Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last item I would like to purchase is a windblocker but I see there are a multitude of choices. Plastic or glass? I do not want a lighted glass or something with a logo on it, maybe a tinted window. I have seen some that attach to the front of the Tulip panel...don't like that. Most of them seem to attach to the rear of the Tulip panel. How thick are those items? I think I have read that they are 1/4" thick. If they are thinner, do they hold up well?There is not much room between the deck lid and tulip panel. Does the rubber seal on the deck lid need to be removed or does it get squashed? I have seen prices ranging from 88 bucks to 300 bucks. Assume I will be buying off of Ebay...

Do they really work?

Any advice will be appreciated...

·
Registered
413 Posts
I have the Windrestrictor model ( mine is etched logo with light). I know you are not a fan of that so ill answer your later questions. My experience has been good overall. At high speeds I can hear the radio and have decent conversation with a passenger with the windows up as well. It does a decent job on cutting some of the back to front wind but I wonder if it is a bit high and scoops some air coming over the windshield. I have not heard of anything that mounts behind the tulip and I don't see enough room to mount in that small gap with rubber. I would think that anything that thin (acrylic or lexan) would be pretty flimsy. Also I think it could interfere with convertible top operation. That's one of the beauties of the Windrestrictor, it stays in all the time.

GODROD
Solo Dio

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
My girlfriend has a vert, we drive top down/ windows down no wimpdeflector. When we drove to Mount Rushmore in 08, 2nd day over 600 miles with the top down, no windows up and no deflector (hats and sunscreen yes). Buy a coupe or a sun roof car. :jm2c:

·
Registered
432 Posts
behind the panel is windrestrictor v1 in front of is windrestrictor v2, personally I have the windrestrictor v2 and I regret not buying it, I wish I went with the other brand that makes glass units and probably will eventually replace it for that.

so with windrestrictor there are two models and here are the key diffs

v1 (based on what I have read as I didn't buy this version) thin 1/8" plexi goes in the trunk and tulip (as you call it) needs to be removed all the time and I question how well the trunk would close as they already don't shut very well and need to be slammed but this would make that even tighter.

v2 (based on 1 year of ownership) 1/4" plexi so nice and thick, goes behind the seats so it looks aftermarket and not at all integrated very well but you can keep it in all the time. It does make a significant difference in blocking wind so it is great for the women for me it doesn't matter too much really.

But here is why I hate my windrestrictor v2 soo much.
1. It scratches super easy to the point of they include a special cloth to use to wipe it with but the problem is guess what happens if you take the car to the carwash SCRATCHES! If it was glass this wouldn't happen!
2. The glare off of the damn thing, at night it is a bitch to see out the back window because you see a reflection and glare back. My back window doesn't have this issue even though it is at the same angle so I would assume glass wont have this issue.
3. The bass from the stereo makes it vibrate and make a ton of noise, sounds like the speaker is blown out. instead of the rubber spacers they use they should be felt to prevent this.
4. In the wind with the roof down you can see it in the rearview wobbling, I cant even imaging how the super thin v1 would be! again with glass this wouldn't happen.
5. you cant put the seats all the way back directly up against it because it scratches so easy from a soft cloth imaging what that would do and most annoyingly over every bump it makes a loud rubbing farting sound. It is constant and annoying as hell. Not sure if glass would do this also or not.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have Wind Restrictor v2 and have not had any problems. My seat is all the way back against it all the time and no scratches at all on mine. How does it get scratched when you go to car wash?? I just wipe mine down with soft cloth and it is fine. I do get some refection on it at night but I think that is becaues it has a smoke tint on it. Also I dont think you wil get any better customer service from any other vendor.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I have Wind Restrictor v2 and have not had any problems. My seat is all the way back against it all the time and no scratches at all on mine. How does it get scratched when you go to car wash?? I just wipe mine down with soft cloth and it is fine. I do get some refection on it at night but I think that is becaues it has a smoke tint on it. Also I dont think you wil get any better customer service from any other vendor.
Yeah I was unsure about car wash scratches too as the top should be up (never took mine to the car wash ever). Maybe the OP could clarify. Squeaks with the seat all the way back, can be cured with a patch of soft felt on the back of the seat. Their customer service is awesome. Agree!

GODROD
Solo Dio

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have the V2 also, for two years now, no scratches, I always use a clean microfiber and water to clean it. It does vibrate in high wind, but then I'm looking forward most of the time... :) Does a good job blocking wind so stuff in car, hair, paper, food crumbs, don't get blown around. Yeah, the reflections suck when the sun is low, though the main reflection I get is the Pontiac emblem on the waterfall panel. Very cool!

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
I have a Windrestrictor V2 also primarily to keep peace between my wife and her hair. She scared me as we went down the list of options and she wanted every one of them! So we have a custom image (King Penn was great to work with on that), purple LED lighting, tied into the wiring harness to illuminate with the running lights and brighten with the brake lights. Has the dimmer switch package I mounted in the console's rear "storage" bin.

As others have stated the versions (V1 in the case of this brand) that mount outside of the tulip panel have to be removed when the top goes up. I didn't care for that, but honestly it wouldn't have been the swaying factor in the decision. Most of that design appeared to be simple enough to pop on or off but if it were clear then care must be taken to prevent scratching.

I have not had any issues with scratching at all. I generally blow any dust off of it and, if necessary, wipe lightly. We've had this for about six months and I've only had to do this once - it just doesn't seem to collect dirt/dust. However, it IS "plexiglass" which is an acrylic (PMMA) and that is not highly scratch resistant. You also need to be careful with any solvents near it (though I don't know why you would have them there) because it can be attacked. Polycarbonate (Lexan) is much more scratch and impact resistant, but I don't believe it can be etched very easily (in clear anyway).

There may be some design enhancements implemented since Ex got his. I have not had any issues with excessive vibration or noise with mine. It does flex and wiggle in the wind a bit, but I've not found it to be very troublesome.

There is a bit of a reflection/glare issue particularly driving at night. Oncoming headlights will reflect off of the restrictor and then you pick them up in the rear view mirror. Kinda freaky at first but once you realize what's happening, you understand it. If I did a lot of night driving I think it may bother me more than it actually does.

The illumination during night driving can be a distraction. If I'm driving any distance at night I dim it or turn it off. Again, since you're not considering this option, it's a non-issue.

As for effectiveness, it makes a tremendous difference BUT you need to have the windows up for them to work. The concept is to trap a "bubble" of air in the cockpit so that the passing air doesn't "intrude" so much. I can't say that the only reason we bought one was the wife's 'do. Long drives with the top down would start to bother my ears with the wind buffeting in them. Again, personal preference. As others would tell you having a 'vert means full out in the open driving.

Overall we're happy with ours. The engraving and lighting I could take or leave, but the CDI factor (Chicks Dig It) is high. As for clear restrictors, consider this:

Plexiglass (acrylic) is lighter and cheaper but it is also more flexible and scratches easier. Thicker the better in this material.

Lexan (polycarbonate) is incredibly durable, stiffer than Plexiglass, and much more scratch resistant (NOT scratch PROOF).

Glass has the best scratch resistance, is heavier, and likely more expensive (but I can't say that for certain.)

There are many forum members that have the GM version and swear by it. I hope they chime in here as for visibility and whether it can stay in place or not with the top up.

If you are considering the external restrictors just consider what the effort is to install it and to remove and store it if you're putting the top up.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have version 1.

At first I was apprehensive with the fit and finish having to install it adjacent to the rubber lip on the trunk lid. It fits and closes well, the only time it needs to be removed is when I put the top up, which is only when I give her a bath. Buy a California dust brush from True Value, it has a wax coating on the brush bristles, it'll attract dust like nothing I've seen, makes washing due to dust a thing of the past, and with a black car that says a lot.

The only drawback to the version 1 is the fact that the plexiglass will be making contact with the rear painted face of the tulip panel. Over time it does mar the surface paint. However when the trunk is closed it looks like it belongs there.

I've been using the ver 1 for a couple years now, other than the paint on the inside of the panel I've no negative comments. When the trunk is closed you can't see the scratches on the paint...so MEH. :cool:

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the help with your opinions. I am starting to think about using Kappa Windscreens, one of our site supporters. Thinking of going with the trunk mount, 1/8" thick, tempered glass, light gray tint. Around $250 with shippping. Kind of wondering about the thickness issue, but it is tempered. Personally, I just like the looks of the trunk mount vrs. the interior mounting.

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
I would assume 1/8 tempered would be extremely rigid. I doubt you'll see little more than slight vibration.

·
Registered
432 Posts
To answer your question and I should have specified I guess. What I meant was the car washes where they wash your car for you, they don't know to usea different towel so you end up with allot of very fine scratches, these are only visible in certain angles of light and it is something that kingpenn admits as an issue. Kingpenn has a special solution to remove these fine scratches if you call them.

Also mine is totally clear and I get the glare so that is caused by the plastic not by the tint on yours

Customer service cannot fix the issues I am having as they are inherent design flaws not quality control issue. I will eventually replace with the glass unit by the other company that makes them. I am just very disappointed but I didn't buy it for me I bought it for the ladies so sometimes we suffer to make them happy.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a glass version mounted just behind the seats. Looks great. Cuts the wind noise. Graphics in the middle will reduce your rear vision. One side benefit is we live in upstate New York where we use it to drive in the fall with the top down and heater on.

Also the night time glare is very bad. At night an oncoming car headlights reflect and looks like it's coming from the rear and running you over.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the v2 windrestrictor with glass edging.

No vibrations.

But I'm a big guy with the driver seat all the way back, it has scratched/smudged the area behind the seat. Mostly not noticeable though.

No issue with glare personally. The edging makes it look like glass also.

·
Super Moderator
16,393 Posts
I have nothing good to say about the BS comment about manning up or getting a sunroof. If I were to say it was crass and unhelpful I would feel bad, so I won't say that.

I drove without and windrestrictor for the first few months of owning my car. One October top down trip into the mountains convinced me that I really wanted one! They work very well. You can easily experience the separation layer of air streaming forward over the top of the installed WR. Then I discovered that you can have really cool graphics that light up in the color of your choice! A match made in heaven, functional and uniquely pretty!

We have four. One with a dragon flying on my wife's Green Dragon, and three different graphical designs for the a punisher. They look AWSOME in the day and unbelievable at night.

I personally prefer the one that mounts to the back of the cabin. It's less prone to vibration, mounts and remounts easily and I have multiple LEDs installed.

I believe the reason one might see reflections from the WR and nor the rear winds is because the rear window is angled downward enough such that the reflection zone is below the drivers line of sight. If reflection is an issue, mounting the WR at an angle should afford the same result

None of my WRs have ANY scratches. I just can not imagine having a production car wash touching either of my babies. They are notoriously bad for finishes of all types.

Personally I do not want a piece of glass riding behind me and my wife. They are heavier than lean and carry a greater inherent risk in the event of a departure from controlled flight.

In our club we have 47 cars. Half have at least one WR and enjoy the, we have two GM flycatchers and their owners love them as well. None of us chose a glass screen

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, now you have me thinking! Maybe I should call Kappa Windscreens Monday morning and see if I can change my order to "plastic". Went for a morning ride earlier today (44 degrees) so had the top up. Got to looking at the glass rear window and noticed that it is relatively thin but I cannot tell how thin. I am getting to be an old fart, fat, arthritic and I have the seat all the way back and against the rear panel. So if I go with the inside mount, I am afraid of the wear of the seat back and windscreen from the rubbing others have mentioned. I have windscreens on both my MG's so I know they work...but they are mounted differently and made of 1/4" thick "plastic". Right now, I am thinking more along the line of how sturdy is the glass? Sure do not want it breaking when it is right behind my head and neck! The front windshield and side windows are about 3/16" thick and made of safety glass...a bit different from Tempered Glass?

·
Super Moderator
16,393 Posts
Yea because it's not like the windshield, back window and both side windows are made of glass. :devil:
Good observation.

Save the sarcasm please. It's counter productive.

The glass you mentioned is all secured as a result of engineered fasteners and crash tested. The glass wind blocker is neither.

Have a great day

·
Registered
159 Posts
I bought one of the [relatively] inexpensive ones off EBy, 3/16" pexi. Mounted perfectly, looks good, does the job, and if needed, easy to replace. I might buy a spare....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts