Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i have just bought a solstice about a week ago and im looking for a turbo kit, i was thinking about the hann stage 3, but im not sure what the car will hold with stock internals, transmission, rear end, axles. im wanting 300+whp any suggestions will help,

thanks

·
Registered
797 Posts
Stock internals will hold with a Hahn Stage 3, I've been boosting with that kit for over 80k. There are other kits to consider though....werks has awesome products and of course DDM superchargers. :)

·
Registered
258 Posts
What motor is this for again? Also let's start with a key question, what is the application for your car, that way we can narrow down to what will better suit you. Will you be using the car for particular events? Or are you just doing car shows?

·
Registered
260 Posts
What motor is this for again? Also let's start with a key question, what is the application for your car, that way we can narrow down to what will better suit you. Will you be using the car for particular events? Or are you just doing car shows?
the N/A solstice features the 2.4L LE5

·
Registered
258 Posts
OK, so its the 2.4L. Well I know the Weeks offers a few turbo alternatives and DDM as well. A Supercharger will put you right around the power your looking for. A turbo will definitely get you the power. I'll ask again what is the application for the car if there is one?

·
Vendor
1,394 Posts
hi i have just bought a solstice about a week ago and im looking for a turbo kit, i was thinking about the hann stage 3, but im not sure what the car will hold with stock internals, transmission, rear end, axles. im wanting 300+whp any suggestions will help,

thanks
The answer depends on how much is 300+? If you will be right at 300-310hp how long everything lasts really depends on driving style and tires involved. The clutch is going to be a weak point at that power level and probably will not last. If you are doing track day events with sessions lasting over 30 minutes, I would make sure to watch your IAT's and also coolant temps if you plan on staying with the stock radiator.

If this is going to be something you will just run on the street with regular street tires and plan on staying right around 300 at the wheels, everything stock except the clutch will usually be fine.

Hope that helps,
Dave

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the input, im mostly wanting to keep it a street car but take it to the track every now and then, im more leaning towards the turbo but all i need is the kit and a performance clutch? and every thing should hold good

·
Registered
797 Posts
Yes you will, you will have to look at upgrading at least some of the internals (valve train for one) as valve float is a problem past 15 psi with out it. Hahn sells a kit for that as well as DDM (i believe). :)

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
You might have been better to have bought a GXP with all the work you want already done by the factory. If you see a well priced GXP, you might consider it.

·
Vendor
1,394 Posts
Yes you will, you will have to look at upgrading at least some of the internals (valve train for one) as valve float is a problem past 15 psi with out it. Hahn sells a kit for that as well as DDM (i believe). :)
Yeap, we have valves, springs and retainers if you need them.

I have never been able to find an answer to this, but how did you know that you were getting valve float with the HAHN turbo kit? Did you raise the rev limiter above 7500rpm?

The reason I ask is that the 2.4L and the 2.0L engines use the same valve springs (GM part #90537032), and the 2.0L engines will take high 20's pressure and 7500RPM.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
is that for the stage 4 or will the the stage 3 need the valve work to?

·
Registered
797 Posts
Yeap, we have valves, springs and retainers if you need them.

I have never been able to find an answer to this, but how did you know that you were getting valve float with the HAHN turbo kit? Did you raise the rev limiter above 7500rpm?

The reason I ask is that the 2.4L and the 2.0L engines use the same valve springs (GM part #90537032), and the 2.0L engines will take high 20's pressure and 7500RPM.

Thanks,
Dave
Hi Dave !

Back in the day I was pushing my car somewhat, trying to see what PSI levels I could attain using the stage 3 kit from Hahn. There are several reseaons why I couldn't get past 16 psi but one of the big reasons was Valve Float. I confirmed this with Bill Hahn Jr. but not being a tech like you are, I can't give more detailed info other than that. Could be the entire recipe (tune, air flow plumbing, size of turbo, fuel delivery method) but getting past 16 psi with the stage 3 kit wasn't sustainable. I regularly push it to 15ish with no problem however. My rev limiter is set to 6200 as Hahn felt that was best (less engine wear and power was more than ample).

Take it easy Dave !

BTW; your stage 3 clutch has worked a treat ! :devil:

·
Registered
797 Posts
is that for the stage 4 or will the the stage 3 need the valve work to?
Stage 3 could benefit from it but is not necessary. Stage 4, it is strongly recommended. :yesnod:

·
Vendor
1,394 Posts
Hi Dave !

Back in the day I was pushing my car somewhat, trying to see what PSI levels I could attain using the stage 3 kit from Hahn. There are several reseaons why I couldn't get past 16 psi but one of the big reasons was Valve Float. I confirmed this with Bill Hahn Jr. but not being a tech like you are, I can't give more detailed info other than that. Could be the entire recipe (tune, air flow plumbing, size of turbo, fuel delivery method) but getting past 16 psi with the stage 3 kit wasn't sustainable. I regularly push it to 15ish with no problem however. My rev limiter is set to 6200 as Hahn felt that was best (less engine wear and power was more than ample).

Take it easy Dave !

BTW; your stage 3 clutch has worked a treat ! :devil:
Thanks for the answer, appreciate it. Have you ran your car on the dyno?

·
Registered
797 Posts
Hi Dave ! No Sir I haven't. Wish there were one in my neck of the woods. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts