard. Besides, what kind of option is that? up to a whopping 170hp! That would be so weak that the Solstice just get beat up in the press. 170hp is fine for a base engine, but not an upgrade. Remember, they're trying to overwhelm potential Miata buyers, not underwhelm them.

·
Registered
533 Posts
AFor89Mula said:
From what Ive heard it'll only be:
Color choice
Interior (color/material)
Audio upgrade
Wheels
and a LSD option.
That would simplify the decision process. Any idea whether the wheel option involves different sizes, finishes (e.g. polished versus chrome) or different construction (cast versus forged)?

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I see no reason to expect a smaller engine than the 2.4L 170 HP motor. So far they have made it seem like that will be the only engine offered, with a higher output version at some point after intro. With the cars expected burb weight, using the 2.2L Ecotec would be suicide for this car. I doubt the 2.4L will cost them much more than the 2.2L anyway. Its basically the same engine with a displacement bump, and engineering costs will be partially amortized through sales of the 2.4L in the Cobalt and Ion (and likely other GM cars, maybe the 4 cyl G6).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts