Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've disassembled the front of my '08 and I "don't find" some cooling shrouds that are detailed on the parts diagram(s). Watching the few vids I can find on YouTube, I don't see them there either ... so I'm confused. Take a peek at the diagrams below. I have and can confirm the callouts highlighted in yellow ... but, the highlights in red are a mystery.

Can someone with more "disassembly" experience confirm?

In 2M01, I have:
#14 ... 10345219 ... Air Deflector
#17 ... 15937524 ... Air Baffle Extension
#23 ... 15269137 ... Baffle

In 2M07, I have:
#25 ... 10345219 ... Air Deflector
#38 ... 25817337 ... Lower "Bracket"
but, do not have:
#26 ... 10384859 (L) & 10384860 (R) ... Lower Seal
#29 ... 21997958 ... Air Duct Guide
#30 ... 15827507 ... Air Duct

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like your car had a big intercooler before and the pervious owner threw those pieces away.
Nah ... factory intercooler. Like I said ... in watching a few vids on YouTube of folks working in this area, I don't see theses pieces being removed either.

Really looking for confirmation from someone who's disassembled the front nose before.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Are you the first owner? Then the previous owner put the stock intercooler back. All those parts are there on my gxp and i noticed them when i was installing an intercooler. Depending on the size of intercooler they got those pieces probably got in the way, you could trim those pieces but throwing them away is faster.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you the first owner? Then the previous owner put the stock intercooler back. All those parts are there on my gxp and i noticed them when i was installing an intercooler. Depending on the size of intercooler they got those pieces probably got in the way, you could trim those pieces but throwing them away is faster.
Again, factory intercooler ... never changed or swapped.

I watched about another hour of front end teardown's on YouTube & have come to the conclusion that the RED highlighted callouts I referenced above are present in Base models - not GXP's.

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious
978 Posts
Again, factory intercooler ... never changed or swapped.

I watched about another hour of front end teardown's on YouTube & have come to the conclusion that the RED highlighted callouts I referenced above are present in Base models - not GXP's.
It is common for people to “return to stock” their cars before trading in / selling.
Many people save the stock components when they do mods for exactly this reason.
Then they may sell the aftermarket parts as used in a forum just like this after selling the vehicle as “stock”.

the Hahn intercooler is mentioned because to install it you have to either cut or remove the Parts you are missing. (I had one I installed on my first solstice and it is huge and requires some editing / deleting of the plastic shrouding)

hence people telling you that is likely the reason why they are gone.
If you are not the original owner of the vehicle and are not 100% clear on its providence and history, it is a logical conclusion.

Regardless,
if you are unable to source the missing parts new you could check out a junkyard or scrapyard or one of the companies frequently mentioned in this forum that specialize in parting out totaled Kappas.

as an example, I have purchased a couple used parts fromRedline and been very happy with their services. Generally emails get responded to pretty rapidly.

good luck!

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Also if it helps I believe (going from memory here)

#30 Is behind the intercooler/CAC but in front of the radiator.
#25 is the “squirrel catcher” and is the lowest point of the vehicle.
#26 may be already attached to the squirrel catchers sides and may seem like they are missing if you are not looking closely..
#38 is essentially a plastic skid plate and is directly behind the honeycomb “smile” grill that runs along the bottom front bumper cover horizontally. It is always scratched and scraped as it is the “bottom” of the front of the car.
The intercooler sits immediately above it.

it’s a little dark and everything is black and likely dirty up there so you may want to hit it with a wheel brush and some soapy water (assuming you have the car elevated) and then dry it out with shop towels.
Also I have seen these parts assembled incorrectly where one piece overlaps the other but the top one was inadvertently attached on the bottom of the overlap…

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol ... ok ... maybe my initial post was confusing. I apologize. But, to reiterate ...
1) The intercooler in my 2008 GXP has not been removed, replaced, swapped, our otherwise fingered by anyone other than the GM Assembly Line folks & myself.
2) In the diagrams shared, I "have" all the shrouds "except" #'s 26, 29, & 30.

I'm hoping to get the attention of someone that has personally tore down the nose of their GXP to at-least the radiator & confirm that callout #'s 26, 29, & 30 are not applicable to the GXP.

In the hours of vids I've watched - of goth GXP & Base models - callout #'s 26, 29, & 30 appear to live in the same space as the intercooler does in the GXP.

Also if it helps I believe (going from memory here)

#30 Is behind the intercooler/CAC but in front of the radiator.
#26 may be already attached to the squirrel catchers sides and may seem like they are missing if you are not looking closely..
I think you are confusing #30 with callout #17 on 2M01 ... I have #17, which lives behind the intercooler on the GXP. There would be no room on the GXP for #30. Now, #26, I'm unsure about ... but I've not seen it in any vid of a GXP teardown.

... I'm just after an experienced confirmation.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
On fifth glance, you may be right as #14 in the first picture and #25 in the second picture apart to be the same part.

was there ever a factory NA that came with the GXP nose cone assembly?

unless #30 and #29 are (perhaps) directly u Dee the airbox I can’t see how they would fit with an intercooler in place..

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
lol.... this reminds me of the 'myth' that 'some' 67 corvettes came from the factory with big block hoods because they ran out of small block hoods....

Bill

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You didn't answer if you're the first owner though.
Take a picture of what you're missing under there
lol ... you guys. Gosh I made this request too confusing ... my fault.

I'm the second owner, got the car post-collision - had a high front impact. It's mostly all there, but since I'm not familiar with the Solstice I had to fall back on the part diagrams for confirmation. GM, in all their wisdom, doesn't always individualize Base Models & GXP's in their part diagrams - even though I had Ultra Filtering by VIN turned on - so it was showing me Base parts and causing confusion.

"Hosier GXP" came along and confirmed that #'s 26, 29, & 30 were not applicable to the GXP. I have all the other parts in question. That's all I was looking to solve.

·
Registered
793 Posts
My best guess would be that those parts were either damaged in the collision, or "lost" by the collision repair shop when the work was done.
I do not own a GXP, but I have helped in a coupe of Big intercooler swaps, and those are the parts that need to be either removed of modified when doing so.

3rd possibility is the original owner had swapped the intercooler, removed those parts. The large intercooler was damaged in the collision, the original or original stye replacement was installed, and those parts were still missing. You are probably the 1st person to notice.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My best guess would be that those parts were either damaged in the collision, or "lost" by the collision repair shop when the work was done.
I do not own a GXP, but I have helped in a coupe of Big intercooler swaps, and those are the parts that need to be either removed of modified when doing so.

3rd possibility is the original owner had swapped the intercooler, removed those parts. The large intercooler was damaged in the collision, the original or original stye replacement was installed, and those parts were still missing. You are probably the 1st person to notice.

"Hosier GXP" came along and confirmed that #'s 26, 29, & 30 were not applicable to the GXP. I have all the other parts in question. That's all I was looking to solve.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts